Talk some sense into me

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I dont think so. Like you I don't have the rag in front of me. This one was a trike and had a wicked cool red and white paint job on it.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

OH! THAT one! I know which one you are talking about now...had a guy standing in front of it. That is a sweet paint job! I don't like the Sonex/Waiex in trike, so I wasn't even thinking about that one. Sorry dude... :oops: :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Womack2005
Class D

Post by Womack2005 »

Bret,

That Cherokee you posted looks just like the one I fly now (club). Whats the N#?

Also, the picture of your home is breathtaking :o

Looking back, when I began the RV project my estimated build schedule and financials were totally unrealistic. Now that I am into this over two years I have come to terms with what is really doable. Bottom line: I have no completion schedule now. I work on it as time and money allow. Will I complete it? Absolutely. When? Eventually. I (and my family wholeheartedly agrees) had to get realistic about life's priorities.

And ya know what? I seem to enjoy building more now. Don't get me wrong, I love a challenge and I love fast paced schedules, but it is so much more comfortable for myself and family to work on the plane and afford the purchases when time and money allows.

Hopefully when I get it in the air gas will still be under $10/gallon :mrgreen:
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/

smithhb
Class D

Post by smithhb »

Will,

The Cherokee is N29218. I sold my share about a year ago to devote to the RV fund.
Bret Smith
9A Flying (N16BL)
Blue Ridge, GA
http://www.FlightInnovations.com
APRS Tracking: http://www.flightinnovations.com/tracking.html

weezbad
Class C

buy/sell

Post by weezbad »

i would without a doubt not do this again. if i did i would build some kind of bush plane. Bearhawk is it?....my kind of plane.

i learned a lesson long ago that if you start a race dont change horses in mid race. i paid dearly for that mistake. :bang: anywhoo i may fly the rv for a while and then trade for a 182 :oops: but thats only because i refuse to build another plane. :cry:

also,
glad to see this place picking up a bit.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Wow, and I thought I was the only one who ever thought these bad thoughts. :wink:

So far I have enjoyed the build and would do it again. I also think I am building the right plane. (At least today I think that.) My only concern is getting it done while I'm still able to enjoy it.

Seems I have the money to buy parts but no time, or else once I get time, I run out of parts and money. Guess that is just the way life goes in general. I plan on getting it done at some point as I don't like to quit, just don't know when.

If I ever get caught up on work I have parts now and will bug Tom C to come and help me use them up. Then the problem is I'll be ready for the big parts, avionics, engine, prop, etc. That's going to hurt. :roll:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

Well this is quite the thread. Hearing some of the thoughts about changing directions, having second thoughts etc. is quite interesting and honest. I think it took a lot of courage to make the choice to start building, for everyone. I personally think it may take more courage to look objectively at a project in mid build and make the choice to sell like Scott has shared that he intends to do. Thanks to Scott for sharing his thoughts on what was I am sure a difficult decision. I wish him the best on his next course of action.

I think everyone starts their project with different personal objectives. For me, I simply wanted to try. This is something I wanted to do, still don't know if I can, but I know I will never regret trying...I would have regretted just wishing about it. I tend to plug along at whatever pace time, money, skill and health will allow and if I finish I will be proud of the acomplishment. If I fail I will never be ashamed of myself for not trying to do what I consider a life long dream and a challenge that may very well be at the limits of my capability to build. In the end I look at the journey and not the destination. As I read and follow the projects on this thread I am amazed at the skill level of the group and I constantly question my own skills and limited tallent. [Heck I took a couple of months before I finally had the courage to spray some primer on interior HS parts, having never held a spray gun before.] I just keep plugging along, little by little.

I hope everyone gets out of their project at least what they put in if not financially, in the knowledge gained, friendships made, (tools acquired :grin: ) or the time spend alone or with family/friends working on a project they enjoy building.

Again, good luck to Scott and everyone else that faces challenges along the path of enjoying their flying dreams.

CD
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

If we are to measure the worth of our projects by counting friends and experiences gained, then I've been very fortunate to have taken on such a worthwhile project. :mrgreen:
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Scott, if you indeed decide to sell, I hope you can still stay involved here. You have lots of knowledge to share--Lance
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

RVNewsletter
Class D

Post by RVNewsletter »

Back to the original post for a second. I know what you mean. In fact, I'm there.

I've about finished every little thing on the plane that can be done in my present configuration (finishing kit) without spending any more money.

So that means to finish this thing, I need to spend money.

One problem. I'm tapped out on the airplane fund. I need an engine and avionics. Scratching my head to figure it out only makes me lose more hair.

What to do? About all you can do is push the completion date back. In my case -- and I've been building for 7 years -- I start thinking in terms of being done by time I retire... 11 years from now.

