No more Discovery Wings!

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

captain_john
Sparky

No more Discovery Wings!

Post by captain_john »

My buddy emailed this to me earlier today:

<<DISCOVERY CHANNEL TURNS IN ITS WINGS>>
Discovery Communications will, on January 10, rename its Discovery Wings Channel the Military Channel. Stories will focus on the troops, their equipment, the Iraq war, and a behind-the-scenes look at actual military operations. The channel won't abandon aviation forever, however. It will still cover topics like military jet fighters (a show scheduled for January 28 ) and the world-famous Blue Angels flight demonstration team (scheduled for March 18 ).

I don't know where he got it, but...

I, for one am TICKED! It was the ONLY reason I ordered digital cable in the first place!

:x CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Its true sad to say :( I liked the channel but my biggest gripe was that 90% of all of the programming was historical and about military/war aircraft. It really didnt offer anything for current pilots about civil avaition.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

:offtopic: Saw that in my AOPA news letter today. I really would like to see T.V. stop promoting war. Another thing I noticed in the news letter was a blurb about Tom Ridge resigning and how sorry they are to see him go, :cry: This being because of his co-operation with the Airport watch program, very narrow reasoning (we all should be doing this good work with or without 911). What about the other usless garbage such as TFR's that can cost us our hard earned certificates for very minor violations. Airport Watch program aside I say goodbye Tom Ridge and ridance to ya. :offtopic:
Last edited by jim_geo on Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

I remember watching a pommy guy do this series of shows (lifestyle channel I think) on him building his Europa. It was a great show and I wanted more of that style of channel. Maybe they could give us a kit builders channel. We could even do our own show. Imagine

'Hi there folks. Yes its me, Snap. Here we are again seeing how our friends in the Kitplane world are doing. (moves to builder in shed) So Mr Spike, how is it going with your RV? Not bad thanks Snap. Just finishing up on the tail section now. So how did you go with that problem you where having, you know, the fly by wire system? Yeah, all done. I did have a helping hand though. I have to thank my lovely cyphergirl for that and also my mate John. Here he is know actually, say hi Captain John. Hi Captain John!. HAHAHAHA you are a funny guy John..'

Can you imagine the Fame we would have. We would be Kings. Bigger than bugs bunny :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

LOL... you REALLY have a vivid imagination!

What in God's creation is a POMMY?!?

I know the show you are speaking of (A plane is born and a CHOPPER Is born, he also made an Exec) and he is a Brit, but how did you end up with a moniker like POMMY?

There is also From the ground up with Joe Schumacher where they assemble an RV-8!

We need more of that kinda stuff! I agree!

:cry: CJ
RV-7

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

That is what we Aussies call Brits. They are POM's or Pommy's
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

You guys crack me up. Snap if you ever come to states please look us up! On a side note the 172 is done and I hope to get up to Mass sometime this winter CJ. That guy that built the exec and the europa also has a show where he restores motorcycles. What a cool chap he is 'eh ?

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

Ya know -- it's possible. :o

All we need is a server with good bandwith, and someone with a good video camera. *laugh* We could record little video clips of everyone working on their planes, sortof like mini tutorials.

"And here, kids, is how you screw up a rivet!"
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Cool, come on up when you have a chance! I know this little place on Nantucket Island within walking distance from the airport that has the BEST Gorgonzola Sirloin and a salad bar to write home about!

:P CJ
RV-7