My first four rivets... yay!

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

My first four rivets... yay!

Post by spikescopilot »

Spike let me do a couple of the rivets in the training kit last night -- four of them, actually. It was a lot easier than I was thinking it would be. :yay: They're the right-most four in this picture:

He says I'm a good riveter. :bow:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

Akroguy
Class G

Post by Akroguy »

Good job! Backriveting is awesome. I backriveted about 75% of the entire tailcone on the RV10. Really goes quickly. Just watch your set alignment...check reflection of the set in the shiny aluminum to see that it's perpendicular to the surface. Granted, it's not all that important in the strength of the rivet as they are typicaly loaded in shear vs. tension. But it is more critical when you're doing flush riveting. An off-axis gun alignment to the surface can put smilies in the skin. Smiles are NOT a good thing in this instance. If you haven't purchased a swiveling flush rivet set yet, DO SO NOW. It will save you some angst and allows one person flush riveting once you get the hang of it.

Signed, your friend NANCY. :mrgreen:
RV8 N94BD, five years of RV grins. RV-10 underway.