When aviation nickels and dimes you...

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

tmbg
Class C

When aviation nickels and dimes you...

Post by tmbg »

it does so $1000 at a time!

I'm at the stage of the RV where I have to start buying lots of little "insignificant" items, that all collectively add up to a crapton of money. All the little concessions in the plans that few of us seem inclined to want to make, such as the brake tubing pitot and the garden spigot fuel valve.

The right wing got a Trio servo bracket, which I'm very impressed with. I'm going to go ahead and pull some 4x22ga shielded cable for the servo.
It also has AFS AOA ports that I installed years ago... I'm still completely up in the air about who will end up in my panel, so I went ahead and ran the tubing for those ports.

Installed a dynon heated pitot in the left wing this past weekend in preparation for closing up the wings. All the interior in the fuselage is done up to the carrythrough, and the book has me mounting wings and tail next, so I'm working on getting these wings ready to mount.

That wiring is secured, but I'm not crazy about how it looks, and I'm not crazy about the spade connectors. I think they're going to be a nightmare to deal with through the bellcrank access panel, so I'm going to redo the wiring this weekend. I may even move the controller to the bellcrank bay.

I ordered from Vans their AFP boost pump kit and Andair fuel valve; also a new set of skins, stiffeners, and trailing wedge for my rudder which got damaged pretty good in the move to the airport.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Ahhh...the slippery slope to completion. It's an expensive stage of the game for sure!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

newtech
Class E

Post by newtech »

cjensen wrote:Ahhh...the slippery slope to completion. It's an expensive stage of the game for sure!
This is the point where your UPS man is making daily deliveries and is not only on a first name basis with you but also with your dog.
Steve Eberhart, W9BOJ
3EV - Evansville, IN
Where is Steve and the Sky Terrier
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, New Panel with Garmin G3X and 696, Icom A210, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009

kevinsrv7
Ya Dude

Re: When aviation nickels and dimes you...

Post by kevinsrv7 »

tmbg wrote:it does so $1000 at a time!

I'm at the stage of the RV where I have to start buying lots of little "insignificant" items, that all collectively add up to a crapton of money. the move to the airport.
I here ya, just wait until you start painting things. I just paid 80 bucks for a quart kit of urathane. Also in the market for a $400 fresh air respirator. 8)

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

I am missing all that building anxiety already :) enjoy the process it will be boring flying soon :mrgreen:
RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011