paint vs no paint

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

gsimatos
Class E

paint vs no paint

Post by gsimatos »

I see alot of Rvs that don't seem to have been painted. Is the unpainted surface of the structure coated with anything to inhibit corrosion as it comes from the factory or do some owners put on some sort of clear coat finish?? Thanks Gary
Pitt Meadows
BC Canada

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Alclad has a coating of pure aluminum which is supposed to resist corrosion. My RV is still unpainted after 4 years. When it gets painted I'm sure they will prime first.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Scott is right. The skins are made up of a 2024 T3 aluminum/copper alloy. It is coated with a small layer of pure aluminum for corrosion protection (hence the term Alclad). Many people dont paint the planes and choose to polish them. Thats a bunch of work, but it can look really really good.

- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

It is a BUNCH of work, but here's a beauty as a result of that work...

8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

They sure are pretty, but have you ever flown a polished airplane and had the sun reflect of the wing and in your face? It is blinding and the heat is amazing. For that reason alone I will be painting mine ASAP.
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

As will I. I initially was planning on polished wings, but after Sun N Fun a couple of years ago I was convinced otherwise after standing next to Tony Spicer's Sonex for about three seconds. I couldn't believe the amount of heat generated from the reflection!!

It was like it was multiplied and amplified! Felt like being fried! "It's hot", my wife replied. Stupified, I sigh'd. "No polish for me", I cried! :lol: :lol:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

Thanks you guys. The other thing I think is if you are gonna paint the plane it is easier to do before the big parts go together vs a complete plane already flying. I guess i am trying to understand just how much time it would take to put one of these things together. I got the preview plans which are so interesting but i counted about 4 million rivets and combined with the cost of a divorce I wanna think hard before I jump. i'm sure you all have been looking down this same gun barrel. Fact is i restored a cessna 170 which is now done and ain't got no project to putter around on and frankly I like the puttering plus I really like the RV7. Just back from the airport having this same discussion and the boys are telling me to get a 180 tho most of these guys think home built is like something from Mars. Just gonna have to let this all rattle around in my head for a few days Thanks again til my next dumb question Cheers Gary

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

gsimatos wrote:I got the preview plans which are so interesting but i counted about 4 million rivets
Well...you miss-counted... :lol: I'm counting as I go if you're interested to know. Go here-

http://www.chadandbrittne.com/Numbers.htm
gsimatos wrote:Just gonna have to let this all rattle around in my head for a few days Thanks again til my next dumb question Cheers Gary

There aren't ANY dumb questions here! That is unless you don't ask it... :wink:

Sorry to hear of your divorce. That sucks...Keep your head up! This hobby is a great one to keep your mind occupied! Ain't that right Snap! :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

WOW! That is one slick looking POLISHED plane!!!

I plan on painting the pieces before trucking them to the airport and flying a painted plane.

I think that if otherwise, it may never get done!

:| CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

You said it Chad.

Gary, Get the Emp and start. Don't hold back and don't let the divorce rule your life. Mine did for ages and the only thing that kept me sane was these bunch of fruit loops :grouphug: .

AND........we all know that RV's are better than any plane out there!! Why? Becuase we built them thats why. :good job:
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

Guys I didn't explain myself very clearly. i ain't getting divorced but I am afraid i will in the FUTURE if i get involved in this RV stuff is all and of course I am joking (I hope). Your comments are appreciated, the unpainted plane is sweet and the number of rivet inventory is managable i think, a real eye opener. I think my mind was made up to go ahead with this before i even found this website some weeks ago. Still it is good to see there are so many folks out there who have been bitten with this darn" build it yourself "bug. Like ya said above, cut to the chase, get the empenage, quit procrastinating and start pounding. Cheers and thanks Gary

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

G, I read ya right! I knew you weren't gettin' the big D! I just wanted to sit back and watch it unfold! You know, kinds like watching a ship sink!

Stick around and bug us!

:) CJ
RV-7

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

CJ, you're a sick man... :P
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

:puke: CJ
RV-7

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I just realized I have a picture of Tony Spicer's airplane from Sun N Fun 2006. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINY! AND HOT!!

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

John Courte
Class G

Post by John Courte »

No paint for me.

Maybe a big Galactic Empire cog on the wings and fuse[/url], but that just might mark me as a complete nerd. But I can do them in vinyl, and if I decide I hate them, they can be easily removed.

This is the fun part about being a computer graphics geek.. I can paint it fifty different ways before I have to commit to anything.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

John, If you did that... I wouldn't think it nerdy.

In fact, I would have no idea what it represented whatsoever!

What is the Galactic Empire anyways?

I guess that I am not into whatever that is?

Is that something from Harry Potter?

:P CJ
RV-7

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

just use the force CJ, use the force
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

John Courte
Class G

Post by John Courte »

It's from Star Wars.

Those movies were a good chunk of the inspiration for me to become a pilot. I was an impressionable kid. I didn't know back then that they were ripping off Dam Busters, Battle of Britain, The Blue Max, and Hell's Angels.