Someone Talk Me Outta This

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Thomas
Class G

Someone Talk Me Outta This

Post by Thomas »

Hello All,

My name is Tom and I'm new to rivetbangers. I've been a pilot for 20 something years flying mostly Beech Sundowners, and Piper Cherokees. I owned a Cherokee for about 3 years and recently had to sell it.

Now that the nest is empty, I've been thinking about building a RV-7A. I'd like to know if there are any owner/builders in the KTTN area. I've actually never seen a VAN in real life, and would certainly like the opportunity to see and fly in one before I committ to this crazy idea.

If there is anyone in my area willing to show off their airplane I'd greatly appreciate it. Of course I'm willing to share fuel costs for a demo ride. I'll even buy lunch if you'd like to take a little trip to KTTN (a very nice class D airport).

Any other wisdom and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

:welcome:

Now do you really think people are going to try and talk you out of this? We have some people up in the New England area that can probably hook you up. If not we can find someone.

I guess my question would be, why do you want to build an airplane? And why an RV-7? If you want to build an RV to have an RV then don't build an RV. Its much less stressful to buy one already flying. There are some great examples out there. If you want to build one because you want to build an airplane, then jump right in. It will be the most rewarding, frustrating, time consuming, depressing, exciting thing you will probably do next to having children.

*snicker* it seems like every other day I am either really excited about progress or ready to quit.

Welcome to the group and I hope we can help you out!

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Thomas
Class G

Post by Thomas »

Thanks for the reply Spike...

Well, it's a good question. I think my main reason for wanting to build is because I LOVE to build stuff, and I vowed never again to pay my mechanic $500 to change a tire on my Cherokee. I've been building wooden boats for years, but if I add one more boat to my fleet my wife is going to kill me (not sure how she feels about me adding an airplane yet).

Anyway - I'm still in the fact gathering stage with this decision, so any info anyone is willing to share is greatly appreciated.

T.

smithhb
Class D

Post by smithhb »

Thomas,

If you want a visual idea of what it is like to build an airplane, just take a couple of hours and go through my builders log http://www.FlightInnovations.com.

It took me 3.5 years to build the best model Vans offers :) and that was mostly on weekends.
Bret Smith
9A Flying (N16BL)
Blue Ridge, GA
http://www.FlightInnovations.com
APRS Tracking: http://www.flightinnovations.com/tracking.html

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

And I am still waiting for my ride!

--Spike

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Thomas wrote:..... but if I add one more boat to my fleet my wife is going to kill me (not sure how she feels about me adding an airplane yet).

Anyway - I'm still in the fact gathering stage with this decision, so any info anyone is willing to share is greatly appreciated.

T.
You may want to make sure you can clear the "wife" hurdle before you leap.

Building a RV-7a with new components is a $70,000 or more project that will take 2-10yrs. Sometimes, you will be thrilled by your progress to the point your wife will probably want you to tone it down she's heard enough. Othertimes, you'll both be excited about what lies ahead when you finally are finished. Days that you'll think will I ever finish? where is the money going to come from? wish I was flying now?

Anyway think long and hard before you start. I've built lots of stuff, custom cars, a big house, even a different airplane(Rans S-6).

RV's are a special build and take a special commitment.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

Tom,

Welcome to the forum. You are in good company.

I remember my first ride in an RV-8. I had the same thought process as you.

I wanted to actually ride in one and take the stick...you know...just to be "sure" I wanted to do this. I thought "well, I should probably at least fly one once before I make that committment." On the surface...that is a smart move. This is a great idea and it will give you great comfort when you take the plunge.

Be forwarned; that ride is not going to convince you to NOT build...it is CRACK COCAINE. You can't think of anything else but the next FIX!

In my case the pilot made an unannounced roll shortly after we got to altitude. Then the hammerhead. I was ready to write the check before we landed. There was no intelectual thought or reason any more.

Granted you may not have in interest in aerobatics. You will just take the stick and feel the response and you think "geez...I need to build me one of these." Thats how they get you! :o

The first ride is free...the next thing you know you are hiding tool catalogs from your wife, meeting UPS at the end of the block, and considering hireing the kids out just to scrape together money pick up that 3x rivet gun.

Talk you out of it? Sorry...you came to the wrong place. You meant to type rivetbangersannonymous.com.

This grouped is hooked. Welcome to the support group.
:grouphug:

In all seriousness...if you like learning new things, love aviation, look forward to meeting others who love aviation, have the desire to accomplish a really great goal; then you will love this kind of a project. It is truely a great journey and will be very rewarding.

Check out the web sites of some of these builders and you will be educated and inspired...I know I am every time I do.

I have never regretted the decision, and I am a long way from the end, in fact I am setting records for the slowest builder and I don't care; it is so much fun that I am satisfied that I will finish, when I finish.

I wish you the best of luck in your decision. Personally, I hope you give it a try.

CD
Last edited by Cherokee Driver on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Tom,

Welcome! I can really relate to what you're going through right now with the decision making process. It seems like just yesterday that I was doing the same thing. I'm now a little over 2-1/2 years into my project, and I have never regretted it for even a day. It's truly one of the most rewarding things I have ever done in my life.

I would suggest that you find a local EAA chapter and get involved. Go to some meetings and fly-ins. You'll meet a great bunch of guys and get a chance for some hands-on experience with pounding rivets, and a demo ride or two. RV's are being built everywhere. It shouldn't be too hard to find a few nearby.

I also agree with the comment about finding a website or two that you can read and follow. I read every word on several of them before I started. It gave me some great insight into the daily thrills and frustrations commonly experienced by builders. You're welcome to check out mine if you like, even though we're on opposite sides of the country. The internet and places like RivetBangers unite us all together.

One other comment I might make from my perspective is that the initial cost of entry is relatively low. Therefore, so is your risk. When you consider that a well-built RV-7A can sell for six figures, it's amazing to me that you can buy the tail kit and get started for only about $1,600. You'll need your tools, too, of course, but my point is that by the time your empennage is finished, you'll know for sure whether or not this is for you. If it isn't, sell it and move on. Your loss is very small, if any, at that point. Where else can you get a deal like that? Less than 2% down, if you look at it that way, to take the plunge. That's very little risk, in my book. You don't have to bet the ranch. So why not jump in and come join us!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Hi Thomas. There is some very good advice and comments above. The bit from Bruce about how little it costs to do the emp kit is something a lot of people overlook when they are trying to decide. You can get back most of what you put in with respect to actual cash, so the risk of giving it a try is quite low compared to a lot of big ticket 'hobbies'.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

This is such an interesting bit of advice, at least I think. I would change it a bit to say that building the emp will let you know if you might not like building. Meaning that if you don't like building the emp you certainly won't like building the rest of it. I don't believe its a reflexive relationship though. That is to say that if you like building the emp you may or may not like the rest of the kit. The kits get more difficult to build and the instructions more terse.

It definitely is a good indicator but it is not a completely true sample of whats in store for the builder. I am most definitely not about trying to talk people out of building, just trying to give as realistic of a picture as possible. To some extent I wish I had done a better job with this for myself back when I was starting. I was very, uh, 'starry eyed'.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Defenitely get a ride in one and hopefully talk with someone who recently completed building or is still building. Most EAA Chapters probably have one or more members building or have build an RV. I had decided to build an RV before I started flying lessons. If there is no one immediately around you with an RV arrange to go to a community where there are some RV builders active! In MN we have the MN Wing which has members from Western Wisconsin, Iowa, North and South Dakota and of course MN. We are having our Annual picnic on 9/26/09. We get together about four times a year and their are builders groups you can access by going on Van'sAircraft.Com N-784TB flying since 5/9/09 :) :)

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

If you look at it as building a plane because you like to build things, they you will certainly have fun. If you look at it as building yourself an airplane, you'll get impatient real quick.

See if you can get a ride in an RV-6 or -7. Once you do, no one will be able to talk you out of it.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD