RV Tail Wag

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

RV Tail Wag

Post by Spike »

I got about an hour in the back seat of an 8A this weekend and was a bit surprised by the amount of "tail wag" that the plane represented. We were flying in a decent amount of turbulence and it seemed like every time we got bounced the tail wagged. Ive heard of it before but hadn't experienced it. I think the reason stated was because the dihedral on the RV series is not as pronounced as on some of the production aircraft.

Has anyone else experienced this in the other RV models? I wouldn't call it a detractor, just an interesting thing to occur.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Womack2005
Class D

Post by Womack2005 »

Spike,

Yes, I have noticed this. But after a few flights you get used to it and don't think about it anymore. Now, I only have time in a 6A. Don't know if the other models do this or not.
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

I get it in rough air in the RV-6 too. I usually have to remind my self that I'm flying a 1500 pound high performance airplane not a 2250 pound Piper Aero. (that I used to fly)

- Peter
Peter Fruehling
RV-7 Wings -> QB Fuse in the shop!
North Oaks, MN -> Home Base (KMIC)

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

PLUS you probably felt it more in the back seat of the 8A Spike! You were further away from the center pivot point of the plane!

- Peter
Peter Fruehling
RV-7 Wings -> QB Fuse in the shop!
North Oaks, MN -> Home Base (KMIC)

aparchment
Class C

ain't seen nuttin'

Post by aparchment »

If you want tail wag fly a Diamond Star DA40.

I haven't noticed any tail wag while flying with my friend in his 7.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Re: ain't seen nuttin'

Post by cjensen »

aparchment wrote:If you want tail wag fly a Diamond Star DA40.

I haven't noticed any tail wag while flying with my friend in his 7.
I'll second both of those comments to a "T" Antony! The DA40 does wag its tail, and I've never felt it in my friend's 7 either. Didn't feel it in the 7A I've flown either... :dunno:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Yup! My 8 has a wagging tail in turbulance. Also the 6A I flew had the same reaction to rough air. I guess it's a Vans trait.
Dan

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Spike,

Like others have said, it is more pronounced when sitting in the back of a tandem RV.

I have grown accustom to it and hardly notice it unless I'm in the back, or I'm flying wingman and I can notice it happening to lead if the air is bumpy and quartering us.

I suppose some sort of dorsal fin like the 4 place Grumman's have might help to reduce it, but might also look a bit oddly on the RV's.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

I have not noticed it in the 7A I flew in but maybe a little in the 8A. I will admit though that anytime I get to go flying in an RV I'm just glad to be there. :wink:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

My 6A does a "tally wag" in rough air. It takes a little getting used to, but its no big deal.

Just kinda shake'n its booty at all the spam cans I guess. I just let her do it... :)
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

Thermos
Class D

Re: RV Tail Wag

Post by Thermos »

Spike wrote:I got about an hour in the back seat of an 8A this weekend and was a bit surprised by the amount of "tail wag" that the plane represented. <snip> I wouldn't call it a detractor, just an interesting thing to occur.
I noticed the same thing when I flew in the back seat of an -8 on a gusty day.

With CG further aft (a lot further in my case!) the vertical stab isn't as effective at damping out those yawing motions. Plus, sitting in that aft seat you're behind the CG and will feel the yaw a lot more.

I bet somebody could make a few sheckels if they could come up with an inexpensive but functional yaw damper for RVs.

Dave
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I haven't noticed it all that much in the 4. It could just be that I'm used to it.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

aerial
Class E

Post by aerial »

The Mustang II moves around a lot in the turbulence. I find that the way the plane is rigged it flys more stable at 2400rpm 140knts indicated. Lower rpm and it moves around more. It's fast and twitchy. I went up in a Warrior after flying all day in the Mustang and what a difference, but then my instructor complains about my flying all the time :roll: But then you can't be climbing at 2000 fpm and square off to crosswind with a 45+ deg bank without losing altitude in the Warrior.