Flight apps

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Joe Parish
Class D

Flight apps

Post by Joe Parish »

Looking for input on a good ipad app for flight planning and charts. I am computer challenged and will only be flying VFR. I want something fairly easy to use and One that does not stream info. Trying to avoid the need for a data plan on the ipad. My current understanding is my ipad has a GPS in it(3G w/wifi) so I do not need a data plan if the app is downloaded versus streams the data.

The apps I have looked at don't seem to say how much they cost. Most say they are free but I would guess that does not get you much. Additional cost for other features? Any input appreciated. Thanks

WingX is $99
Garmin pilot $75
Fore flight $75.
I had looked on the App Store, with no subscription prices.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

Joe I am not computer smart either. Since day one I was flying my RV9A I used ForeFlight. This app is super simple and really designed for dummies I kid you not. Plus you can buy three months for $25. After it expires you still can use charts for a week or so before it shuts you out of database. Just enough for VFR in my opinion. It has an advanced Pro option which is really nice but it costs the whole tank of gas. I can't afford it :mrgreen:

I still have my first Gen iPad which pukes while airborne every 15-20 minutes. Works with earlier ForeFlight version. Don't buy any data plan for iPad you don't need it. If you go for a grand trip buy a monthly block of data (1GB for $20 is usually enough) in case you are out of WiFi reach or need to access a radar picture at lower altitudes. Enjoy new technology at lesser costs :)
RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011

leffler
Class E

Post by leffler »

Joe,

For vfr, it's a flip of the coin. They are all good. Most of the differences are typically for more advance functions used in ifr flight. They also tend to leap frog each other, so the best one this month, may be the second best next month.

I've had wingx for years with no data plan. You can download all the data via wi-fi at home.

Like most applications the gui is different. Personal preferences will drive more of the decision than anything else.

When I bought wingx, there was only foreflight as competition. Wingx supports my adsb device and foreflight doesn't. That is what drove my decision. Although I will admit having live weather and traffic on Wingx is like having triple redundancy in my cockpit.

bob
Bob Leffler
RV-10 - Flying
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

My experience with iPad flight apps has only been with ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot. Without a doubt, ForeFlight is the simpler program to use. I have flown multiple cross countries with ForeFlight and it has worked extremely well.

I have made trying to make the switch to Garmin Pilot over the last few months only because I find the iPad mini to be completely unreadable in the RV-7 cockpit in the sunlight, so I needed to switch over to an android device running Garmin Pilot. While Garmin Pilot does work, it is nowhere as refined as ForeFlight is, especially with long cross country planning.

Bob did mention one of the downfalls of Foreflight (and it also applies to Garmin Pilot) - if you want ADS-B weather, you are stuck buying their Stratus hardware, which is a little more costly than third party vendors.

Finally, you are correct on not needing a dataplan. As long as you have a 3G version of the iPad, it has a integrated GPS which will function with any of the flight apps without needed a service plan from a wireless provider.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Thanks for all the info guys. This is just for the spam can rental. Don't plan on any long cross country's. I want to involve my wife, so I thought she could help me navigate with the Ipad. I'm sure having traffic is nice but for now I just want charts and flight planning. I will look into fore flight more. I like easy so it sounds like it is right up my alley.

I have one other question, when I did my flight training I was made to believe that you must have valid charts with you while flying. I don't think I was directly told that but that is the impression I got? I realize you are suppose to have all info pertaining to your flight 14 CFR 91.103 but is their somewhere that states anything about having the current valid VFR terminal area chart for said flight? I would not venture away from the local area without one but are they required? Thanks
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

leffler
Class E

Post by leffler »

Joe Parish wrote: I have one other question, when I did my flight training I was made to believe that you must have valid charts with you while flying. I don't think I was directly told that but that is the impression I got? I realize you are suppose to have all info pertaining to your flight 14 CFR 91.103 but is their somewhere that states anything about having the current valid VFR terminal area chart for said flight? I would not venture away from the local area without one but are they required? Thanks
The FAR doesn't specifically state you must have current charts. It does state that you as PIC must know all aspects of the flight, which would be quite difficult if you don't have current charts available.

While technically, having charts on an iPad, meets the requirement and is quite legal for VFR flight. There are some that think a backup copy is required. Required no, advisable, perhaps.

Since my RV-10 is IFR equiped, it's a bit over the top in this area. I have maps on two EFIS, my iPad, and iPhone. Granted the iPhone is hard to read, but could be used in a pinch. I also have the main power bus and battery, an EBUS and dedicated battery, and dedicated backup battery on each EFIS, along with two alternators. There is no way anyone can attempt to tell me a power failure will cause the loss of my maps.

With that said, there are still some folk authorized to give checkrides that are anti electronic maps. The first thing they'll fail on the checkride will be your iPad, so have a backup plan ready to execute. Their reputation tends to proceed them and just avoid scheduling a checkride with them.
Bob Leffler
RV-10 - Flying
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler