Marhyde or equivalent

A place to discuss your primer & paint choices including using paint shops or doing it yourself.
Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Marhyde or equivalent

Post by Spike »

Does anyone have any experience or know of anyone who has experience priming with Marhyde? Alternatively does anyone know of other suitable primers that are single part and self etching? Ideally I'm looking for one that is available in both aerosol and bulk container (ie quart/gallon).

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Will

Marhyde equivalent

Post by Will »

You could try to find Sherwin Williams GBP988 at your local auto supply store. It is a one part self etching primer...works ok. I have been following the lead of George and Becki Orndorff using DuPont Vari-Prime directly over a freshly cleaned surface, works great and is super easy to shoot. I am not trying to build a plane that I could store on an oil rig in the middle of the ocean! I use the GBP988 for quick fixes and to shoot areas that can't wait until final priming, such as where the stiffeners connect to the skins on the rudder and elevators.

Will - My first post here...but I have been watching you guys :mrgreen:

http://home.comcast.net/~wcouv/

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Thanks Will and welcome. Please stick around and participate more!!!

-- John

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I started priming with Marhyde in rattle cans. Then it was banned in my area. The guy at the auto paint store gave me what was supposed to be the environmentally friendly replacement for Marhyde. It was junk. I started buying Marhyde again from Wicks. It sticks good and is very durable. I also like the gray color. I highly recommend Marhyde.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Why was it banned? Was it a total ban or just that in the aerosol form?

-- John

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I would venture a guess that the parts guy is giving a line of Bravo Sierra.

:bsflag: (finally an opportunity to raise the BS Flag!)

I bet he gets a better price from some other vendor and doesn't want to sell the Marhyde.

Just a guess... but it sounds like bullshit to me.

:bs: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

arffguy
Class E

Primer

Post by arffguy »

No he lives in the People's Republic of California-as I do! It is also known as the "Land of all things right and relevant." Hell, I won't even let my neighbors know I am building an airplane in my garage. They would try to stop me. I don't think the BS flag is appropriate here. I switched from Marhyde to Sems Self Etching primer because Marhyde disappeared from local shelves in my town too. Most RV guys I know go to Reno to get their topcoat paints also.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Wow, that sucks. I hear that it is worse than here, The People's Republic of Massachusetts. You folks had the Eco-Communists before WE did!

:cry: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

svanarts
Air Marshall

Re: Primer

Post by svanarts »

arffguy wrote:No he lives in the People's Republic of California-as I do! It is also known as the "Land of all things right and relevant." Hell, I won't even let my neighbors know I am building an airplane in my garage. They would try to stop me. I don't think the BS flag is appropriate here. I switched from Marhyde to Sems Self Etching primer because Marhyde disappeared from local shelves in my town too. Most RV guys I know go to Reno to get their topcoat paints also.
Right on the money! Welcome to Kalifornia. Now that we have our very own Austrian leader there's no telling where this may all lead! :sneaky:

Ahem. But I digres. My local auto paint store said it was too nasty for the environment and suggested I go to Reno to buy the stuff. Mail order is much more convenient! 8)

seed844
Class G

Suffering

Post by seed844 »

I would venture a guess that the parts guy is giving a line of Bravo Sierra.
Why do u do this to us? B)

Lorin Dueck

Post by Lorin Dueck »

I'm a first time builder - but my dad (RV4/RV9A builder, Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor, EAA Homebuilt Council, and teacher of several EAA Workshops) strongly recommends either SEM or MarHyde. I chose the 1-step, self etching MarHyde and have been really happy with it. I can spray a part - use a heat gun - and then work with it 2 minutes later. Besides, I like the color.

BTW - The best place I've found to buy it is Smart Shoppers on-line: http://www.smartshoppersinc.com.

Lorin Dueck
N194LD (reserved)

PS Sorry about the shameless plug on Dad....
:evil:

jimrobinette
Class E

Post by jimrobinette »

Lorin,

Welcome to the party. I was wondering what your relation to Jack was. I took his SportAir workshop summer of '04, and still frequently call and ask advice. No need in the shameless plug, as he is a great man and an asset to the community. I specifically looked him up at Osh this year and attended his fuel remaining workshop.

At first I thought it might be your mom building another -9! Are you living in Canuck-land also?

Take care and say hi to Jack for me.

Jim
Lorin Dueck wrote:I'm a first time builder - but my dad (RV4/RV9A builder, Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor, EAA Homebuilt Council, and teacher of several EAA Workshops) strongly recommends either SEM or MarHyde. ....

PS Sorry about the shameless plug on Dad....
:evil:

Post by Guest »

Jim (and all...)

Thanks... I'll say hi to Dad for you next time I see him.
Probably won't be until Christmas though - since I live in San Jose, CA (the winters are much nicer here!!) 8)

Lorin
Emp & Wings
(N194LD reserved)