How I Spent My Saturday

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

4kilo
RB's First

How I Spent My Saturday

Post by 4kilo »

Yesterday (Friday) I finally got my engine mounted. Some of my airport neigbors stopped by to chat, and Rusty Williams mentioned that he knew of a spinner template for my exact prop. Tracing the template is a lot less work than the standard trial fit then mark then cut...repeat 600 times, so when Rusty offered to fly me over in his RV-7A this morning, I jumped at the chance.

We started early, first flying to Bridgeport to get $3.35 fuel, then on to Hicks for breakfast and the spinner template. We met one of Rusty's formation flying friends at Hicks, so next up was some close in formation flying. We ended up back at Grand Prairie to drop off the newly marked spinner and look at my project.

Rusty and I then flew single ship down to my soaring club, where we spent an hour flying around in a sailplane. Rusty had never flown a glider before, so he had nearly as much fun as I did experiencing my first formation flying.

Next it was back to Grand Prairie, to hangar fly and admire my airplane, which can no longer be confused for a canoe:

4 hours of flying, 6 landings and a whole bunch of fun - now if I just didn't have to get up at 0500 tomorrow for work...

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Great way to spend a Saturday Pat! Can the rest of us hijack this thread and post what we did on Saturday? Here's what I did. I cleaned up what I blew my fuselage kit money on. Not sure what I'll do after the wings are done. :)

Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

smithhb
Class D

Post by smithhb »

svanarts wrote: I cleaned up what I blew my fuselage kit money on.
Sacrilege!
Bret Smith
9A Flying (N16BL)
Blue Ridge, GA
http://www.FlightInnovations.com
APRS Tracking: http://www.flightinnovations.com/tracking.html

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

The kids are just growing up too quick. Need to make some memories now, finish the airplane as time permits. :)
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Pat, WHOA!!! You are MOVIN!

Your progress is great!

Me? I am tinkering with paint in an effort to get this fuse together by the holiday season. Thanksgiving or Christmas... whichever it turns out to be!

:oops: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

Congrats on the engine hanging. I can't even begin to imagine getting to that stage.

Me?
I spent the Saturday walking around in a corn maze. And since yesterday was our 11th anniversary I went out to dinner with the Mrs. A good chunk of that slush fund I was talking about got spent, but it was a good night.

Friday night I actually found myself in my shop washing ribs in preparation for some painting.
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

That is a super Saturday Pat! Workin' on your project, fly an RV, soar a bit, breakfast with the locals...THAT is a Saturday!

I spent seven or so hours in the garage getting this done...

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

N258RE
Class G

Post by N258RE »

svanarts wrote:The kids are just growing up too quick. Need to make some memories now, finish the airplane as time permits. :)

I took my son out for the youth waterfowl weekend,thats a chesapeake bay retriever, the cadillac of retrievers

(hope no one finds this offensive)

Last edited by N258RE on Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RV-8 flying

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

N258RE wrote:
svanarts wrote:The kids are just growing up too quick. Need to make some memories now, finish the airplane as time permits. :)

I took my son out for the youth waterfowl weekend,thats a chesapeake bay retriever, the cadillac of retrievers

(hope no one finds this offensive)

Is that a 20 ga. gun? I find it offensive! He should be using a 12!

:wink: Way cool!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

That's a great Saturday Pat!

While I don't get much shop time on Saturday (back to a six day a week job after Labour Day), I did get to match drill the hinge onto the trim tab and cleco on the hinge for the elevator part.

Image Image

I hope to get this last major part of the emp to the 'inspection' state before the end of the month, then on to wing tasks.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)