Talk some sense into me

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

svanarts
Air Marshall

Talk some sense into me

Post by svanarts »

I'm getting as bad as Chad. I'm starting to have some big time second thoughts about building the RV-7 and building something like a Zenith CH 701 instead. It's light sport so I can ditch the medicals for now, cheaper to build, does the kind of flying I really like to do (low slow, backcountry landings). The RV-7 kit is a whole lot easier to build than the RV-4 kit was but I just have this nagging feeling that it won't be the plane I really want.

I think I need an intervention.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

:lol: :lol: I'm rubbing off on you guys!

You won't get an intervention from me...I say build what you want! RV's are great, but there are LOTS of other great airplanes out there...Zenith is just one!! 8) 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

cjensen wrote::lol: :lol: I'm rubbing off on you guys!
OMG... It's all making sense now! (Chad will get that)
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

What's MOST important to you?

Post by RV7Factory »

Scott,

No intervention here either. Truth be told, if I were starting today, I wouldn't build an RV.

That being said, the 701 and the RV are very different aircraft. What's most important to you... speed? STOL? $$$? Is crossing the Sierra's important? You get my point.

BTW, is THIS the kind of flying you like? :)
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

rv8or
Class E

Re: What's MOST important to you?

Post by rv8or »

RV7Factory wrote:
Truth be told, if I were starting today, I wouldn't build an RV.

Brad, could you elaborate on this...just curious.

Thanks,

J
Joe Ferraro
aka: "jferraro16"
DFW, RV-8A Fuse

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

RV7Factory wrote:
cjensen wrote::lol: :lol: I'm rubbing off on you guys!
OMG... It's all making sense now! (Chad will get that)
Hehehehe! Image
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Scott, build what you want. Why are you doing this? I assume its for enjoyment. If your not enjoying it, then don't do it.

RV7Factory wrote: No intervention here either. Truth be told, if I were starting today, I wouldn't build an RV.
Thats me to a tee, though Ive already told you guys about this. Patti and I looked at ditching the 9A this year at Osh. If I were to start today, it would be a Sportsman, but that was not available when I started. The 9A will be a fantastic plane, I just think the Sportsman would be a better fit for me.
THIS the kind of flying you like? :)
Oh boy, that gave me a pudgy.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

rv8or
Class E

Post by rv8or »

Spike wrote:
Oh boy, that gave me a pudgy.

Careful...that kind of talk could get you banned :lol: :lol:

J
Joe Ferraro
DFW, RV-8A Fuse

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

rv8or wrote:
RV7Factory wrote:
Truth be told, if I were starting today, I wouldn't build an RV.

Brad, could you elaborate on this...just curious.

Thanks,

J
RVs fly like crap! :o :mrgreen: :wink:

Just kidding. When I started the RV I had no plans on doubling the size of my house (and mortgage payment), or for having a child who is now heading to day-care at a private school. I am not complaining, just stating facts.

If I were in the decision making mode today, I think $ would be a much bigger factor in the process. I would probably build a Rans S-19.
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

rv8or
Class E

Post by rv8or »

Totally agree. The price of gas has been on my mind for a while (we've had THAT conversation before), and recently, I've started spec-ing out my panel...YIKES! :o Starting to get concerned about budget creep from th planning stages through now. It won't get any better, IMO.

I guess I like a little sanity check occasionally from fellow builders; so I know my concerns aren't completely in the weeds.

Thanks Brad.
Joe Ferraro
DFW, RV-8A Fuse

BrickPilot
Class E

Post by BrickPilot »

This thread makes me feel very comfortable with my decision to go with the Bearhawk as opposed to an RV-7 or -8. Lots of work ahead and money to spend, but with a wife that is totally supportive, it's doable although still quite intimidating. :o
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

rv8or wrote:I guess I like a little sanity check occasionally from fellow builders; so I know my concerns aren't completely in the weeds.
Believe me, you are far from completely in the weeds! I have MAJOR concerns about the future of this project, but I keep plugging away, hoping for better days ahead.

Brad and I have had this conversation many times, going back to my week-long date with him at OSH '07. :wink:

It's hard to think about the enormity of this task we are all undertaking, and still see the end result.

I'll be honest as well, and say that if I were starting today, I would be building a Sonex all the way. Flying for less than $30k! I'm $5k from that right now in my RV!! Image
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Want to do something scary? Figure out what kind of money you will realistically spend on your project, and multiply 60% of that by 4. This is where I get crabby. A partnership of 4, each contributing 60% of what you will spend on the RV, will typically buy one hell of a certificated plane. And you will have 40% left over for annuals, maint, etc.

:puke:

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

yeah, then you get to share it with three other people. And buy only PMA parts. And pay an A&P.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Yup, and in the long run, your plane will fly more and rot less, and you will still have most likely saved money and wouldn't have to wait for 3 - 7 years while it is being built.

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

Sometimes you have to factor in that building an RV, or any homebuilt for that matter, is partly entertainment/therapy. My project took me 10 years to complete. Partly due to other obligations/responsibilities and partly from a financial standpoint. I figure that I spent between $5000 and $6000 per year on my RV while I was building. During those years, I quit chasing women and cut way back on the alcoholism. :P

Another thing to consider is that these airplanes fly just great irregardless if they have the latest and greatest glass panel in them or not. You don't have to spring for the most elaborate panel. Get the instrumenation you can afford for now, with the option to upgrade once the kids are out of college.

Even though you are indeed spending a wad of cash on your airplanes, just think where else you would have piddled it away....not counting higher house mortgages or ever increasingly expensive kids. In the end, you have a heck of an airplane, that is sellable if need be.

As I have posted before, one of the quotes from a Lancair add from way back that kept me going was, "Sometimes in life you just have to say, 'Screw it....I'm doing this!'"

Build on Gents....
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

Spike wrote:Yup, and in the long run, your plane will fly more and rot less, and you will still have most likely saved money and wouldn't have to wait for 3 - 7 years while it is being built.
The former isn't much of an issue for me... my cherokee acquired 265 hours from annual to annual this year, and I'm the sole owner. The latter is also a relatively minor issue, because I have something else to fly in the mean time :)
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

cjensen wrote:Brad and I have had this conversation many times, going back to my week-long date with him at OSH '07. :wink:
For the record, I drank a lot of beer at OSH 07 but it had no effect... Chad didn't get any better looking. :)
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

RV7Factory wrote: For the record, I drank a lot of beer at OSH 07 but it had no effect... Chad didn't get any better looking. :)
So then you are saying that your state of soberness was not causal to your feelings for Chad?

:mrgreen:

BrickPilot
Class E

Post by BrickPilot »

RV7Factory wrote:
cjensen wrote:Brad and I have had this conversation many times, going back to my week-long date with him at OSH '07. :wink:
For the record, I drank a lot of beer at OSH 07 but it had no effect... Chad didn't get any better looking. :)
While that may be true, you did share an umbrella when it rained... an obvious and egregious violation of guy law. Shame shame. :puke:
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!