The Big Cut

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

cnpeters
Class E

The Big Cut

Post by cnpeters »

Did the Big Cut today on the tip up canopy, and as many have reported, it wasn't bad at all and actually rather mundane. There has been a trend using vibrating saws as of late, and I used a Harbor Freight cheapy that worked well. Little debris, little odor, and very easy to control (I would first score my cut line, then plunge and follow for a full thickness cut. Of course, it is imperative to tape across your cut every 4-6 inches). So, an alternative method for cutting for those who haven't reached this point yet.
And thank you Chad and Mike B for your excellent websites that have provided me considerable guidance!

Carl Peters
RV-9A
N92RV (reserved)
Fuselage
http://www.mykitlog.com/cnpeters/

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

good job.

I agree the toughest part of the big cut is making the decision to do it. once you touch the plexi it gets real easy.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

This is the first I have heard about using a vibrating saw. I think that is a great idea. I would think it is a lot more controllable. Thanks for the tip.
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Excellent Carl! Looks fantastic! I'm really happy to hear the vibrating saw worked well.

BTW...hope your trip was a blast! Gotta chat soon... 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Sweetness. What do you mean tape over the cut every few inches. I didn't get that.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

clreding
Class E

Post by clreding »

My wife gave me one for Christmas. (I was supposed to fix some tiles in the bathroom). I used it on the fiberglass for the wingtips. Wasn't half as messy as the dremel tool.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Cut a few inches, then place some duct tape over the cut to keep the weight of the part being cut off the canopy...the rough initial cut *might* be susceptible to cracking. Tho, I did some testing on this, and I could NOT get the waste parts to crack...

That is a rough cut piece that is bent end to end, and I couldn't get it to break or even show signs of a crack. I'm sure if I wasn't trying, it probably would have tho. :roll:

Also, notice in that picture the tape...that's what we're talking about here...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Thanx! Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

Not that I am any where near this stage of the game...but I am curious.

Is there a special blade that you guys used with the vibrating saw? I am not too familiar with these tools other than seeing them in the local home depot from time to time. It makes a lot of sense to me to use this than a spinning carbide blade in a die grinder. I have seen photos of guys covered in dust after they cut away with "the wheel." I can envision the spinning blade getting away from me as well. Just looking for info for down the road.

CD
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

flytoboat
Class E

Post by flytoboat »

Carl, Great job! Another milestone completed. Since you're in my neck of the woods now, if you need an extra hand for anything, don't hesitate to call.
Don
RV6A purchased flying

cnpeters
Class E

Post by cnpeters »

BUT, while I did the same experiment, that same piece you are holding cracked midway through my cut, but fortunately the crack was in the scrap. After scratching my head (I also bent pieces way over like you), I figured the piece was loaded as the canopy sides were splayed significantly wider than the fuse on the bench. I figured that was probably the reason, and made sure thereafter that the canopy was braced to the same width as the fuselage - from then on, I never had a crack appear.
cjensen wrote:Cut a few inches, then place some duct tape over the cut to keep the weight of the part being cut off the canopy...the rough initial cut *might* be susceptible to cracking. Tho, I did some testing on this, and I could NOT get the waste parts to crack...

That is a rough cut piece that is bent end to end, and I couldn't get it to break or even show signs of a crack. I'm sure if I wasn't trying, it probably would have tho. :roll:

Also, notice in that picture the tape...that's what we're talking about here...
Carl Peters
RV-9A
N92RV (reserved)
Fuselage

cnpeters
Class E

Post by cnpeters »

The ones I've seen come with the blade as one of the attachments. It may be fully circular, or a partial disc; all with tiny teeth. As the to and fro movement is so small, it won't cut soft materials well. When I used to cut casts off of scared children, I would hold the vibrating blade to my palm to show that it won't cut skin.
Cherokee Driver wrote:Not that I am any where near this stage of the game...but I am curious.

Is there a special blade that you guys used with the vibrating saw? I am not too familiar with these tools other than seeing them in the local home depot from time to time. It makes a lot of sense to me to use this than a spinning carbide blade in a die grinder. I have seen photos of guys covered in dust after they cut away with "the wheel." I can envision the spinning blade getting away from me as well. Just looking for info for down the road.

CD
Carl Peters
RV-9A
N92RV (reserved)
Fuselage