Bill of Sale

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Bill of Sale

Post by Spike »

I have a BOS question for the group.

I have purchased all 4 kits but have not yet received a BOS from Vans. My infantile understanding is that once all 4 kits have been purchased Vans will issue a BOS upon request.

If I sell the kit to someone they will need an ownership trail for the FAA. So at this point do I get the BOS from Vans and then issue another BOS to the new kit owner, or can I get Vans to acknowledge the transfer of ownership and have them issue the BOS directly to the purchaser?

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

I think you have it right. You fill out the paperwork for Vans BOS. then IF you sell prior to airworthiness, you would make up one of your own in addition to the Vans BOS.

The other option I believe is: if you never received a BOS from Vans for your kit, you can give the purchaser a notarized BOS for your project(include your builder number). They in turn can use that to contact Vans and receive a BOS from Vans, along with a onetime free prints/manual update.

I may be wrong, but it's close to that.
Brian
Townsend, MT

timotb
Class E

Is a Bill of Sale really needed?

Post by timotb »

When is the bill of sale needed? ....just for registration? If a kit RV7 is already registered and you have an N number, I don't think you need a bill of sale anymore unless you sell it again at which time you create a new BOS.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by timotb on Mon May 06, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaAV8R
Class G

BOS

Post by DaAV8R »

I have purchased all 4 kits but had not given the BOS any thought. What would be the advantages/disadvantages of getting the BOS now vs. later?

Robert

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

My recommendation is that you contact Vans and get the Bill of Sale. Then keep it is a safe place where you won't lose it. If you decide to sell the airplane before you complete it give them a new Bill of Sale and provide them with your original Bill of Sale. It can sometimes become a real hassle if several people have owned the kits and there is no bill of sale. Keep your paper work up to date in case your estate becomes involved in the sale of your kits!

leffler
Class E

Post by leffler »

Getting the bill of sale from Van's is pretty easy. Just drop them an email or give them a call. I had the paperwork about a week later. They were pretty prompt in processing the request.
Bob Leffler
RV-10 - Flying
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

Doakes
Class E

Post by Doakes »

In my situation, I bought two kits from another person, he transferred his kits to me at Van's, I ordered two more kits, and then when I began the registration process, Van's issued me the paper work to get the registration.
MTCW,
Dave