User Fees - Again

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

aparchment
Class C

User Fees - Again

Post by aparchment »

The latest news on the user fee front is that although the House and Senate don't support user fees, the White House is threatening to veto any bill that doesn't include user fees and more control of the airspace for the airlines.

Isn't it great that the president (yes lowercase "p") is operating under a mandate that allows him to supersede what elected officials have put forward as being representative of the desires of the general public! Perhaps the true vision of what the people want came to him through divine intervention. Let's hear it for Bush style democracy! How does this differ from what Ahmadinejad does?

Have we had a White House that is this unfriendly to GA in recent memory?

Does anyone know how the current candidates feel about GA? Do we have any information on their voting record on GA issues?

Antony

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I don't know about the current candidates. However, don't forget that the house/senate can overrule a VETO with a high enough count. I believe I heard that the bill passed the Senate 88-0? I imagine that 12 senators didn't vote if thats true. Its possible that the President's position might not be insurmountable if they have to take a vote to get past a VETO.

Its also valuable to keep in mind that the bill has not reached his desk yet. There is barking, and then there is biting. I would think that if, using buzzword bingo, a "bi-partisan" bill came to the oval office, and the FAA extension is coming to a close, that there might be a fair amount of pressure from the republican party to sign it due to the upcoming election?

Just some thoughts.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I am not sre about CURRENT candidates, but former candidate Mitt Romney was PRO GA!

I acquired much of my stuff (including my hangar) TAX FREE thanks to one of his bills!

I hope he somehow comes back into the limelight.

:oops: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

That makes 2 of us.

John

smithhb
Class D

Post by smithhb »

I remember when the bill was still in the Senate sub-committee, McCain voted FOR the user fees...
Bret Smith
9A Flying (N16BL)
Blue Ridge, GA
http://www.FlightInnovations.com
APRS Tracking: http://www.flightinnovations.com/tracking.html

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

:x CJ
RV-7

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

smithhb wrote:I remember when the bill was still in the Senate sub-committee, McCain voted FOR the user fees...
Yes he did and before the vote, I sent him a letter and he sent one back that basically told me what I thought did not matter and that his goal was to help the airlines and that GA needed to foot more of the bill for the entire system. He totally disregarded my comments about how the system was funded just fine the way it is and that GA pays their fair share in a very fair fuel tax based system.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Yup, That's good ol George W. (Big Business) Bush at werk.

Spelling on purpose

And while we're here; in your opinion does the AOPA stand up for the little guys of GA? Yes I'm talking about us, the non jet set men and women of aviation. Is it just my imagination or is it the EAA that truly represents the GA little boys and girls whether you fly certified aircraft or experimental. It has been seeming to me that I truly get nothing or perhaps very little from AOPA and am considering letting my membership lapse. Curious to see what's thought by ya'll.
Last edited by jim_geo on Sun May 04, 2008 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

aparchment
Class C

Yup - I remember that

Post by aparchment »

I remember reading about McCain and being very disappointed.

I wonder how the Dem candidates view GA. Clinton is quoted on the AOPA site as thinking that aviaion "is a significant and important contributor to our national economy." I haven't found any comments by Obama yet.
smithhb wrote:I remember when the bill was still in the Senate sub-committee, McCain voted FOR the user fees...

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

jim_geo wrote: AOPA and am considering letting my membership lapse. Curious to see what's thought by ya'll.
i let it lapse.....maybe later, but they want me to have a pilots bag now... :roll: ya know if they quit giving the membership fee back in the form of gifts they wouldnt have to beg for money. i do feel in the big picture thaat they look out for the ga crowd but not neccissarily the ex crowd,
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Having met quite a few AOPA employees, even the big cheese himself, (it helps to be based at their headquarters) I believe that they do lookout for us. However, I do believe that they pick and choose their battles based upon where they feel than can do the most good given resources. I also believe the reality is that those who have the most influence with politicians and have the largest resources with witch to assist AOPA, are those who burn kerosene and can buy SR22-G3's. My impression is that this is generally NOT the profile of those who work for AOPA however, with the exception of a few somewhere near the top.

I fully support them and think that they are worth the dues money.

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

I don't know. The "big cheese" seems to get along quite well flying around the country in the AOPA corporate jet. I guess that' where the money goes and why they continually want more. Back in 1999 when Boyer came to Spokane for a meeting with the "general aviation folks", I began a conversation with him and when I tried to voice a concern of mine, he turned and walked away. The next day I wrote a letter to AOPA and canceled my membership.
I think his interest is in the jet set. FWIW
Dan

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

He is out a fair amount playing in his WACO and 172 as well. Not that I am defending the man, I am just trying to point out that there is a side of him that flies things with propellers.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

You know what Danno?

Every time I crack the spine on AOPA Pilot magazine and see some shiny new Cirrus or Bonanza featured as an "affordable ride" I wonder if I have the right magazine in my hands.

They toss several hundred thousand dollar airplanes around like they are Dodge Neons!

I just don't relate to those articles well, I guess.

So, he kinda blew you off? That says a lot. Do you remember the question you asked? Just wondering.

:roll: CJ
RV-7

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

ugh, that Waco and 172 more than likely are being written off somewhere.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

jim_geo wrote:ugh, that Waco and 172 more than likely are being written off somewhere.

:headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

Spike wrote:I fully support them and think that they are worth the dues money.
I agree, and it's why I am writing ANOTHER check to the AOPA PAC today. They may not fly experimentals, but they are there in DC fighting for us.

Have you noticed... the magazine seems to be taking a slightly new direction. A few years ago it was nothing but jets and glass panels. Now, there are tailwheel aircraft on the cover and talk about LSAs. I think they have seen the writing on the wall, flying isn't getting any cheaper, and the needed to broaden their horizons to appeal to the wider audience.
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

BrickPilot
Class E

Post by BrickPilot »

RV7Factory wrote:
Spike wrote:I fully support them and think that they are worth the dues money.
I agree, and it's why I am writing ANOTHER check to the AOPA PAC today. They may not fly experimentals, but they are there in DC fighting for us.
I agree as well. We don't have a lot of voice with just EAA alone. AOPA does represent a larger market than us Exp wackos. The more clout we can get in DC, the better, IMO. It would not be in AOPA's interest to actively spurn the Exp. crowd.
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Spike wrote::headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:
From his income taxes.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I understood that Jim, I just didn't get the underlying point. I would write off my airplane on my taxes in a heartbeat if I could. I imagine everyone would. And even if someone writes them off in taxes, they still have to pay for them and their usage.