New fuselage stands

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

New fuselage stands

Post by cjensen »

I've spent the last two or three weeks getting schooled on what it takes to make precise parts from 6061-T651 aluminum bar...and failed. It's just too hard of material to work with the tools I have available. I was trying to duplicate the stands that Dave Rogers has in the Resources section of RB. I got the holes drilled, cut the bars to length, tapped the ends for the bolts, then I started working on shaving them down to fit my center section. I needed to remove .015 or so for a snug fit. An hour later with the sander and 50 grit, and I had removed .003 on one bar. That sucks.

So, I took the bars to a machine shop so they could mill them for me. I didn't want to spend any more money, but it was a last resort if I wanted to use them. I was told $35-40 and a day turn around. That's not bad, so I told them to do it. I got a call two days later from them saying they were having trouble getting them clamped straight. They could do it, but were now talking $90-120 to do it. Nope. I told 'em to stop, and I'd be by to pick them up. I gave the bars to a friend of mine that will use them for RC parts.

The AL bars work just as well, if not better, but milling them just became too cost prohibitive for me.

Movin' on...I did end up with some great fuselage stands anyway! My good friend Carl (cnpeters on here) is an expert wood worker, and offered to make some blocks for me out of some hardwood scrap. Less than 24 hours later, I had two pefectly plained wood "spars" to use. I painted the steel legs that I had made a fluorescent orange to try and keep my knees and shins from getting banged up, and put them together last night.

These things are STRONG!!!

I'm very pleased with these now, and I have room to move the fuselage higher if needed, but this is a PERFECT height for finishing the canopy, cabin, and panel/electrical work.

I also built a couple of dolly's with a cup for the legs to sit in, so I can move the fuselage around if need be.

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

BrickPilot
Class E

Post by BrickPilot »

Sweet. Those stands are very cool. Nice job.
Jeff Klug
Bearhawk #1053 (QB #91)
Shop cam!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Hey Chad those look really COOL. Being so low should make dealing with the canopy much easier.

But I gotta know why you went through the trouble to make such nice stands? What was wrong with the typical method that people used by placing a support under the F-704 bulkhead?
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

The main reason is so I can move the fuselage around on a pair of dolly's easily. All I do is lift each leg on to the dolly, and it will move in any direction on castors.

Other than that, I had the time to blow, and I like the idea of the stands being fastened to the airframe...no chance of scratching or denting the belly...remember it'll be polished... :o

I really do like the fuse being so low to the ground. :thumbsup:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

cjensen wrote: I really do like the fuse being so low to the ground. :thumbsup:
so did i.... BTW, next time you want something milled ..take it to the local technical college. they will likely do it for free. especially something that simple.

or i could have sent you mine to borrow. :oops:
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Good idea Willy! That never crossed my mind! :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

flytoboat
Class E

Fuse stands

Post by flytoboat »

Chad,
I've read some builders use fuse rotators (converted Harbor Freight engine stand) while working inside the fuse. Did you consider this? Pros and Cons?
Don
RV6A purchased flying

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Nope. Never considered a rotating stand. Not really sure why, I just never envisioned having any problems getting in the thing to work on it...crossing my fingers, I haven't had trouble yet. I really wanted it to be mobile, and rotating stands could be made mobile (Carl is going to do this), but I didn't want to get in to that expense, and didn't need it to rotate.

I don't have a pros/cons list since I never gave it any thought.

:)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Very nice Chad, something more to copy when I get that far along.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

For the record, I have already staked my claim to Chad's fuse stands once he is done with them. :mrgreen: :P
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

weezbad
Class C

Re: Fuse stands

Post by weezbad »

flytoboat wrote:Chad,
I've read some builders use fuse rotators (converted Harbor Freight engine stand) while working inside the fuse. Did you consider this? Pros and Cons?
when your young, and healthy it really isnt a problem...but then not all of us are young and healthy. i was for the first year and a half.....after i got well enough to start back on the plane it was tough getting under it.....and it was on saw horses. my legs were so weak if i leaned to far fwd on the little roller stool i would loose my balance..for that matter i couldnt close my eyes while standing...my nereves were reallllly shot. (de myleniated) there are much better now. :) but thats a whole nuther deal. thank god for cytoxin and steriods.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

I must be getting old. I bought a rotating stand from another user and it is great. I can easily adjust the fuselage so I can reach pretty much any area.
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I was just sitting here thinking Chad that you have a seriously good looking project going on there. I am somewhat envious of your progress. Keep it up, I want a ride. :thumbsup:

Good Job.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Why thank you Spike! You are welcome to a ride...someday!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support