Prime alot of parts later, or prime a little parts now ?

A place to discuss your primer & paint choices including using paint shops or doing it yourself.
Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Prime alot of parts later, or prime a little parts now ?

Post by Spike »

Im just about ready to prime the HS parts so that I can close it up and call the first part of this project done. However, the weather is starting to get really iffy for priming. I figure I can try and prime the HS as soon as the weather gets good enough or just put the parts away and move on with the tail, priming all of them in the spring.

What say ye?

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Spike,

You can prime inside like I do. Find a window where you can mount one of those big cheap fans and set it up blowing air out of the house, through the window. Block off the rest of the open window with a piece of wood and then open the doors connecting house to your garage or shop so that you are sucking air (and fumes) out of the house. Now go ahead and paint your small parts with primer. Your shop or garage will receive warm dry air from the house and your wife will not smell any fumes, except her own photography chemicals! Leave the fan running during cleanup and curing for about 3 hours, then close the doors and shut the fan down, and Oh, close the window.

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Paint inside! Pretty much, what 'Stang said. I sectioned off a corner in my garage that has a window in it, installed a fan onto a slice of plywood. Whenever I paint, I install the fan and drop the plastic sheet curtains, turn on the classical music channel on the TV and shoot away! The classical music lets me get into the painting mood and the paint flows SMOOTHLY!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

mustang wrote:Spike,

You can prime inside like I do. Find a window where you can mount one of those big cheap fans and set it up blowing air out of the house, through the window. Block off the rest of the open window with a piece of wood and then open the doors connecting house to your garage or shop so that you are sucking air (and fumes) out of the house. Now go ahead and paint your small parts with primer. Your shop or garage will receive warm dry air from the house and your wife will not smell any fumes, except her own photography chemicals! Leave the fan running during cleanup and curing for about 3 hours, then close the doors and shut the fan down, and Oh, close the window.

Cheers, Pete
Great idea, except that the "shop" is our basement, and it only has one of those tiny egress windows (and a door, obviously -- but we have cats that will try to get outside if we leave that open). Alas, we are in a townhouse and have no garage. :(
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

nightflyer
Class E

Post by nightflyer »

For what it's worth, I found it convenient to get a lot of small parts fabricated, then prepped and primed them all at once. That way saved me having to set up the "process line" too frequently. It did seem that I wasn't making much progress at that point, but once assembly time came, it was great to be able to pull out a bunch of fully prepared parts and do some seriously assembly. I seemed to fly through the work! I drilled, deburred, dimpled, prepped, alodined, and primered all the stiffeners, spars, and other components for both elevators and the rudder at the same time, then put away all the chemicals and slapped the parts together. I plan to follow the same plan for the wings.
Ben
RV-9A #90217
Empennage

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Patti, sounds like you have already made up Spike's mind!

Done deal then! We prime in the spring!

:wink: CJ
cyphergirl wrote:
mustang wrote:Spike,

Cheers, Pete
Great idea, except that the "shop" is our basement, and it only has one of those tiny egress windows (and a door, obviously -- but we have cats that will try to get outside if we leave that open). Alas, we are in a townhouse and have no garage. :(
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Shes good at making decisions :oops:

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

WHOA!

They can re-attach those things now you know!

(j/k... dam, I am gonna get BANNED!)

:lol: CJ
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

:stone:

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

OwwwwwwCH!

:cry: CJ
RV-7

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

Captain_John wrote:WHOA!

They can re-attach those things now you know!

(j/k... dam, I am gonna get BANNED!)

:lol: CJ
:banhim:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I've been BAD!

:cry: CJ
RV-7