Sigh.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Bob, I'm afraid that's the exact scenario I will be in this time next year. I intend to take a note out to finish the airplane, but other things need to be taken care of first before I can allow myself to borrow. Three big payments we have will be finished at the end of '09, or thereabouts, so if nothing changes income-wise in the next year...
I'll be making the same sigh...Image
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I think you will find that many people indeed take a note to build their airplanes. I think that the builder's who sling these things out in 2 or 3 years without concern of finances are definitely in the minority of builder's.

With prices of engines, avionics, energy, etc rising, I would not be surprised to see a resurgence of the grass roots scratch building efforts. I think the tube and fabrics, lazy flying class of home built aircraft will come back. Especially considering with whats going on with the FAA and the ARC. This could become a wicked cool time.

In the mean time, have fun guys, remember, that is what its about, even if your not building, you can still be participating.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Well said John. :good job:

I don't ever intend to leave (not participate)!! :wink:

I agree that the majority take loans...we just hear from the money-bags so often that "Cash is the ONLY way I'll build this thing". I don't even know what "cash" is anymore! :lol:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

I've been able to more or less keep it on a cash basis for the airframe... three grand every couple months is doable. However, when it comes to engine and avionics, that's going to get real tough.

My plan for engine is to get my hands on a cheap core and overhaul it myself with my A&P buddy, so hopefully it'll be another case of 6-8k for the core when I can afford it, and another 6-8k for rebuild parts when I can afford it.

Avionics will be the same way... on an 'as I can' basis.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

papakeith wrote:If we are to measure the worth of our projects by counting friends and experiences gained, then I've been very fortunate to have taken on such a worthwhile project. :mrgreen:
Well said PK!!! I'll drink to that. :drink:
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Spike wrote:...
With prices of engines, avionics, energy, etc rising, I would not be surprised to see a resurgence of the grass roots scratch building efforts. I think the tube and fabrics, lazy flying class of home built aircraft will come back. Especially considering with whats going on with the FAA and the ARC. This could become a wicked cool time.

In the mean time, have fun guys, remember, that is what its about, even if your not building, you can still be participating.
Hey! I'm finally on the leading edge of a trend!

I have already built my RV. The RV-4 took 5 years to build and it has been a blast to fly. I'm sure the RV-7 would be a blast too and the kit has been amazing to work with. But the RV is just not suited for going out and buzzing the local countryside or exploring mountain airstrips which is what I love to do. Couple that witht the fact that I could build an entire Sonex for less than the cost of the engine for the RV-7... well the plane just doesn't fit any more.

At this point I think I'm going back to tube and fabric, you know, the kind of airplanes God intended man to fly. :) (I'm sure PK will agree.) I won't be able to fly two states away for breakfast and still be home by lunch time but then I never did that with my RV-4 either. But I will be able to set down on some really small mountain strips or next to some of the lakes and drop a line in the water and be home by lunch.

I'll update the "what's your next project" thread with what I'm looking at now. You're going to have a hard time telling the difference between Chad and I with all the times I'm going to change my mind before I buy the next kit. :)
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

I like the tube and fabric approach as well....

I have a bit of a long term plan:

I'm going to keep plugging away on my RV, of course, but my buddy Dan and I are going to endeavor to build a super cub together in the meantime. He's built several tube and rag planes, and he's a phenomenal welder, so he'll likely do a fair amount of the work. Once the super cub is done, I'll have a taildragger to fly to learn and get experience, plus we'll have the ability to do a lot of STOL type stuff, which I really want!

After flying the supercub around a bit, we plan to sell it and use the proceeds to build a pair of Pitts S2C's. Then we're going to go scramble our brains, chase each other up rivers, and laser-tag dogfight.

:D
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

WHOA, whoa... WHOA!!!

Wasup with all this dissension!?!

I would do this all over again! The RV has been a wonderful aluminum sculpture and I look forward to flying it someday.

No doubt, I agree with much that has been said in this thread like the friends we meet along the way and the camaraderie. It is a wild ride, for sure! It teaches you much about flying, building, patience and most importantly, yourself! These things could be earned with most any airplane project, I am sure.

The RV is the plane for me, though. It is fast, cost effective, sporty and detail oriented. I am sure that I will build at least one more plane in my life. I am just really glad the RV will be the first one.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

rv8or
Class E

Post by rv8or »

I was wondering when you were going to chime in on this thread. Had me worried. I was going to start calling all the NE hsopitals...:P

BTW, I'm off the ledge, for now. I just put the scratch pad with the list of avionics/prices away--that fixed everything :wink:

J
Joe Ferraro
aka: "jferraro16"
DFW, RV-8A Fuse

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Joe, lemme tells ya... this thread is outta control!

They are the enemy!

If any lurkers are reading this thread, pay no attention to the men behind the glass! They know not what they say!

:o CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!