WHOA! (the "other" place)

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

captain_john
Sparky

WHOA! (the "other" place)

Post by captain_john »

Hey, did anybody catch this one?

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/s ... hp?t=14217

:o :dunno: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Yup, I caught it last night before it disappeared. I didn't find anything offensive about it whatsoever. :?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Me either!

Did you see my response?

:? CJ
RV-7

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I missed it. I read it last night when the only post was the cartoon. This morning, it's gone...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

That means he must have nuked it around 8AM eastern time.

I didn't care for the cartoon, personally.

:| CJ
RV-7

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Well, I can say I didn't think it was funny. But, I wasn't offended by ANY means. :roll:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Interesting.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

hngrflyr
Class E

Post by hngrflyr »

The posting NAZIs have struck again. I think the cartoon stinks, but that's just my opinion. I'm not about to force my opinion on anyone else. Others are entitled to make up thier own minds.

Having to be PC all the time is destroying our freedom to think as functioning, autonomous human beings. I'll do my own thinking, thanks.

Bob Severns
Living on the left coast

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Just make sure no one post the squirrel link over there! They probably wouldn't think it was PC either. :o
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I didn't think it was all that funny, but was not offended. I was offended by everyone getting so up at arms about it.

I get a little tired of all the "this is my site" we'll do it my way stuff. The way I see it, forums like these are resources for all involved. If you don't like or aren't interested in something, don't read the thread! Censorship sucks, IMHO.

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well,

Here's the thing...

I think that if that thread were posted here, we would discuss it. EVERYONE would have something to say about it. Somehow we could find a way to pick on Chad (sorry, Chad... just messin' with ya!) and then the thread would die!

I think over there, things can get kinda carried away.

It really was pretty harmless. I dunno...

RV-7

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I can't believe how thin-skinned people are becoming. I didn't see the cartoon but read the descriptions and it doesn't sound particularly funny. However, I'm not offended by it. It just shows how uninformed the cartoonist is.

What gets me is the one posting about how the person who deleted the cartoon from the thread must have been the same type of person who is offended by the VAF T shirts. A thinly veiled attach against Christians. Again, that offends me but I wouldn't delete it. I'm not that thin skinned. But there are a LOT of people on the other forum who are. This place is so much better.

There's no place like home...
There's no place like home...
There's no place like home... :roll:
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

captain_john wrote:Well,

Here's the thing...

I think that if that thread were posted here, we would discuss it. EVERYONE would have something to say about it. Somehow we could find a way to pick on Chad (sorry, Chad... just messin' with ya!) and then the thread would die!

I think over there, things can get kinda carried away.

It really was pretty harmless. I dunno...

I wouldn't have it any other way! :lol: :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Standards. You're your either with us or against us. Face it folks it's the age we live in. Zig hiel.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

svanarts wrote: What gets me is the one posting about how the person who deleted the cartoon from the thread must have been the same type of person who is offended by the VAF T shirts. A thinly veiled attach against Christians. Again, that offends me but I wouldn't delete it.
I read the thread Scott, and Im not sure that I saw that as being in reference to Christians, and as you know, I am one. However, I do have to admit that I dont really spend any time on Doug's site, so maybe there is more history there than I am aware of. Though I do have to say that I never really understood what a pinup/varga girl has to do with RV aircraft.

- Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

Personally, I think it's cute, and funny. :lmao:

Not that airplane accidents are funny -- they aren't. But I think the cartoon is a caricature of how the world sees builders, and provides an opportunity for us to have a look (and laugh) at ourselves. We're all that wild and crazy guy who decided to go out and buy an airplane kit.

"Hold muh beer an watch this!" :beer:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

captain_john
Sparky

OT - Personal notes

Post by captain_john »

Interesting stuff here. That is, to me anyways...

First thing I would say is that on the "other" forum, this type of personal rant just wouldn't be allowed. Unless of course I were a southern US resident, military airplane driving, built it myself, done and flying, workin' in avaiation now... know it all RV driver! Do you know anyone who fits into at least 3 of those categories in the "other" forum?

Anyways, in case you don't know me, I am a teacher. I am not a professional pilot. I live in New England, the MECCA of aviation and a homebuilders' STRONGHOLD! (NOT!) We New Englanders are a strange lot, but overall once you get to know us (or more like once we get to know YOU!) we are pretty friendly! If you ever come up here to the Boston area, drop me a line!

This forum is kinda like that. It is small enough to know one another and once you do, it is a comfortable environment.

Anyways, onto my somewhat airplane related story now. Being the new year, I checked my maintenance records on my JEEP. I try to keep the old gal in good shape because I have always wanted a JEEP and now that I can have one as a primary vehicle, I am in HEAVEN! I used to drive about 45,000 miles a year in comfortable vehicles for work, but this is all for fun! I just did an oil change and noticed that this is the THIRD YEAR in a ROW that I have done ONLY 13,000 miles! That is WONDERFUL, especially with gas prices going the way they are!

This prompted me to look at my logbook as I knew that much of my personal travel was done by air in lieu of driving! Mind you, I am NOT an airplane owner (hence the project), I am just a mooch! I borrow every plane I can get my hands on and I seem to do it well!

When I picked up my logbook and totaled up the pages I noticed that I logged almost 70 hours this year! Not bad for a non airplane owner! I probably would have been well over 80, had I not been so sick over the holiday week. The Aeronca was available to me all week and I had nothing else to do but build and fly!

I am pleased to announce that my Finish Kit is coming! I plan on going to the terminal on Wednesday after school to pick it up! Machine Man, it is in your neck of the woods (Avon) so expect a visit!

This little garage is going to get tight until I get everything all put away!

2006 is over and 2007 is shaping up to be a good year! I am going back to school after taking a semester off and finishing up my degree. I am planning on taking as many classes as I can at the local junior college so I can roll them into a BS Degree in Avaition at Bridgewater State College! Not sure what I will do with that, but the school pays for a certain amount of my education and I get raises when I do it, so why not!?!

Soooo, I suppose it will be a busy year with all the Young Eagles I/We plan to fly this year and what not. My goal is 100 YE's clubwide. Our club is small, but with the connection at school, it makes things easier. I know I can count on WS and a few others!

What are your plans for the year? Spill your personal guts, because we can!

:puke: CJ
RV-7

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

Some months back a friend of mine handed me a copy of the New Yorker with the page containing the cartoon dog-eared. Personally, I thought the cartoon was hilarious. So funny in fact, that I scanned it, framed it and hung it on my office wall.

The hypocracy surrounding this issue is simply amazing.
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Spike wrote:
svanarts wrote: What gets me is the one posting about how the person who deleted the cartoon from the thread must have been the same type of person who is offended by the VAF T shirts. A thinly veiled attach against Christians. Again, that offends me but I wouldn't delete it.
I read the thread Scott, and Im not sure that I saw that as being in reference to Christians, and as you know, I am one. However, I do have to admit that I dont really spend any time on Doug's site, so maybe there is more history there than I am aware of. Though I do have to say that I never really understood what a pinup/varga girl has to do with RV aircraft.

- Spike
Well there is a little history there that I left out. Another poster on that forum (and I seconded him) asked if the next version of the VAF shirt could be without the "girlie" picture. The thread quickly became anti-Christian, ie "there they go trying to IMPOSE their values on us again." It was elevating until I asked DR hisownself to step in. A poser in this latest thread refered to the "people who were complaining about the girlie shirts" (heavily paraphrased) as possibly being behind the removal of the cartoon. That's why I said this latest thread was a thinly veiled attack.

I'm not being paranoid and defensive am I? :o It would be a first if I'm not. :mrgreen:
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

svanarts wrote: I'm not being paranoid and defensive am I? :o It would be a first if I'm not. :mrgreen:
The fact that you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you. :evil: :lmao:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)