This is the worst I have ever seen it!

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

This economy draws liquid through a straw to say the least!!!

Right now there has to be 3 RV-7's an RV-3 and an RV-8 for sale on VAF! Probably more!

I remember when I started building this project and began keeping my finger on the pulse of the RV world. That was about 10 years ago. New start-ups seemed like they were happening about one per month! Van had a term for them. They were called "pop-up" builders because all of a sudden they would pop-up and introduce themselves. That just isn't happening anymore.

Engines are very costly and fuel has NEVER cost more! Fuel is expected to, what... DOUBLE? Okay, probably not double this year but I wouldn't doubt that it will be as costly here as it is in Europe very soon. I hope not but I am not ruling it out.

Who will be able to afford to fly? Who will be able to fuel large motor homes? Who will be able to have a twin engined boat?

I don't know where this is all heading but it is a wild ride!

I remember when I got out of high school and started my own business. Things were tough then. This economy is not looking like a turnaround is near.

Sorry for sounding all Chicken Little on you but what is your take?

My Unions (yah, I know... Unions...) are saying things are turning around now. What kind of BS is that!?! I guess if you say it enough you tend to believe it? Not me. Scary stuff! I feel badly for my kids in school.

What is your take?

:| CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

Captn stop that! Go down to the shop and do something. Get a beer or a Morgan. Are you electrical engineer or an economist? If latter show me at least an mba on it.

All my productive life I was learning how to find right target and pull the trigger for evil empire. :mrgreen: We had lots of guns but no butter supply-demand graphics were flat. I got no clue how the system works here I suspect it's free market (read the law of jungle) you can survive easy :evil: You are very capable with more potential than many of us. Build on you promised to bring me to Alaska!
RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Vlad, You are right! This is where it's at!!!

I am really happy to have what I have but I feel badly for those who don't. I do what I can for others who aren't as fortunate and I work really hard for what I have and intend to keep it up.

I see my students and wonder what is in store for them!

Anyhow, I am hooking up engine controls and plumbing the firewall forward now. I will hurry so we can go to Alaska in 2014!!! Perhaps sooner if possible!

:) CJ
RV-7

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

The economy is not great but the price of Av gas in Central Minnesota has dropped. The amount varies and you but you can get Av Gas for as low as $4.25 and the FBO where my airplane is located dropped the price of Av Gas from $5.10 to $5.00. Av Gas is lower in North Dakota also. I am putting my RV up for sale but the reason is mainly that I don't have a medical.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Predictions of recessions are self fulfilling prophecies. Yeah, things are expensive in the flying world, but then, have you bought lunch meat lately? Fly now, its not going to get cheaper.

As for people selling kits, I wonder how many of that is because people ran out of money rather than running out of time.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I guess I just live in the wrong part of the country cause AVgas just went UP around here. Two weeks ago I paid $5.85 a gallon, and Sunday it was $6.05 at the same airport. :cry:
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

JimmyH
Class G

Post by JimmyH »

I think cj is correct, I don't see things getting better real quick but just have to make the best of the situation. I was looking through the latest Sport Aviation , and there was a guy from Germany that wrote in and they are paying the equivalent of $14 per gallon. :o

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

Spike wrote: ....

Yeah, things are expensive in the flying world, but then, have you bought lunch meat lately? Fly now, its not going to get cheaper.

Spike

Well said Spike :)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Jimmy, Sorry to say but the writing seems to be on the wall.

Which brings us to our next topic:
Vlad wrote:
Spike wrote:Fly now, its not going to get cheaper.
FLY NOW!!! You probably won't be able to do it later!

:wink: CJ
RV-7

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

captain_john wrote:

FLY NOW!!! You probably won't be able to do it later!

DOOOOOM! Russians (Persians, NKs put yours here) are coming!!!! :lol:

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

This is an interesting thread. I currently fly a RANS S-6S with a 100 hp Rotax 912S. If I pull the power back I can cruise at 107 mph and burn a tad more than TWO gallons (of MoGas) an hour!

I am nearly finished with my RV-7A tail kit, and after ordering my wing kit about 6 weeks ago, Van's just charged my card today so the wings are on the way.

Lately I have been considering abandoning the RV project. I thought many times of calling Van's and asking them if they would cancel my wing order. (but I just couldn't do it :) )

Bad economy, rising gas prices, and now my airline is demanding paycuts or else they will file bankruptcy.

Do I want an airplane that burns three or four times as much fuel as my current plane? Do I need to go 200 mph? Not really. I usually don't have enough free time to take a long trip in the RV. Most of my flying is local 'pancake' flights anyway.

Anyway, this thread got me thinking again about the RV. As others ask, how much longer can I afford this? The RANS sure is cheap to fly.

Oh well, even if I never finish it, building the RV parts I have is immensly enjoyable. (except for trying to figure out how to bend the dang elev leading edges!)
Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

The way I look at it is that if I don't spend my cash on avgas, I'll spend it on booze and wild women.

Actually, I think I have a better chance of spending it on avgas..... :roll:
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

painless wrote:The way I look at it is that if I don't spend my cash on avgas, I'll spend it on booze and wild women.

You THINK??? :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

cjensen wrote:
painless wrote:The way I look at it is that if I don't spend my cash on avgas, I'll spend it on booze and wild women.

I get no respect, I tell ya! No respect at all! :mrgreen:
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

smithhb
Class D

Post by smithhb »

Same in Georgia…

From: RB Lists - The Hangar [mailto:support@rivetbangers.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 12:13 PM
To: hangar@rivetbangers.com
Subject: This is the worst I have ever seen it!

I guess I just live in the wrong part of the country cause AVgas just went UP around here. Two weeks ago I paid $5.85 a gallon, and Sunday it was $6.05 at the same airport. Image

Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (80hrs & counting)
N173DR

rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39239#39239

Submitted via email

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

cjensen wrote:

Funny comment coming from Mr. Fruity. Don't ever let go of that jewel of a wife, I wouldn't bet on your ability for a repeat ;)
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

kevinsrv7
Ya Dude

Post by kevinsrv7 »

captain_john wrote:Vlad, You are right! This is where it's at!!!

I am really happy to have what I have but I feel badly for those who don't. I do what I can for others who aren't as fortunate and I work really hard for what I have and intend to keep it up.

I see my students and wonder what is in store for them!

Anyhow, I am hooking up engine controls and plumbing the firewall forward now. I will hurry so we can go to Alaska in 2014!!! Perhaps sooner if possible!

:) CJ
Hey Johnyboy just make sure you bring them up 'right'. :wink:

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I see even more kits coming up for sale in this past week! This wasn't happening ten years ago. I see these kits coming up for BELOW the sum of their parts! They NEVER historically sold for that little!

All the vendors are saying that attendance at SnF and OSH are both down, yet the EAA says traffic is up. Hmmmmm...

Talk about a cheap to fly RV-15 is circulating on the other website.

I dunnoooooo...

Kevin, I just do my best is all!

RV-7

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Spike wrote:
cjensen wrote:

Funny comment coming from Mr. Fruity. Don't ever let go of that jewel of a wife, I wouldn't bet on your ability for a repeat ;)
You do have a point... :o :oops: :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

pat
Class E

Post by pat »

Chad, I could say this thread is worthless without pics. But that but that would be boorish :mrgreen: