End of the year build/flying status updates!

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

End of the year build/flying status updates!

Post by cjensen »

Where do you stand as we end 2010?

I'm at 27.1 hours flight time as of today... 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

smithhb
Class D

Post by smithhb »

165.0 hours... No problems
Bret Smith
9A Flying (N16BL)
Blue Ridge, GA
http://www.FlightInnovations.com
APRS Tracking: http://www.flightinnovations.com/tracking.html

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I'm at about 17.5 on N987MB. So far she is a blast to fly.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Just had a look at the logbook....I am at 85hrs on the Hobbs so far. My goal was to have 100+hrs in make/model and 100+ TW time before my insurance is due again in March. I have both of those covered now counting all my training prior to flying my aircraft.

I hope this will reduce my premium somewhat.

The plane has been a pure joy. Other than the oil cooler baffle cracking, it has not given me much trouble at all.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

2.8hrs :) :) :)

I'm going to try to fly everyday possible this winter. did 0.8hr today...HOLY CRAP this is wild. I had to pull the throttle back twice to let my brain catch up.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Pretty soon you will be pulling the throttle back....cuz your wallet is hurting at the gas pump!!!!
hydroguy2 wrote:2.8hrs :) :) :)

I'm going to try to fly everyday possible this winter. did 0.8hr today...HOLY CRAP this is wild. I had to pull the throttle back twice to let my brain catch up.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

At the half way point of my Phase One testing.
Taking a break to work on installation of the wheel pants.

The only squawk worth mentioning so far was the replacement of the mechanical fuel pump at 5 hours due to it leaking oil at the gaskets.
New pump has been dry and working great since.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

I am at 85 hours, and am still trying to get the right weather on the right day to go pick up the plane from the paint shop. It has been sitting there for a month :bang:
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Still working on building the darn thing. This month has stalled because of the holidays and a building project at church. It will fly one day if I don't too frustrated and chuck it for a cardinal or something.

As for progress the baggage compartment is in, seats are fabricated, forward cabin panels fabricated and in. I am currently working on the the flap actuating mechanism. Im about to hit 2 years since I got out of the 172 and its driving me batty ... :smash:

I'm real proud (and envious) of you guys that got flying this year. Go team!!

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Spike wrote:...if I don't too frustrated and chuck it for a cardinal or something.
Don't make us force impeachment proceedings on you...our fearless leader!!

:wink: :mrgreen:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Spike, Just keep pounding those rivets! The end result is well worth it :) Cold weather screws a lot of things up! I am all finished with my second condition inspection except for running the engine and putting the cowling back on. However the weather here has prohipted doing it in an unheated hanger. We have 128.5 hours on the N784TB.l

airguy
Class E

Post by airguy »

Still building the darn thing, at about the same spot as Spike, the fuse is basically complete and the finish kit is inventoried.

I haven't been able to work on it for about 3 weeks now, and probably won't for at least a couple more months - I'm in the process of selling my house and moving, so it's going in temporary storage for a bit until I can get my new shop set up. VERY frustrating!
Greg Niehues
Midland, TX
RV9A - finishing - 90% done, 90% to go
http://websites.expercraft.com/airguy/
Building a 9A with too much fuel and too much engine - should drop dead any minute now. :roll:

Thermos
Class D

Post by Thermos »

I've had similar impure thoughts about buying a nice used Cessna 182...we sold our Archer five years ago, thinking we'd be flying the RV by now. Doesn't look like that'll be happening any time soon. :bang:

We're working on the tailcone now....my wife and I have decided that 2011 will be the Year Of The Fuselage...we want it (mostly) done and ready to move into a hangar by the end of next year. Gonna requre a major application of thrust!

Dave
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

The year draws to a close for me with a finished fuselage kit, saving money for the finishing kit. (Hey Greg... can I borrow yours for a while?)

It's a bit frustrating having nothing to do. Nevertheless, it's been a great year. The highlight was pulling it all out in the driveway a few months ago for mating the wings. That was fun. I'm playing around with some panel planning software and trying to make some decisions about all the big-ticket items coming up.

Hang in there Dave. The fuselage kit is fun. Keep at it and you'll have a finished fuselage before you know it.
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

760 hours on mine, and I am having too much fun flying to spend much time on the web anymore.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Wow Pat!!! That a lot of flying!!! Nice! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

jimpappas
Class E

YEAR END 2010 STATUS

Post by jimpappas »

Still grounded but also still ABOVE ground!

Thanks for a year of good wishes from all of you.

Blue skies for all of you in the next year too.
Jim Pappas
Former RV6A Owner
jimpappas13@gmail.com
843-901-8224

Beata Bennett 843-901-8264
Kiawah/Seabrook Islands Real Estate Sales
gethomes@sbcglobal.net
Kiawah Island, SC

stanman
Class G
Location: 2123 Liberty...1 Lennie Av. Main Beach..Southport. 4217. Queensland.. australia

re status

Post by stanman »

Had hoped for an engine start...but other things got in the way.....electric things....plenum...ram air induction...with subsequent cowl mods .etc ..etc..yu know how it is!...So...have pulled the a/c to pieces...and commenced painting..everythings primed except cowls...weather.s gone crappy....This final10%...seems to be the hardest........As they say,there.s always next year!!..Happy Christmas to all....stan
stanman...rv8...fuselage

jimpappas
Class E

Year end

Post by jimpappas »

Oh and I did sneak in one ride this year that I may have handled the controls and maybe shot a landing. For me that was huge!
Jim Pappas
Former RV6A Owner
jimpappas13@gmail.com
843-901-8224

Beata Bennett 843-901-8264
Kiawah/Seabrook Islands Real Estate Sales
gethomes@sbcglobal.net
Kiawah Island, SC

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Spike wrote:Still working on building the darn thing. This month has stalled because of the holidays and a building project at church. It will fly one day if I don't too frustrated and chuck it for a cardinal or something.

As for progress the baggage compartment is in, seats are fabricated, forward cabin panels fabricated and in. I am currently working on the the flap actuating mechanism. Im about to hit 2 years since I got out of the 172 and its driving me batty ... :smash:

I'm real proud (and envious) of you guys that got flying this year. Go team!!

Spike
Hey Spike, don't sweat it too much, we all seem to get into lifes other important tasks that come first before building. Heck, I set a 4 year goal for a slow build, and it took almoust 7 years to get it flying.

Enjoy the journey, before you know it, you will be flying it and having withdrawals of something to do around the house after it's all done ;).
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR