Hello! A slightly different interest..

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

WannbeRVer
Class G

Hello! A slightly different interest..

Post by WannbeRVer »

I linked to your site from an AOPA link. I am wonderfully impressed with what you have posted so far.
I too, am enamored with RVs particularly the 7A. The difference is that I have no desire to build one. I am interested in buying a used one. I've read several articles - including Van's - about buying experimental aircraft. I was curious if your site might be appropriate place to discuss the pitfalls and tips specific to RVs? I'm not suggesting that we evaluate someone's aircraft here - or complain, but rather are there areas of concern to me as a buyer to the construction process that I need to watch for? Perhaps builders might even be interested in the effects of placing a 230 HP engine in a RV6.

Thanks
Roy

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

All things flying and RV is our motto here :) Bring on your questions.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

WannbeRVer
Class G

Post by WannbeRVer »

You may be sorry you offered. :lol:

My first question is why build a plane and turn around and sell it? Sometimes I see planes just out of the test period offered for sale. And I wonder whether they frightened the builder, or didn't handle well, or the builder likes building as much as I like flying.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I hear that some people just simply like the building process.

I do enjoy it, but for me it will also include the ongoing tinkering that comes along with it.

Others may want something slightly different in design.

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I can say that my reason for building is building. Im sure Ill love flying the plane when its done, etc etc etc, but I just want a long term project from which I can learn. I love planes and this really fits the bill.

--- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

jim_geo
Class C

My take

Post by jim_geo »

Here’s my take on it. I love what the RV can do. I have no desire to completely build any plane so the quick build option is for me. But it saves me money by the fact that I can do all my own maintenance and annuals since it complies with the 51% rule. Sure I could buy a finished RV but then I don’t get all of the benefits of owning a kit built.

WannbeRVer
Class G

Post by WannbeRVer »

Thank you all for your posts.
Most RVs are built and I assume flown by the builders. If internet aircraft for sale sites are representative of the actual market (I've read various arguments about that) then why do the ones for sale usually have less then 500 hours TTAF. Often less than 300. Admittedly the sample set is small, 16 RV6 variants in one case. There is something ominous in selling a low time plane to me.

Can you (or should you) actually do your annual yourself? How far can a builder tear down their Lycoming engine and reman it? I've assumed the biggest expense with an annual are in the engine, and I thought an A&P had to evaluate the engine.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well, there are still 1998 certificated planes listed in the controller with only 300-600 hours on them too. Most people can only fly 50-150 hours per year. Take the low side of the spectrum for example. 75 hrs per year times 4 years is only 300 hours. Still a very new airplane. I don't think this shows a reflection of an undesirable craft. Simply, one which may have been outgrown. This guy is probably a second offender (building his 2nd RV.

Regarding the Annual Inspection, CERTAINLY! I plan on treating this machine just like any other one I own. All of my other vehicles (JEEPS, snowsled, boat and gas operated tools) are maintained by me and occasionally I pay another pair of eyes to do a "once over" on them.

Take the sled for example, I prep for the season and do the shakedown. If there are squawks, I fix them along with the periodic maintenance. If I am too busy or don't want to do the work myself, I bring it to the dealer. I have a favorite mechanic do the work and pay him extra to treat me specially.

I have a friend who is an A&P. I plan on buying him ALOTTA pizza over the next few years!

Sorry for the long read.

:rant CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

WannbeRVer
Class G

Post by WannbeRVer »

Thanks for the reality check. I knew I was missing something. I read other forums on this site about engine maintenance after my post and realized the question was already answered. I don't do much of my own car maintenance, and so don't think think in those terms often. Last major repair I tried had to be redone by a professional.

But thanks again for pointing out the usage values aren't as far out of line as I felt..