New Guy

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Joe Parish
Class D

New Guy

Post by Joe Parish »

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am only dreamin of building right now. I have only had my certificate for 10 months now, which was a childhood dream to learn to fly. I am starting to draw up a plan to acquire a bigger compressor (just sold small one) and start buying tools. Need to also run 220 to garage for compressor. That may take awhile not alot of extra cash flow right now.

I enjoy keeping up with everyones progress, I am trying to find someone in the area that is building right now to check out a build in progress first hand? Keep up the great work everyone!

Joe Parish
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

welcome Joe.
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

:welcome: to RB Joe!! Glad to have you!

Post up some pics of your soon-to-be-shop, and let us know what you are thinking for a compressor...many of us, including me, built just fine on a 110 compressor... :wink: I used this one for the majority of my project-

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... _productpg

Works great, and is quiet! A 220 compressor would be cool but they are immobile...though the output is superior!

Can't wait to see your post on getting started! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

chad

I am looking at a 3hp 60 gallon cambell hausfield(sp) I figure the less time I have to spend listening to it run the better. It puts out 10.2 cfm at 90 psi. I don't think that will be to bad. The best price I have found is $399. I will work on the pictures I am not exactly great with a computer. I will see what I can do! I now have enough saved to purchase the compressor, any input from anyone with an opinion is appreciated!
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Welcome!! Neat to see someone who is almost local.

Post some pictures, and keep posting.

Lance
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

Bob Barrett
Class C

Welcome Joe!

Post by Bob Barrett »

You can chose between Lance 53 and myself. I have a flying RV-6A and Lance with his flying RV-8. I took the wing tips, gear leg fairings, upper gear leg fairings and wheel pants off in Febrauray to finish some fiberglass work that was needed and paint them. I took them to the paint shop yesterday and they should be done by 5/17/10 hopefully sooner! Then I will put them on and start flying it again. A smaller compressor that can be moved in the back of a van or pickup is a good thing. Unless you have a hanger that has a compressor. There are a lot of RV-kits that someone else has purchased and then discontinued. They can be picked up reasonable. Just make sure you aren't buying a lot of probvlems. There were several guys at South Dakota Air National Guard base that had some flying RV-3's about ten years ago. There is also a squadron of RV-3's that preform formation aerobatics that I believe is or was based at Sioux Falls. You are free to stop by here anytime. :)

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Joe,

Welcome! I would strongly encourage you to find your nearest EAA chapter and get involved. Most chapters have monthly meetings you can go to and see other projects in progress. You'll meet some great people, find a lot of good advice, and have some help when you need it. Occasional visits from a technical counselor have been extremely valuable to me. You may find a good used compressor and/or other tools and such for sale, too.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

There are a couple of 8s going together around me, an 8a in Casselton by Bob Miller, (bronze lindy for his 8, 127RM) and a friend about ten miles from me that is working on an 8, and is about a year or two from flying.

You are welcome to come up anytime, it would be fun to talk.

Lance
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Bob and Lance thanks for the invite, if im in the area I will take you up on that. I like the idea of a portable compressor for moving to the hanger. I believe that is the way I will go. I don't think I will be buying someone else project, I suppose if a great deal comes along you never know. I am thinking 9 or 9A right know. No TW experience but I think it would be fun.

That aerobatics team(The Vangaurd Squadron) is based out of Y14 which is just south of Sioux Falls That is were I received my flight training and rent a 172 once in awhile. I was hoping to check out a project in progress. I do have a few leads on that.

I also plan on joining the local EAA chapter as Bruce suggested. I will definetly need alot of assitance along the way.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

1:1_Scale
Class D

Post by 1:1_Scale »

Welcome to the fray, Joe :)
Kelly
RV-7 Empennage done, wings done, fuselage to QB stage
1947 Stinson108-1 flying

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Welcome :welcome: Glad to have you. Make yourself comfortable and jump right in!

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Thanks Spike! :lol:
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A