Bushing in Aileron Bellcrank

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Lorin Dueck
Class D

Bushing in Aileron Bellcrank

Post by Lorin Dueck »

Hi all -
I would appreciate a little help / advice here. :?
For the 9A aileron bellcrank installation - the directions say to ream the WD-421 bushing to accept the AN 4 bolt.
My question is - should I spend the extra $$ and buy a .250 reamer - or just drill it out with a 1/4" bit in my drill press??
What did you do - and how did it work??
Recall that the bellcrank assembly rotates around the bushing - not the bolt....
Thanks, Lorin D

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I have a .250 reamer now, but didn't at the time. The 1/4" bit worked just fine for me. However, I would say go ahead and buy the .250 reamer. You'll need it in the future several times.

That bushing is probably easier to ream straight than drill straight.

My advise: Get the reamer.

:wink: :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I'd say get a reamer also. I use them all the time. I have them for #40, #30, #19, #12, 1/4" (Aileron Bushing), 5/16" (Rear wing spar) and 3/8" (engine mount). Check out mscdirect.com - they ship quickly and have great prices.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I used the drill method myself also. Just use lots of oil, the brass loves to seize. Although not as bad as lead.

smittysrv
Class D

Post by smittysrv »

I used a regular drill bit on mine, along with a flowing stream of cuss words. The reamer sounds cool. Anybody got a web link to that product?

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

i drilled mine but had to use a dump trucl load of pressure on the bushing to keep it from spinning in the holding fixture( a piece of wood with a hole drilled through it cut in half). a reamer would make this a non event.. you local machione shop should have the popular sizes...fastenal comes to mind.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-bee ... P-080.html

I guess they even use reamers for draft beer... :mrgreen:

Yet another use you can have it for....lol..
Seriously though, I wish I had bought the reamer at that stage in the build. I have them now in the sizes I need for the rest of the plane.
It really is the way to do it.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I use a #40 reamer on all pre-punched holes now, rather than the bit. Makes a really smooth, straight hole! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Lorin Dueck
Class D

Post by Lorin Dueck »

Great guys!!
Looks likeI get to buy a new bunch of tools :good job:

Thx, Lorin D

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Used the take a piece of 2x4 drill a hole in it and split it with a band saw to about 1" past the hole method. Then clamped the split end with a c-clamp. This held the bushing just fine. I used the 1/4" drill bit and that worked just fine. I just kept working the bit up and down to clear out the powder.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

A piloted reamer would even be better.

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Brantel wrote:Used the take a piece of 2x4 drill a hole in it and split it with a band saw to about 1" past the hole method. Then clamped the split end with a c-clamp. This held the bushing just fine. I used the 1/4" drill bit and that worked just fine. I just kept working the bit up and down to clear out the powder.
THAT is a good idea. I ordered two extra bushings with my last order from Van's because I wasn't happy with how the first turned out (irregularities on the inside and overall poor fit of the bolt). I'm not sure why the first one was bad because I did it with a drill press and a reamer, but...
That seems like a great way to hold it steady and vertical...

Thomas
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

Yup, it works well...

More pics here.
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

Lorin Dueck
Class D

Post by Lorin Dueck »

Well,

I bought several reamers from MSC Direct (Thanks for the reference Mike!).. clamped the parts using the "Brantel method" (great suggestion!)... and completed the setup by following Brads steps (simple & accurate!!).
After adjusting the drill press to the slowest speed - and a using a little boelube... it was a no-brainer. 30 minutes and I was done with both bushings. The fit came out perfect.
I can't believe I was sweating tihs one!!

Thanks to all!!

For those of you who have not gotten here yet - BUY THE REAMERS!!!

Lorin D.
9A Wings
N194LD reserved

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Good deal Lorin! Glad it worked out great! The reamers are really worth having around.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Not my method, I think I stole it from Brad so it is the "Brad" method.

Glad it worked out though!

:P
Lorin Dueck wrote:Well,

I bought several reamers from MSC Direct (Thanks for the reference Mike!).. clamped the parts using the "Brantel method" (great suggestion!)... and completed the setup by following Brads steps (simple & accurate!!).
After adjusting the drill press to the slowest speed - and a using a little boelube... it was a no-brainer. 30 minutes and I was done with both bushings. The fit came out perfect.
I can't believe I was sweating tihs one!!

Thanks to all!!

For those of you who have not gotten here yet - BUY THE REAMERS!!!

Lorin D.
9A Wings
N194LD reserved

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

Brantel wrote:Not my method, I think I stole it from Brad so it is the "Brad" method.
Yes, and I want royalties!!! :wink: :mrgreen:
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

RV7Factory wrote: Yes, and I want royalties!!! :wink: :mrgreen:
oh, i see how its gonna be, you guys have put me on the ignore list :cry: or dont want to share any of the moneywith me :roll:
weezbad wrote:i drilled mine but had to use a dump truck load of pressure on the bushing to keep it from spinning in the holding fixture( a piece of wood with a hole drilled through it cut in half). a reamer would make this a non event.. you local machine shop should have the popular sizes...fastenal comes to mind.
i used a vise instead of clamps.
i did however drill the hole parallel to the split in the wood. after reading "brantels method i see he mentioned not cutting the block completely in half. which IMHO would help even more? 8)
i really feel sorry for the people trying to build a plane and dont have internet access. there is so much to be gained from the net its ridiculous. :)
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

I'd say get a reamer also. I use them all the time. I have them for #40, #30, #19, #12, 1/4" (Aileron Bushing), 5/16" (Rear wing spar) and 3/8" (engine mount). Check out mscdirect.com - they ship quickly and have great prices.
Mike,

Thanks for the link and the tip! I ordered all the reamers you suggested, except for the #30 and #40 (already had those). Great prices, and they arrived here in two days. I'll be using the .250 soon for my aileron bushings!

Bruce

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Ok, we are going to have to call it the "bradweezbad" method. Or the "weezbadbrad" method.

You guys can fight over who's name comes first. :P

:wink:
weezbad wrote:
RV7Factory wrote: Yes, and I want royalties!!! :wink: :mrgreen:
oh, i see how its gonna be, you guys have put me on the ignore list :cry: or dont want to share any of the moneywith me :roll:
weezbad wrote:i drilled mine but had to use a dump truck load of pressure on the bushing to keep it from spinning in the holding fixture( a piece of wood with a hole drilled through it cut in half). a reamer would make this a non event.. you local machine shop should have the popular sizes...fastenal comes to mind.
i used a vise instead of clamps.
i did however drill the hole parallel to the split in the wood. after reading "brantels method i see he mentioned not cutting the block completely in half. which IMHO would help even more? 8)
i really feel sorry for the people trying to build a plane and dont have internet access. there is so much to be gained from the net its ridiculous. :)