Introduction

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

mkjprice
Class G

Introduction

Post by mkjprice »

Hello All!

I have been a member for a while, but have been lurking and reading.

A little background. I am a 4th Generation Pilot. My Great Grandfather was an early Army Air Core Instructor, and ferried B-29's over the pond. After the war he started Hollister Air Service (now gone) in Hollister, CA. My Grandfather flew before he could drive. His younger brother soloed 16 aircraft on his 16th birthday. My Grandmother also became a pilot.

My Mom's younger Sister who married my Dad's younger Brother are both pilots, with my Uncle flying his Arrow from Columbia, CA to San Jose, CA a few time as his commute. 45 minute flight or a 3 hour drive, you pick.

I got my PPL in November of 1999 while working for Chandler Air Service (KCHD) as a fueler. I was 22 at the time. In 2001 after getting married, my wife and I moved to Sanford, FL to attend Comair Aviation Academy. I was working on my Instrument Rating when 9/11 happened. I completed flight school all the way through my CFII and Multi Commercial and have not flown much since, due to the decline of the aviation market.

I have worked in Real Estate as an Appraiser since 2005 and I am also an Insurance Agent for Farm Bureau in Utah. I live in Nephi, UT with my wife and 4 year old son.

I plan to start building and RV-8 in the spring next year, and I plan to use this project to keep me sane, and to help me teach my son how to stick with a tough job until it is finished. Also it will be fun to have him help me, as he is an aviation geek, just as much as his dad is.

If you are ever coming through central Utah, and need any help, I would be willing to help out. My airport is U14 and it is recently repaved to almost 6000 feet and 100 wide right at 5000' msl. Beautiful county here, and a hotel in town can be had for less than $50 a night. Fuel is in the $5.00 range.
Mike Price
"The longer I live , the more I realize that sense is not common".

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

That's one solid bio Mike! Keep the dynasty in continuance. If you are ever in our woods (NYC) you will have a roof over your RV for the time you are here.
Get the RV8 empennage now and the rest in the spring next year. Be ahead of the game as that 16 years old...
RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Its great to have you! Welcome aboard!! :welcome:

I look forward to you starting your project. Keep us posted please.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Welcome to rivetbangers Mike!
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Welcome to RB Mike! Keep us posted and if you get to Central MN let us know. I live in Sartell, which is just North of St. Cloud, MN (KSTC) My RV-6A is based at (K8Y6).

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Welcome Mike!

Even if you don't plan on starting until spring, order the preview plans, all the drawings are there (in smaller format) and lots of good things to read and look at before starting. I got my preview plans months ahead of time, really glad I did so when the tail kit showed up I was ready to get my hands dirty.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Mike, if you come over to Oregon to visit Vans, give me a call or send me a message. I live about 25 miles from Vans and I'd love to have you over to check out my project, and chat for a while. It would be a pleasure to meet you. :)
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward