Plane gone - now for the cancer

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

jimpappas
Class E

Post by jimpappas »

To all my buds, I have been keeping a secret while selling my plane which a handful caught on to and that I swore to secrecy due to my kid still being deployed and didn't know about it. Once she found out the secret was out.

My kid now knows and should be home very soon so it is safe for me to finally tell the truth to all my friends here.

I have been told I have a Renal Mass on my right kidney. It is operable and I will have the surgery 6/30. They say it will be orthroscopic and outpatient.

They do not think it has spread but won't know for sure until they finish and will monitor me for a while.

This is a tough one for me as most of my family, which used to be large, died from cancer but most of them smoked. I don't, but there are few of us left in my family so I hope the Doctors are right.

My hope is that I am well enough to make it to OSH at least a day or two since I'm only a couple hours away.

Getting well enough to greet the transport plane when the kid comes home is my main focus for now, I've been waiting a year for that hug and I plan to be there no matter what.

The plane can be replaced, I have to beat it for my kids and for a lot of other reasons I won't go into here.

It went to a great home, it returned to it's home out West actually and I'm glad it went to whom and where it ended up. When I'm better I can even go visit it and my pals there.

I have too many people to thank for getting me this far and for helping sell my baby, Doug and Rosie stand out but there are many more, like Spike and Chad that "figured it out" and called or emailed and kept the secret.

Well the secrets out, even in town and at work they know about it so I am actually being greedy and selfish here by writing this because I have no family left but my flying pals amd as the surgery gets closer it gets lonelier and scarier and I could use some chatter to keep me busy.

I'll get word out after the surgery to one of the guys to let everyone know how it went but I will probably be too out of it 6/30-7/2 maybe to reply much but email anyway please.

Most of all, blue skies, be safe and hopefully see you folks at OSH.

You are the closest thing to family that I have in a lot of cases.

Thanks
Jim Pappas
Former RV6A Owner
jimpappas13@gmail.com
843-901-8224

Beata Bennett 843-901-8264
Kiawah/Seabrook Islands Real Estate Sales
gethomes@sbcglobal.net
Kiawah Island, SC

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

best wishes Jim. Family first, the rest is easy.
Brian
Townsend, MT

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Best wishes, we will be thinking about you.
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Jim,

Very sorry to hear about your situation. I will be praying for you and your family. Place your faith in God as he is the one and only true physician!!!

Keep you head up, stay positive and beat this thing!!! Many people do and I see no reason why you should not be one of em!!!

Regards,
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

clreding
Class E

Post by clreding »

Strength comes from the mind, the heart, family and friends. Sounds from your note that you have all the right tools to win this fight!

All our thoughts and prayers are with you

Craig and Marylynn

On Jun 24, 2010, at 10:43 PM, RB Lists - The Hangar wrote:
To all my buds, I have been keeping a secret while selling my plane which a handful caught on to and that I swore to secrecy due to my kid still being deployed and didn't know about it. Once she found out the secret was out.

My kid now knows and should be home very soon so it is safe for me to finally tell the truth to all my friends here.

I have been told I have a Renal Mass on my right kidney. It is operable and I will have the surgery 6/30. They say it will be orthroscopic and outpatient.

They do not think it has spread but won't know for sure until they finish and will monitor me for a while.

This is a tough one for me as most of my family, which used to be large, died from cancer but most of them smoked. I don't, but there are few of us left in my family so I hope the Doctors are right.

My hope is that I am well enough to make it to OSH at least a day or two since I'm only a couple hours away.

Getting well enough to greet the transport plane when the kid comes home is my main focus for now, I've been waiting a year for that hug and I plan to be there no matter what.

The plane can be replaced, I have to beat it for my kids and for a lot of other reasons I won't go into here.

It went to a great home, it returned to it's home out West actually and I'm glad it went to whom and where it ended up. When I'm better I can even go visit it and my pals there.

I have too many people to thank for getting me this far and for helping sell my baby, Doug and Rosie stand out but there are many more, like Spike and Chad that "figured it out" and called or emailed and kept the secret.

Well the secrets out, even in town and at work they know about it so I am actually being greedy and selfish here by writing this because I have no family left but my flying pals amd as the surgery gets closer it gets lonelier and scarier and I could use some chatter to keep me busy.

I'll get word out after the surgery to one of the guys to let everyone know how it went but I will probably be too out of it 6/30-7/2 maybe to reply much but email anyway please.

Most of all, blue skies, be safe and hopefully see you folks at OSH.

You are the closest thing to family that I have in a lot of cases.

Thanks

Jim Pappas
Former RV6A Owner
jimpappas13@gmail.com (jimpappas13@gmail.com

rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=34082#34082

Submitted via email

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Jim,

I am so sorry to hear about your story.

I know what you are going through because I have had similar things in my family as well.

Hang in there brutha!

:| CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

I wish you all the best. My family's prayers go out to you. Your character and priorities are rock solid. A special prayer for the safe return of your child.
Eric
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

cnpeters
Class E

Post by cnpeters »

Wow, Jim!!!! Please keep us apprised - you have many friends here behind you. I have followed many patients with renal cell carcinoma (on the assumption that is what you have) that have done great and had no disruptions to their lives other than follow up checks and scans periodically. Hell, my own son had kidney cancer at the age of 3 with a kidney removal and chemo. He is 15 now and doing great - we are very thankful.
If there are any medical Q's you want to kick around, always feel free to call. 636-751-4589.
Carl
Carl Peters
RV-9A
N92RV (reserved)
Fuselage
http://www.mykitlog.com/cnpeters/

Bob Barrett
Class C

You are In my Prayers Jim

Post by Bob Barrett »

Sorry about the airplane but health and family need to come first. We will keep you in our prayers!!!!!!!!!

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

Jim:

As you can see by the replies here and in other forums, you have a bunch of good folks pulling for you. Whatever the diagnosis is, you will always be able to gain strength from your many friends. Please count me in as one of them.

Sometimes life kicks you in the can. Now its time for you to start kicking back.
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

jimpappas
Class E

thanks

Post by jimpappas »

Thanks all, had a shitty day but the phone kept dinging every couple minutes while in the lawyers office today (classified sorry) and I felt like Clarence in "it's a wonderful life" every time it rings another friends sends me a cool message.

Thanks again
Jim Pappas
Former RV6A Owner
jimpappas13@gmail.com
843-901-8224

gethomes@sbcglobal.net
Kiawah Island, SC

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Jim, this just hurts man. It stinks not knowing what to say and being too far away to give ya a hug. *sigh*

If we can do anything, even if its ridiculous, let us know, we are there.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: thanks

Post by spikescopilot »

jimpappas wrote:Thanks all, had a shitty day but the phone kept dinging every couple minutes while in the lawyers office today (classified sorry) and I felt like Clarence in "it's a wonderful life" every time it rings another friends sends me a cool message.

Thanks again
That's cuz you're family... we luvs you, Jim. :grouphug:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

Jim,
sorry about the plane i know just how you feel...i was sooo close myself to being finished, in more ways that one. But as others have said and you have allude to...there are more important things to do. I am glad to hear you are out of surgery and doing well. Sounds like you can possibly get back in the air if you like...hang in there there is lots left to do. in a year from now you will be thinking "remember when..." i do, and i have a wicked sickness but i am still having a ball. no flying for me except for r/c helicopters. but i have more fun now than i did building by far...but thats due to more time with my wife and kid. good luck....
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Jim, as Wheezbad said hopefully a year from now life will be a lot better! :) It was just good to hear from Wheezbad again! :) I have been wondering how he was doing?

jimpappas
Class E

to all my buds

Post by jimpappas »

Each day the pain in the morning is little better. That's the worst time of day, pain meds worn off, stiff from sleeping in odd positions, etc.

Wiped by end of the day from doing stuff but a little more each day and a little stronger each day.

It's my friends that keep me in touch with what's important and who my friends really are, it's my stubborn bullheaded Navy old school training that says... What? I can't do what? I can never amount to what? I cant do what? That's how I get things done I'm not supposed to be able to.

Knock me on my ass and you better run really fast, this time not so fast :x , takiing a little longer to recover than usual :lol: but once I do get out of my way because all of you that have been so good to me will see what it feels like to ride on a pissed off rhino, those folks that went out of their way to hurt me during this process and there have been a couple and they were a shock even to me, will know what it's like to have a pissed Rhino behind them!

Be well all, hug your loved ones, we never know, I'm not out all the way yet, too many unanswered questions that only a few really close friends know but when you lose as much as I did (think everthing you care about, everything) in as short a period of time as I did the and you look forward to the cancer surgery.

God help those that do that kind of evil in the world.

I love you all and wish nothing but safe flying to everyone that sends wishes to me. I am truly a lucky guy.

I really hope I can heal enough for OSH, it's really iffy right now but there's that Rhino!! :evil:

Besides I gotta see if Chad makes it there in an airplane! I'm so proud and happy for you dude!
Jim Pappas
Former RV6A Owner
jimpappas13@gmail.com
843-901-8224

gethomes@sbcglobal.net
Kiawah Island, SC

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Thanks man! I'm MORE proud of you though!

Keep the head high my friend...it can't get any worse, right!!?? :wink: 8)

One way or another, I will see you soon. If not at Oshkosh, I'll come for a visit in August! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

You guys rock!
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Sorry to read this Jim, but attitude is what really helps people through this kind of thing, keep that positive attitude.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

jimpappas
Class E

I'm trying

Post by jimpappas »

The cancer they say is gone the healing is taking longer than they thought.

Has to do with other things in my personal life that I cant get into.

All I can do is take one day at a time and know that I have lots of RV buddies that care.

I'm still going to try for at least one day at OSH but right now until staples come out next week I wont know until the last minute.

Thanks to all
Jim Pappas
Former RV6A Owner
jimpappas13@gmail.com
843-901-8224

gethomes@sbcglobal.net
Kiawah Island, SC