Home-built Aircraft Survey

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

jhh46
Class G

Home-built Aircraft Survey

Post by jhh46 »

Home-built Aircraft Builders, both past and present: Embry-Riddle Graduate Student and EAA Chapter 105 (Oregon) member needs your input. I am currently conducting a survey to identify and analyze causes of “builder’s blockâ€￾, those long delays in the build process. I am involved in a partnership building an RV-7a myself while working on my Master of Aeronautical Science degree. The short online survey is part of my Capstone Graduate Project. It is intended to collect the experiences of fellow home-built aircraft project builders for a graduate study. No personal or private information will be collected or requested. Just your experiences with your home-built aircraft project in ten simple questions! Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom! Jim Hand, Chapter 105 EAA, Graduate Student, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

Follow this link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MWKXTXL- ... der-Survey

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I'm done with my build but having built two planes now and having hit that builder's block twice, I went ahead and took your survey. Good luck with the graduate project.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

jhh46
Class G

Post by jhh46 »

Thanks Scott: I appreciate hearing from you and capturing your experience with your two builds. I will put the results up on a link or somehow so those who are interested can read as much as they want about my conclusions. Best, Jim Hand

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Struggling to get my project finished i filled out the form. Hope you get some good info :thumbsup:

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

jhh46
Class G

Survey

Post by jhh46 »

John: Appreciate your input, some distinct trends are developing after 200+ responses. I will post the results once I get the study written for everybody to take a look if they are interested. Thanks again! JHH

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I just participated too!

One thing that you asked about was the online resources. I prefer the input of my fellow local builders over the online "professionals" from afar.

That's not to say that they are wrong. Many of them are right but the static that develops between them as they bicker about how to help you is off topic and needless. It distracts from the topic and is not required.

I got over my biggest block during the wings when Dave R. (Wicked Stick) came over regularly to push me along and bang rivets. Without him then, I may have given up. Thanks Dave!

Since then a divorce came into play and I have gotten sidetracked with living life. I have met wonderful women and need a break from the project mentally.

Now I have a great girlfriend who is very supportive and I am tinkering on the canopy here and there. Honestly, I could be more productive but to put it into perspective... this is a hobby and not a job.

Michele and I love to fly and it would shorten the commute to the house in Maine, but in time it will be done. In the meanwhile we can borrow planes.

As a teacher, I have more available time than most. It is a shame that I don't get more things done than I do!

Oh well...

I do what I can do. Does this help?

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Jim,

I'm a chapter 105 member, too! I didn't know you were doing this, but I took your survey, too. I'll watch for you at future chapter meetings and events. Say hello if you see me, okay? I'd love to chat with you about your 7A project, and compare notes.
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Finally had a chance to take your survey...good on ya for collecting the info!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

jhh46
Class G

Thanks!

Post by jhh46 »

Bruce, CJ, Thanks so much for taking time to share your experiences in my survey. When I did the literature review for this project, I was shocked to find precious little that would lead one to believe anybody had ever asked builders what they had encountered while the memory was fresh or better yet, the project still underway. I will try to make sure everybody who is interested gets a look at the results. The raw data so far is conclusive on one thing...LIFE is the major culprit in slowing things up. The pro's out at Van's tell me that they have had projects that have been delayed for decades get restarted and completed. Based on their input and others, I came to accept that extremely few of these projects are ever totally abandoned. The dream stays alive and after LIFE settles down, out comes the rivet gun....

My involvement has consisted of writing checks and helping out the project manager and individual with 99% of the talent when I can make a contribution. It is a fascinating obsession, I am sure you agree! Jim Hand

Mike Balzer
Class E

Post by Mike Balzer »

I took your survey,
My biggest block is FAMILY. I have 3 kids and two of them are in sports, all stars and traveling team. Sometimes it seems like a month will go by and no time to work on my plane
It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, then being in the air and wishing you were on the ground. N78MB

jhh46
Class G

Post by jhh46 »

Mike: The time demands on parents are nothing short of epic these days! This too shall pass....