Tech Bond

A place to discuss your primer & paint choices including using paint shops or doing it yourself.
dons
Class C

Tech Bond

Post by dons »

Not to start a primer war, but I wanted to let other builders know that I have decided to give a new corrosion protection product a try. So far I have read about all the various products used by quite a number of active builders here and elsewhere. I wanted to try a few myself, everything from self etching primer (Sherwin-Williams 988) to the tried and proven alumiprep/alodine/two part epoxy method. I did this over the last year.

I admit I really like the result of the epoxy primed parts, but due to physical shop size and a mostly unsuitable outdoor environment for painting most days of the year, a proper indoor paint booth that keeps the fumes away from myself and the rest of the house was required. This walk-in fume hood/paint booth turned out to be more space intensive and time consuming to setup and take down than I am willing deal with given my very limited shop space. I also found that trace fumes were still getting into living areas despite my best efforts of maintaining negative pressure in both the paint booth and shop, in other words, accidents still happenned. Faced with all this, I wanted a way to corrosion protect my project without the use of nearly as many chemicals and steps that allow me to make mistakes with respect to fumes getting where they shouldn't, which includes into my own lungs.

Ok, enough preamble, I have now settled on a product called Tech Bond from Nalco. Check out their website for lots of information including what this product is and what it is not. According to the company I am the first experimental aircraft builder to purchase this product and I know for a fact I am the first to buy the product in Canada (another story, but I won't go into it). I have no special knowledge in this field, nor have I spoke with anyone that is using this product, I have only gained information via what is available on their website keeping in mind they are not a small company. I am building an experimental aircraft, and this is one area I am willing to 'experiment' in.

A very short summary of this product is:
- provides protection equal to Hexavalent Chromate
- adds very little weight
- requires non-toxic preparation of the aluminum
- provides a surface for final paint without further primers
- far less toxic than standard protection products
- is available in small packets that contain a simple wipe good for up to 6 square feet of surface area
- no post application cleanup steps

Here is what I do to apply the product, it may not be quite as good as what the technical information states, but it is close:
1) clean the aluminum with MEK or Acetone
2) wash the aluminum in scent free Dawn dish soap and "clean water"*
3) rinse with tap water
4) rinse with "clean water"*
5) dry
6) apply the Tech Bond
*"clean water" (I used steam distilled water)

ImageImageImageImage

How well does it work, ask me in 10 to 20 years.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

That is pretty wild. Does color the aluminum or does the aluminum look untreated? Very interesting process.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Spike wrote:That is pretty wild. Does color the aluminum or does the aluminum look untreated? Very interesting process.
That is actually is the topic of one of my comments I am going to send back. Right now it is a bit difficult to see what you have covered on small parts because it is so clear while being applied. If there was some sort of die that would disappear after an hour or even a day, it would make it easier. The problem is that may interfere with whatever chemical process is going on, not quite the same as paint drying which is just leaving solids behind. There is a slight rainbow type look to the surface after it dries.

Before:
After:
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)