Green means go!

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

captain_john
Sparky

Green means go!

Post by captain_john »

Green bottles, no... not Heineken! O2!

Did anyone else read the article in AOPA Pilot this month on the use of oxygen from time to time?

Physiological factors interest me. I have never puffed O2 but have always heard the stories about how an occasional snort does a world of good. The article has stories about how pilots have historically used the stuff with GREAT results! Improved mental performance, better overall feeling and sharper vision are all on the good list!

I am thinking of getting a bottle for the RV anyways. Now I am thinking of getting one sooner!

What is your experience? What can you tell me about using oxygen?

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Oh! And the article also mentioned this document about oxygenating your pet while flying!

http://www.aopa.org/oxygenforpets/

Most interesting!

Hmmmm, need to think about this some!

Need to take care of the little booger when he flies too!

:) CJ
RV-7

LooseNut
Class E

Post by LooseNut »

I think O2 would be a good idea.

On the one hand, I think the portable systems with the belts, buckles, and hoses all over the place are a bit sloppy -- looks like they were intended for certified planes where ya just aren't allowed to do anything.

On the other hand, I think a big installed system is over-kill for my VFR fun plane -- don't want to put in extra weight.

So, maybe a semi-perminant "removable" system could be designed. Some permanently installed brackets with quick-relase fittings to hold the green bottle. Maybe put the plumbing in permanent too?
RV-7A wings

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I was browsing through the Sporty's site and there are several different types of portable systems to choose from. A permanently installed system is a bit much in an RV, I think.

I came across some good info at this site:

http://www.c-f-c.com/supportdocs/abo1.htm

It seems that we SHOULD be specifying ABO when we order gas. ABO stands for Aviators Breathing Oxygen. The above link has some interesting information about high perfornace homebuilts on page 5 under the nitrogen paragraph.

It looks like the price at Sporty's can be beat, which is no shocker.

I am thinking that if I will be cruising between 5-10,000' at night, I will want O2.

I have made short trips at 12,500' in a Cherokee 180 and recall having a slight headache afterward. When the RV is done, I hope to be flying high and fast over complicated airspace. I expect that if I could make those altitudes in the Cherokee, the RV should do it easily!

What altitudes do you long haul, cross country RV guys use when you go places?

:roll: CJ
RV-7

jimrobinette
Class E

Post by jimrobinette »

CJ,

The NATOPS (flight) manual for the P-3 recommends the use of oxygen for 15 min/pilot prior to landing for flights at night where you have been up at altitude. Have found it helps some, but have not routinely done it, as the majority of my flying has been during the day.

Jim

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thanks Jim!

Say, right now I am leaning towards a 9 CF Aerox system with 2 nasal cannulas. Does anyone have any experience with these or any competitive brands?

:? CJ
RV-7

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

It depends on how high you fly. our RV's like to fly at almost any altitude. I routinly fly upwards of 10 to 12,000 ft when I travel from the Spokane area to the "west side" around Seattle. And since the mountain peaks are around 10.000 it's a pretty good idea. When I returned from Arlington WA a couple of months ago, I was at 11,500 with tail winds of around 50-60 kts. If I had O2 I would have gone to 13,500 as the tail winds were around 80+ kts. Sure is nice to see the ground whizzing by and the GPS reading g.s. of 255kts or so! I think it a good idea to install Oxygen. I have a small bottle and a regulator my dad had when he had to be on O2 for a heart condition. I should take it with me.

Dan A

4kilo
RB's First

Mountain High EDS

Post by 4kilo »

CJ,

Check out these guys: http://www.mountainhighoxygen.com/

I have used a lot of different oxygen systems, but the Mountain High pulse demand system is far and away the best I have experience with. At anything up to 18000 ft, this system with a medical type canula is the most comfortable and efficient you can get.

It is a little more front end cost, but with this system installed in my glider, I have to refill the bottle about 1/3 as often as with other systems. If you use it much, it won't take long to recoup the cost in oxygen refills.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thanks guys for all the tips!

Lemme tells ya, the most informative piece by far has been the one from John Deakin on www.avweb.com !

Go to avweb and do a serch for "deakin welding" and it will pop up as the only hit. TREMENDOUS! He does recommend the Mountain High guys too!

I think that I want to do my own refills like he says in the article!

Wicked Stick and a friend with a Serious SR22 are interested now too!

8) CJ
RV-7

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

CJ,

I'm sure you are aware that 100% O2 is pretty dangerous stuff to work with. I also expect that you know that you have to be very careful that all the equipment you use has to be completely hydro-carbon free or you could end up with a fire or explosion situation. Make sure that there is no grease or oil on any of the fittings or tubing that is used in the trans-fill system. The biggest problem of trans-filling is you need to cascade multiple cylinders in order to get a full fill. You really need at least 3 to 4 cylinders to be able to fill your tank to the maximum. Unless, of course, you use a gas booster and then you can pump those puppies up to 4000 psi, not that I recommend over-filling tanks:-)
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT

Thermos
Class D

Post by Thermos »

CJ -

After you asked last night, I thought back to those Aerox cannulas we discussed. I wore one under a helmet for some work stuff. They have 'ear loops' that go around your ears and hold the cannula in place. They're a little awkward to put on, and a little uncomfortable for extended periods. You should definitely try any cannula system on before you buy.

Thermos
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Paul, thank you for your advice! It is very sage! I can also see by your comment that you haven't read the article on avweb which I specified in the previous post. It contains all which you mentioned and more! Check it out. It is really informative!

Dave, I hear ya! I will look into the different interfaces (in your faces!) that the various compaines have to offer.

Can anyone tell me why the mask with the microphone which costs so much actually uses MORE O2 than a cannula system? It seems to me that it should use less because of the captive design?

:? CJ
RV-7

Thermos
Class D

Post by Thermos »

captain_john wrote:Can anyone tell me why the mask with the microphone which costs so much actually uses MORE O2 than a cannula system? It seems to me that it should use less because of the captive design?
I asked that question of the people who handed me the cannula at work. They didn't have a very good answer. I think part of the reason is the breathing technique you use with the cannula - in through the nose with your mouth closed, then out through the mouth.

:?

Thermos
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

ptrotter
Class E

Post by ptrotter »

CJ,

I've read the articles, I just wanted to make sure that these points are emphasized, since some people may not have followed the link when they read the thread. O2 is too dangerous not to reinforce these issues. When I was diving, I did my own gas mixing with O2 and did a little O2 plumbing.
Paul Trotter
RV-8 82080 Finish Kit
N801PT