What is your day job

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

What is your day job

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

What do you all do for work, and is it related to aviation?

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

High School Teacher. More accurately, a Career Technical Education teacher teaching Electricity.

I make electrician's helpers. When the kids exit my program they need 3 more years in the trade before they can sit for the Massachusetts Licensure Exam for Electricians.

Hmmmm, looks like I have all of July and August off. Better get to work on the plane!

:roll: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I wish it was a day job! - I'm an emergency physician, so I work lots of nights (that's why I'm posting at 0400) / weekends / holidays. On the flip side, I do get a fair amount of free time to travel, fly, build, etc.

I wish I had a flying related job!! That would be great.

Thomas

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

Nothing aviation related for me.

I work in the RI State House for the General Assembly as a computer/network tech. Basically I do a whole lot of hand holding.

When I'm not doing that I'm helping out on the family farm

*blatent shameless plug alert*

www.salisburyfarm.com
Last edited by papakeith on Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

I guess I should have included what I do.

From 1985-90 I was in the Navy working in the airframes shop of an E-2C squadron and occasionally taking care of the C-2A COD (Carrier Onboard Delivery) aircraft.

From 1990 until 2004 I worked as a civillian at two seperate Naval Aviation depot level facilities. I was an aircraft sheetmetal mechanic performing sheetmetal, repair, modification, and corrosion control. I mainly worked on A-6E Intruders, EA-6B Prowlers, and F-14 Tomcats, but also have brief experiences dealing with F/A-18 Hornet, P-3C Orion and S-3B Viking aircraft.

Currently I am working in the airframes shop of a Navy Reserve E-2C squadron that contracts all the operational maintenance to the company I work for. I am titled as a hydraulic mechanic, but because of my extensive sheetmetal background, I seem to get the majority of the structural gripes to work on. On occasion, when not so busy, I have also worked with the powerplants guys assisting them building up props and hanging them on the engine, and helped stuffing engines into the nacelle with them.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I am an aircraft broker for an FBO. I get to fly and demo all kinds of airplanes! ...and they pay me for this!!! I also fly some charter on the King Air 200, and part 91 trips in the Lear 35.

So, yeah it's aviation related... 8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Lorin Dueck
Class D

Post by Lorin Dueck »

I work for a government contractor developing the next generation of military ground vehicles called "Future Combat Systems" (think of "tanks" and "personnel carriers").
As Chief Engineer of Common Systems - I'm responsible for areas including Propulsion, Track, Structure, Armor, and Signature Management.

Not aviation related, but pretty cool anyway since I get to play with big boy toys.

Lorin D
9A Wings

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

Lorin Dueck wrote:...developing the next generation of military ground vehicles called "Future Combat Systems" (think of "tanks" and "personnel carriers").
Holy cow Batman! Lorin, if you ever find yourself in need of a test driver or someone to fire a big gun, call! :mrgreen:

Me? Nothing that exciting. I am an Operations Consultant, which means that if you're not part of the solution, there's good money to be made in prolonging the problem. :) I work for a private financial institution where I mostly do systems/process analysis and design... Zzzzzzz

Brad Oliver
RV-7 Livermore, CA
www.RV7Factory.com

LesDial
Class G

Post by LesDial »

I'm a Production Engineer on the F-22 at the moment but have also had the same capacity on the C-5 and C-130 production lines. -- Les

Bob Barrett
Class C

Day Job

Post by Bob Barrett »

I am a retired Social Worker. I retired in February of 2000 but went back to work part-time for a year to earn more money for my 6A.

I worked in two Counties in North Dakota over 15 years and one county in Minnesota for 19 years and then I worked for the Minnesota Department of Human Services for four years before retiring.

From 1956 to 1962 I was a flight line crew cheif for the N. D. Air National Guard working with F-94C's and F-89D' & J's. Not much retention from then and certainly not much that has helped much with building an RV.

gbrasch
Class G

Day Job

Post by gbrasch »

I have none, I am a retired police officer/helicopter pilot. I have more night hours than day!
Glenn Brasch RV-9A #90623 First Flight 10/4/13
1952 Tri-Pacer
KRYN Arizona
Owner, Airport Courtesy Cars Website
www.airportcourtesycars.com

Lorin Dueck
Class D

Post by Lorin Dueck »

Hey Les -

First post?!! Welcome!! :)
Come back & share your thoughts.
This is a great place to spend some time :thumbsup:
Whatcha building / thinking about building???

Lorin D
9A Wings

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

LesDial wrote:I'm a Production Engineer on the F-22
Lockheed@Marietta?

LesDial
Class G

Post by LesDial »

Yup, that's it!

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

I work for Jostens Corporation...better known as "The Class Ring Guys"! :) We actually represent all types of graduation products from Cap & Gown to diplomas etc.

I am the National Accounts Manager which means I manage the relationship between Jostens and our corporate retail partners like Barnes & Noble and Follett. I also manage the sales team that works with all the Military academies and their rings. When I'm not doing that I manage the Direct College Sales team who sells all graduation products to many of the 5671 registered Colleges and Universities in the United States.

Aviation related? No. Does Jostens reimburse me to fly myself to meetings in different parts of the country? Yes. Will they type me in the Company Citation VII? No. :cry: (the back seats aren't bad though)

- Peter
Last edited by N200PF on Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Fruehling
RV-7 Wings -> QB Fuse in the shop!
North Oaks, MN -> Home Base (KMIC)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I write software and just recently changed jobs. Previously I wrote ground control software that monitors and commands satellites as they orbit. Ive left that for a new job that entails writing software for Uncle Sam.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

LesDial
Class G

Post by LesDial »

No, I've actually posted before but I'm at home and the other login is on my computer at work! I've just spent several hours with my friends down at Falcon RV at Falcon Field (Georgia) celebrating the Fourth and doing a little flying with them. I'm building a 7X ( haven't decide tail or nose yet) and just finished up on the empennage. -- Les

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Hey Les,

I am at the other corner of the same base on the Navy section of Dobbins.

I guess we see each others birds on a semi regular basis.

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Old Dan is a semi retired electrician/computer/electronics tech. The computer tech came when I was hired to intereface the SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) computers to the hydro generators at Grand Coulee Dam in North Central Washington State. I had that job for 17 years before I retired from the Feds. Now I play" Electrocutioner" ( there's one for you CJ!) at Eastern Washington Universisty in Cheney, Washington. This job has paid for my 8. Now I need it to pay for the fuel to fly the 8! :roll: My electrical training came gratus US Navy in the '60's. The best training there is!
:mrgreen:
Dan

Womack2005
Class D

Post by Womack2005 »

I am an Avionics/Electrical Engineer for Gulfstream Aerospace in Appleton, WI. I do retrofit instalation engineering on Hawker 700/800, Falcon 10/50/900/2000, Challenger 601/604, and the entire Gulfstream family of aircraft (GII thru G550).

I also do A&P work on the side. Mostly avionics retrofits on GA aircraft and some sheetmetal work.
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/