Avweb Quiz

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Womack2005
Class D

Avweb Quiz

Post by Womack2005 »

Check out the correct eplanation for the last question. I like the discription used for the nose wheel :mrgreen:

http://www.avweb.com/cgi-bin/programs/q ... z0117.html
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/

hngrflyr
Class E

Post by hngrflyr »

Nuff said.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

That's awesome!! :lol:

BTW, I missed one...#8 on hydroplaning. Completely guessed until I got it right... :oops:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Yeah, that is neat comment about the nose wheel, but I'm building one anyway :mrgreen:. I had never heard the term for the answer to the first one, learn something new all the time. Eight, just guessed too.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

That is a huge misconception of many pilots out there! They think that a nosedragger CANNOT ground loop! Not so!

I like the PFmax (maximum pucker factor) comment!

Then there is the pilot-induced pucker factor (PIPF) which cannot be ignored!

I got an 80 at first, but I beg to differ on the flaps on rollout one. That is number 6. When I do short field landings, as soon as I am firmly on the ground I pull the flaps to ZERO DEGREES and get hard on the brakes. This takes all the lift from the wing, lets the weight onto the gear and makes the brakes DRAMATICALLY more effective! I have done shorties in PA-28 Worriers that rival Cubs! Give it a try!

Did anyone get the hydroplaning one straight outta the gate? I didn't.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Womack2005
Class D

Post by Womack2005 »

I missed number 8 and 10. Reverted-rubber hydroplaning??? Is this for real?
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/

hngrflyr
Class E

Post by hngrflyr »

Aerodynamic braking is huge with some airplanes. I friend of mine used to fly a Howard DGA-15P for a skydiving club. They flew from a 1900' paved strip at about 400' MSL. The Howard is a heavy airplane. He would wheel land it at about 95 MPH, get the tailwheel on the runway ASAP, and make the turn off halfway down the runway without heavy braking. The Howard does sit at a fairly steep deck angle. A nose dragging airplane sitting at a very low deck angle might get more from the brakes than from the flaps...... Interesting question.

When I land my RV-6 on 34L at Eugene, I can make the first turn off at about 600' down the runway most any time I want to, but If I didn't have full flaps down, I doubt that it would happen.

Bob Severns

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

I was first taught to retract flaps during a short field landing in 150's, it really helped. Then I got told not to touch them when I learned to fly 172RG's, because I might hit the gear up level by mistake.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I got my hand slapped one time for the same reason Don. First flight in a retract years ago to start my complex endorsement, and I went to retract the flaps before I was off the runway, and my instructor smacked my hand and said "Don't ever do THAT again! You could mistake the gear for flaps." That is burned in my memory forever, and I NEVER retract flaps in a complex airplane until I have contacted ground off the runway.

Fixed gear, totally different story. Short field landings (if the strip is short enough) require flaps to come up ASAP after landing. If you're going in to a strip this short, you probably won't be in a retract anyway to worry about it...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

Womack2005 wrote:Reverted-rubber hydroplaning??? Is this for real?
Yup. Been there, done that. Short field landing in a Beech 18 on a slightly wet runway with lots of rubber residue. I didn't notice that the mains weren't turning, so I kept increasing the brake pressure and the decelleration decreased. By the time it dawned on me what happened, I had nice flat spots on both tires.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

cjensen wrote:I got my hand slapped one time for the same reason Don. First flight in a retract years ago to start my complex endorsement, and I went to retract the flaps before I was off the runway, and my instructor smacked my hand and said "Don't ever do THAT again! You could mistake the gear for flaps." That is burned in my memory forever, and I NEVER retract flaps in a complex airplane until I have contacted ground off the runway.
No air/ground safety switches on the main gear struts?

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

TomNativeNewYorker wrote:No air/ground safety switches on the main gear struts?
Yes, but it was in an early J model Mooney, and they have been known to forget they have that switch. I don't trust squat switch's to work on anything anyway. :roll: :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

So THAT's why I've been flying a taildragger all these years! The gear that's used to keep the propeller off the runway is much bigger. Now I get it!

You can definitely tell what kind of airplane the quizzer flies. :)
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

aparchment
Class C

different approach

Post by aparchment »

A friend of mine who flew for the airlines and who was my flight instructor told me that his airlines' operating procedure had them retracting flaps as they cleared the runway. I learned that way, so that's how I do it. I haven't been in a situation where I have come close to mistaking the flap lever for the gear lever. Besides, all of the retractables that I have flown have a squat switch -- not that I would want to test it out.

Antony

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yah, you can't trust a squat switch. They are exposed to nasty conditions and are potentially unworthy.

You know, there are 2 kinds of pilots. Those that HAVE done gear up landings and those that WILL! Insurance rates prove that.

I do have a hard time believing that I could confuse the flaps and gear, but I suppose if others have...

Maybe not in the Arrow. The flaps are certainly NOT controlled by the Johnson bar! But, you know... in a different kind of aircraft...

We should have standard operating procedures, regardless of marque.

I like the flaps up when clearing the runway procedure.

:) CJ
RV-7

N258RE
Class G

Post by N258RE »

captain_john wrote:
I do have a hard time believing that I could confuse the flaps and gear, but I suppose if others have...
I rented a very old 172 before ,you know the type,cant read any of the print on the knobs or panel,nothing is standard including the throttle and mixture and carb heat which are all in a row with nearly the same style and color head on them

anyways while doing my run up, I was looking down at the checklist and pulled the carb heat, yep working good RPM dropping,hey wait a minute WTF the engine died??!?!!?? looked in my hand and oops had the mixture knob not the carb heat :o :roll: :roll: :oops:

needless to say I was very aware of what I was doing after that

I could see me doing it in a high workload situation :oops:

as for retracting flaps,on shortfield landings you betcha

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

N258RE wrote:looked in my hand and oops had the mixture knob not the carb heat :o :roll: :roll: :oops:
:oops: :oops: :oops: Emabarassed to admit this, but I've told many around here the same story...On one of my first cross country flights as a private pilot back in 2000, I was in the '66 Cherokee 180 that I LEARNED TO FLY IN, and I mistook the mixture for the carb heat on DOWNWIND!! Engine quit. Pushed it back in not knowing what the hell had just happened, because that was just CARB HEAT, right!!?? Engine came right back to life with the mixture back in. In those old airplanes, there is no standard order to things, and the carb heat and mixture control were both silver knobs. Had my dad with me for the first time as well. :o We chuckled about it, but it could've been bad. :bang:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Well, that is one of the most important things about flying.

When you move something and you don't like what happens... move it the other way!

:lol: CJ
RV-7

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Yeah ... on those older planes the knobs are not differentiated very well.

On the 170, the mixture, carb heat, and parking brake ( :o ) are all in a row ... I've put my hand on the p-brake several times on downwind but thankfully always check. That would be an interesting landing!!

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings