Have you changed your mind?

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

svanarts
Air Marshall

Have you changed your mind?

Post by svanarts »

At the risk of Spike smacking me for starting YET ANOTHER OSH thread...

Did anyone see anything at OSH this year that made you change your mind about your build? Was there a must have piece of gear? Did you decide to change from an A model to the non-flip-over variety (tailwheel) of RV?

I saw a couple of planes that made me almost rethink my decision to build an RV-7. I know certain other rivetbangers were nosing around OTHER aircraft vendor booths with certain impure thoughts.

And Spike, rivetpoppers.com is still open. :)
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I think I may build a Bearhawk on floats next!

I WILL NOT sell the RV, though!

PK, can ya gimme a hand?

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

This will surprise most of you...I DID NOT WAVER at all at Oshkosh! :good job: There are some neat airplanes out there, especially in Light Sport, but I'm 100% sticking with the RV-7!

I do know of a couple of Rivetbangers that, well, I'll let them chime in when they see fit... :evil:

I do have a picture that will fit in PERFECT in this thread...just gotta remember to get it off my computer at home!

:lol:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

I got a ride in 137RV, and it has swayed my decision pretty firmly in the direction of Tip-Up. With the canopy cracked and the big pilot cooling fan turning, it was plenty cool enough (and Saturday was pretty hot!). That was my only real concern about the tipup vs slider; ground ops in atlanta can suck pretty bad, but I'm used to it with my cherokee, and having the tipup cracked was comparable to the cherokee with the door cracked.

That said, the benefits of the tipup are huge to me, and the only real negative is that you can't leave it full open unattended.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

BrickPilot
Class E

Post by BrickPilot »

cjensen wrote:This will surprise most of you...I DID NOT WAVER at all at Oshkosh! :good job: There are some neat airplanes out there, especially in Light Sport, but I'm 100% sticking with the RV-7!
.... as evidenced by the Sonex shirt that you wore to the dinner at the Black Otter! :evil:
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Touché!! :lol:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Any equipment changes? Did you have your mind made up on something and then see something else that changed your mind? I have pretty much been considering a Dynon unit for my panel. Then I saw the Odyssey and now I'm wavering. Looked like a really nice unit. The only thing I didn't like is that it looks like an ATM. The kind you put cash in instead of getting cash from! :)

Dynon has some exciting changes coming though. I have it on pretty good authority that the moving map is next.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I had it in my mind that the Enigma was going in my panel. Then I saw it, and didn't like it. The Odyssey is neat, but it's HUGE!

I'm thinking of boycotting glass panels altogether. Too many choices, and too much stuff to do/program.

I was planning a Trio AP w/Alt hold, but if I don't go glass, I just may do the TT ADI Pilot II with standard round static gauges, no gyros. :dunno:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

cjensen wrote:There are some neat airplanes out there, especially in Light Sport, but I'm 100% sticking with the RV-7!

I do know of a couple of Rivetbangers that, well, I'll let them chime in when they see fit... :evil:
I will admit, I REALLY liked the Rans S-19. It was very tempting, but alas, it's not aerobatic and 120kts just won't do... sigh. :)
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

That would be cool John, and I'd certainly help if I could.

Did you get a chance to give the BHawk a good once over at osh?
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

cjensen wrote:I had it in my mind that the Enigma was going in my panel. Then I saw it, and didn't like it. The Odyssey is neat, but it's HUGE!
Yeah, I don't like all the numbers and buttons on the front panel of the Enigma/ODDyssey. And they are a little TOO configurable. Kind of the Linux of EFIS's. I have to agree, I don't want to have to program my plane, I just want to fly. I'll still go glass but there is something to be said for simple round dials.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Well I liked the Odyssey and it's big screen. Tom C thought the buttons were to small. I like the idea of being able to build the screen to be like you want it and the price point. I thought I was going with an AFS setup but now I have to think about it some. The info pointed out on this site about the AFS is coming into play also. :roll:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

N258RE
Class G

Post by N258RE »

JohnR wrote:Well I liked the Odyssey and it's big screen. Tom C thought the buttons were to small. I like the idea of being able to build the screen to be like you want it and the price point. I thought I was going with an AFS setup but now I have to think about it some. The info pointed out on this site about the AFS is coming into play also. :roll:

I was in the same boat,really looking hard at the odyssey now, the one wire hook up is nice too!

never got a good answer about the compatibility with AFS AOA which is already in my wing, :(
RV-8 flying

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

cjensen wrote: I do have a picture that will fit in PERFECT in this thread...just gotta remember to get it off my computer at home!

:lol:
Are you referring to something similar to this one:

Or maybe this one:

:lmao:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

RV7Factory wrote: I will admit, I REALLY liked the Rans S-19. It was very tempting, but alas, it's not aerobatic and 120kts just won't do... sigh. :)
Decided to listen to the wife, I see. :o
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I've gone from straight steam gauges to a Dynon EFIS D-100 and a Dynon EMS D-10. Possibly still have a Altimeter and a Airspeed gauge but maybe not. This didn't happen because of Osh just at about the same time as Osh. Fairly big change for me though.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

papakeith wrote:That would be cool John, and I'd certainly help if I could.

Did you get a chance to give the BHawk a good once over at osh?
Keith,

I just gave it a cursory glance for fit and function.

Looks like it should fill the bill. If I were to do it now, I would go with a 260HP O-540 and a 3 bladed Hartzell C/S on Amphibious floats with one little Dynon EFIS and a radio.

Cool plane!

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Similar pics Patti, but I caught a MUCH funnier expression! Gotta remember to post that when I get back in town tonight! :lol:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

TomC
Class E

Post by TomC »

Hi All,

As John mentioned, I looked at several of the EFIS systems. My panel was originally laid out for a Dynon D10A. This is still an option but I was impressed by the larger display EFIS systems, especially the ones that had a split screen capability. This could be set up to show the AH, flight data, and CDI/GS/LOC on the left with a moving map on the right. I would, however, have to buy a new blank panel from Vans and start over. The downtime for this would be terrible as I am having too much fun flying. I liked the Odessy display but thought that the buttons were too many and too small, especially on a turbulent day. The competitive systems used 4-6 buttons that changed function based upon what the display showed.

The neatest thing I saw, however was a company called Park West Air Tours. (http://www.parkwestair.com/) They are a Grand Junction, Colorado company that takes private pilots on guided air tours of the mountain areas in the Rocky's. They take care of all the ground transportation, lodging, meals, etc. All I would do is fly my plane. Sounds like alot of fun. It may be too expensive, however. $3,000-5,000 plus my airplane costs. Oh well, where's that lottery ticket. :(

It was also nice to meet some of you at the Wed BBQ. I'm still waiting for my name to be called for the EFIS doorprize. :? Is the drawing over?

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Pretty bad when your are squealed on by your own wife. She's down in Orlando now on business, she must be bored. Thanx hon!

I changed my mind on a bunch of things with this trip. Some big things, and some small things.

On the smaller side of things, my first opinion on the Catto prop was changed. I had discounted that prop early on but was able to see a fair amount of them. I was duly impressed. I would look like to get some more info on them, but what I saw of them at the show will make me seriously consider them when the time comes. The EFS3500 looked better to me that I thought they would even though it puked while I was playing with it. I dont think its for me, but mainly because Im not looking at that genre of instrument, though if I were it would probably be somewhere near the top. I think I also changed my mind on how extensive of a panel to put in. I might back my hopes and dreams down a bit.

The biggest thing though was the plane itself. Patti and I seriously considered selling off the 9 to do something else. The short list ended up containing the RV10, Sportsman (in the above picture), and the DA-40XL.. The sportsman seriously impressed me with fit, visibility, and performance. Specifically the useful load was impressive. In then end though we decided to stay with the 9. We aren't convinced that its the best plane for us for a few reasons, but, it will be a fantastic aircraft, and its financially the best option at this point.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl