holy crap, I worked on my plane!

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

tmbg
Class C

holy crap, I worked on my plane!

Post by tmbg »

seems like it's been forever since I actually got anything done on the plane. I guess it's been 3 weeks or so!

I fabricated the other tiedown. Also, I tapped them both for the eyebolts and welded up the hardware store eye bolts that I bought two weeks ago.

Yeah, it's not canoe-tipping progress or anything. One spoonful at a time!

I guess next is rear spars, then lots and lots of rib fluting. :o
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Slow and steady wins the race! NOT THAT THIS IS A RACE!

I have a planned break in my build that is probably going to keep me away from the airplane for a good month or so, so I know I'm going to have similar announcements come September Ian! I MUST get some home projects wrapped up for the Mrs...I was going to do this early in the summer, but I decided to work to the point of being ready to mate the wings. Well, as of last night, I think I'm there.

Good job!!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

smittysrv
Class D

Post by smittysrv »

I know what you mean. I have had tennis elbow for the last 5 weeks and it is finally healed. I decided to get back to work on the RV yesterday evening and spent the whole session just cleaning off the work bench! :bang:

Womack2005
Class D

Post by Womack2005 »

Here in Wisconsin, we have to take advantage of the summer (the two months when no snow falls). Very little building getting done.
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

Here in Atlanta in the summer, that mere two hours of work that I managed to do last night left me COMPLETELY drenched in sweat.

Working in 93F heat and 100% humidity is really not fun.

This weekend I have to do something about my grass, which is approaching two feet tall in spots. Not looking forward to it :(
Ian
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

tmbg wrote: Working in 93F heat and 100% humidity is really not fun.
Wow. It must really be nice to have airconditioning.

Seriously, the hardest part of building in Texas this time of year is working in a position such that the sweat doesn't drip on the airplane too much.

On the bright side, I don't have to heat anything to keep the canopy soft and pliable.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

cjensen wrote:Slow and steady wins the race! NOT THAT THIS IS A RACE!

I have a planned break in my build that is probably going to keep me away from the airplane for a good month or so, so I know I'm going to have similar announcements come September Ian! I MUST get some home projects wrapped up for the Mrs...I was going to do this early in the summer, but I decided to work to the point of being ready to mate the wings. Well, as of last night, I think I'm there.

Good job!!
I'm with you Chad, but if I really focus this month, this may be my only chance to gain a little ground on you. :wink: :mrgreen:

Ian, I with you too. With a small child in the house now I've learned to be happy with ANY progress I can make. I bums me out when I don't touch the project for a week or two, but life happens, and if we all stick together we'll get there.
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

I've been working on some major projects around here too. Happens every summer it seems. AS a matter of fact I have to go to Menards and pick up some stuff tonight instead of working on the plane. :bang: :bang:

Oh well, it keeps the wife in a better mood and after all the airplane building is a hobby. Right? :roll:
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Man, it's been forever since I worked on mine. What with moving and house projects, I have done little.
Now that I'm back from OSH I've been flying a lot, which keeps me out of the shop (5+ hours in the last 24 hours!). I am getting some stick time in an RV-6 and lots of 170 tailwheel time so it is relevant to the 8 project!

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

I did even more last night! :D I got all the rear spar parts prepped and drilled. I unibit'ed the holes for the aileron pushrods in the doublers, but I didn't have suitable tools to finish shaping them. I bought a dremel and a small collection of round, half round, and triangle files today. I bought one $9 half round file that's pretty nice, and the rest were triangle files and chainsaw round files that were all on sale for less than a buck for some reason, so I snapped them up, what the heck. I bought the dremel 'stylus', looked pretty neat and seems comfy to use. It's only 7.2v, but it's li-ion, so I'll see how well it works out. I don't intend to use it for much of anything heavy.

I have to work late tonight, sadly, but if I get home with any time to spare I'll finish shaping those holes and deburr all the holes. If I still have time, I'll clean off my paint bench and mix up some primer and shoot the stuff. I've taken something of a minimalist approach with primer lately, but I think the rear spars are probably worthy of a good coat.
Ian
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I have the battery powered Dremel as well. It has really come in handy for shaping some of the aluminum parts.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

I had never seen this particular dremel before, seems pretty new. It's shaped radically different from the old dremels, and it seems very easy to hold and control:

perhaps it's just gimmicky, who knows :) I'll try it out tonight.

Oh and btw, those quickchange bits really do help a heck of a lot! :D
Ian
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

I have a different Li ion dremel, but it is only for the dog's nails! I use it sometimes on the RV - seems pretty effective.

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Man, if I tried to get close to my dog with a dremel it would not be pretty! :o
He is lovable and friendly and all, just don't bring any motorized items to close. :wink:

Here he is relaxing

defending his turf

Oops, sorry I got so far off topic. That battery powered dremel looks pretty handy. I may have to check them out.
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

Speaking of dogs and working on airplane bits:

Ian
James Cowl ordered.