Topcoat..?

A place to discuss your primer & paint choices including using paint shops or doing it yourself.
TWJoyner
Class G

Topcoat..?

Post by TWJoyner »

When using a self-etching primer (such as Napa 7220), what type of topcoat is recommended as an actual sealer..? Would Akzo work here..?'m thinking of doing the rivet lines on the inside of the skins without having to deal with the alumiprep/alodine mess.

Thanks in advance...

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

The VariPrime that I am using isn't really much different. I am not topcoating it with anything.

It is my belief (and that of many others) that this is enough.

The coating provides a durable barrier between the substrate and the environment.

It will mitigate any creep, prevent the alclad from being scratched and penetrating into the alloy and is simple to do as well.

Less is more. Besides, you won't want to do another step repeatedly.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

i'll second that CJ. i'm using 7220, and i'm not top coating it.

the 1968 Cherokee 180 that i had didn't have ANY corrosion protection other than alclad, and it was PRISTINE everywhere (and it was a sightseeing airplane in florida for 20 years!). i know spike's 172 is the same way, as are thousands of other vintage birds.

it's my opinion that even 7220 is overkill, but it's quick and easy to work with. i just like that it prevents simple, light scratches and it's fairly durable. i want an airplane that'll be light, and last me for the next 40-50 years. i don't care about it after that, 'cuz i ain't takin' it with me anyway! :cry: :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I'll third that.

Rupester
Class G

Primer Wars

Post by Rupester »

...and a fourth. :)

TWJoyner
Class G

Post by TWJoyner »

Well, it looks like I'm guilty of making things more
difficult than they have to be... :roll:
Thanks for the replys.

TW

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

...speaking of topcoats, I am going to do some tinkering here soon and run a little test/experiment.

I have my EAA sheet metal class wing section thing and am going to shoot it with some Rustoleum. Now, hear me out...

Lots of people seem to be doing their interiors with "spray bomb" rattle cans with SHOCKING results! We have a -6 builder here that is doing a GREAT job and it looks professional. Also, others on VAF are talking about the same thing. Sooooo, I was walking around HFD with Thermos this weekend and chose a coating product to tinker with. Here is the method to my madness:

1) Profile the already primed surface and clean it.
2) Prime it with DuPont Variprime.
3) Shoot it with bulk Rustoleum thinned with acetone in the gravity gun.
4) Leave it out behind the garage in the woods for several months.
5) Examine the product, performance and durability.

Any thoughts, forecasts or commentary?

:roll: CJ
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Hmm, my bet is that as long as you do a good job shooting it and it comes out looking good, you will be more than happy with the end results, even after taking it to the wooshed.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Ummm thinkin' yah...

:wink: CJ
RV-7

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

captain_john wrote:...speaking of topcoats, I am going to do some tinkering here soon and run a little test/experiment.

I have my EAA sheet metal class wing section thing and am going to shoot it with some Rustoleum. Now, hear me out...

Lots of people seem to be doing their interiors with "spray bomb" rattle cans with SHOCKING results! We have a -6 builder here that is doing a GREAT job and it looks professional. Also, others on VAF are talking about the same thing. Sooooo, I was walking around HFD with Thermos this weekend and chose a coating product to tinker with. Here is the method to my madness:

CJ, Can you give a us a status of the test samples? Have they been outside since Jan '06? Thanks! -Jim

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

Currently I am out of the country for work for about two months.

Recently, I had to do a lap patch metal repair on an engine cowling, and a corrosion removal/treatment on the aircraft main entrance hatch.

The usual crappy primer and paint the navy uses never made it here nor did the alodine.

I had to use spray can red rustoleum primer and glossy battleship gray paint. It actually looks pretty good, and seems to be holding up well on a bird that cruises at about 300 knots.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

fehdxl wrote:
captain_john wrote:...speaking of topcoats, I am going to do some tinkering here soon and run a little test/experiment.

CJ, Can you give a us a status of the test samples? Have they been outside since Jan '06? Thanks! -Jim
I never ended up doing that test. I still have the product, but chose to do a tested and proven method instead.

I used the DuPont FulThane product on my bumper and I am still thrilled with the results. Did you spot that thread?

I recommend that method entirely! One substitution being the use of a primer/sealer instead of 2 individual steps.

:) CJ
RV-7