Whats up with improper Uncontrolled Airport procedures?

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Brantel
Class B

Whats up with improper Uncontrolled Airport procedures?

Post by Brantel »

What is up with the fact that people seem to be totally disregarding uncontrolled airport procedures?

Everywhere I go I see people flying incorrect or no patterns at all, not using the radio properly etc.

Anyone else noticing this trend?

Yesturday while eating lunch at the airport, I saw a heli doing autorotations using a right hand TP and we have a left hand TP. Then I saw a flight of two one of which was a Pitts approach the field at about 500 agl, joined a right base to final for our runway 5 which has a LH TP cut off a 150 that was turning base and landed. The second plane did almost the same but did a 270° turn to the left while on a right base and ended up on short final and landed. Niether were using the radio properly.

The other day I saw a commuter jet take off without announcing a word on the radio. Same day another jet popped out of no where on a 10 mile final and landed, again no radio call.

Whats up with people these days?
Last edited by Brantel on Tue May 22, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I wondered about the helicopter thing, too the other day - we had a guy doing pattern work to the right.
As it turns out, this may be acceptable:

"A helicopter operating in the traffic pattern may fly a pattern similar to
the airplane pattern at a lower altitude (500 AGL) and closer to the airport. This
pattern may be on the opposite side of the runway with turns in the opposite
direction if local policy permits. "

I'm not sure about the reason - maybe for rotor wash or because the pilot usually sits on the right side in a chopper.

The rest of the stuff I agree on. The jet / King Air guys around here like to call a 10 mile final, despite other traffic. The other day I was flying the 170, landing on 15 (the calm/crosswind runway) and a citation called 10 mile final for 33. I was on downwind for 15. I guess the AWOS said calm (I can't get it with no ADF), but the flags on the ground (you start to notice these things when flying a tailwheel plane!) favored 15, and it is the "calm" runway, anyway.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Well, traffic patterns should ALWAYS be followed properly, and I will toot my own horn when I say that I DO fly full patterns at uncontrolled fields.

The radio is a different story. There is no requirement that anyone even use a radio at an uncontrolled field, let alone use it properly. Nothing you can do about that. Improper pattern work is a bad habit that many people end up with. It's just so much easier and a minute faster to get on the ground. :roll:

I certainly understand your frustration about patterns. That's how people get killed. Using the radio, and using it properly also help, but it ain't required...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

hngrflyr
Class E

Post by hngrflyr »

Several years ago, while flying my Cessna 120 I reported downwind at a non tower airport, then flew a standard power off traffic pattern to the runway. An open cockpit sport plane from the 1930s was at the run-up position. I was on short final when he pulled onto the runway without even looking. I added just enough power enough to stay right beside him as he lifted off. His passenger elbowed him and pointed at me about 40 feet away on his right. THE PILOT GAVE ME THE ONE FINGER SALUTE! I returned the gesture, went to full throttle and pulled away from him. I didn't have to fly that close to him, but I wanted him to understand what he had just done. From his reaction, I concluded that I didn't connect. His plane was a Kinner Sport. Very rare. Open cockpit side by side seating.

There are lots of people flying with theirs heads in a dark place. For our own survival we all must stay alert to anything someone might do. The scarry thing is, the guy you hit is the one you didn't see until it's too late.

This subject is not a new phenomenon. The incident described happened about 35 years ago, but is not alone in my memory of many such events. Unless there is a good reason not to, fly standard traffic patterns, and stay alert. Use the radio, but fly the airplane first. It's just good sense.

Bob Severns
RV-6

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Opposite pattern usage by rotorcraft is normal operations at my field, and I think it is generally supported. We have lots of helicopter training traffic, including autorotations ,etc , and it is never really in the way.

It works well for us.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yah, the eggbeaters are all over Plymouth and that is the norm for them.

I bet the commuter was on Clearance Delivery and forgot to change freaks or just didn't bother to.

As far as using the radio... as you know it is optional.

Regarding the whacky patters... well, see and avoid.

I am with Chad. I fly the pattern to a "T" and rarely deviate.

All I can say is, it is spring and they all come out!

:oops: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

aparchment
Class C

yup on the pattern

Post by aparchment »

I'm pretty religious about my pattern as well. I have had a few unpleasant experiences with others cutting corners. I was on downwind at midfield one day and some guy in a bonanza entered on an extended downwind, announced that he was lower than me (i.e. below pattern altitude) and moving faster, so he was going ahead. I suggested he slow down to pattern speed and climb to pattern altitude but he didn't respond. He went under me, flew a short base/final and landed long. I extended my downwind to give him room. I was very tempted to have a "talk" with him at the fuel pump, but I resisted the urge.

This kind of behavior is not only rude, but it is unsafe.

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I have to confess to taking certain liberties at my home field. My usual entry is on crosswind over the numbers. But then, we are a very low-use field. When I hear traffic in the pattern, I'll generally fly a full pattern from the 45. I announce every leg as well, However, I don't rely on that radio; they are completely optional at uncontrolled fields. Keep your head on a swivel even if you do hear radio chatter at the field, chances are the other traffic won't even be where they announce they are. :roll:
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

aerial
Class E

Post by aerial »

Maybe the sky is full of student pilots? :oops: :x

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I dare say the offenders don't seem to be students. They are flying faster, more complex planes.

I am guessing they are dentists and lawyers.

:lol: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!