Is extremely close multi ship side by side formation safe?

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Question on the safety of extremely close multi ship side by side formation (wingtip to wingtip)....is it a safe formation?

Uneducated pilots want to know!
Last edited by Brantel on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

cbkillion
Class G

Post by cbkillion »

I thought the same thing. It looked like there was no room for an out and if there was some contact it would cause a domino-like effect with contact going down the line. Not saying that they weren't being safe, it just looked like a little more hairy situation than the flying V with less room for error.

Take this with a grain of salt. Not only am I uneducated, I'm not even a pilot.
- Brett
...Fuselage...?

www.rv8plane.com

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

Makes you wonder what sort of legal papers had to be signed by all participants......
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I was wondering if this was going to come up. I assume that we are referring to the Mythbusters episode? There didn't appear to be much room for error.

Interesting thing to do with passengers on board.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Yep and yep....
Last edited by Brantel on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Brantel wrote:Yep and yep....but we are not allowed to discuss it over there. Too bad!
WOW!!! That is so hypocritical coming from someone who only flies wearing nomex underoos!

:o

I think this is a perfectly VALID question and in the spirit of education and safety, I would like to chat it up!

Just recently the formation bug has bitten me once again and we have been considering polishing our collective skills and have a desire to learn.

We have done some simple 2 ship stuff but would like to take things a bit further in the future as skills are acquired.

Hmmm, maybe I am not worthy of asking these questions? I am not superpilot material. I should be ashamed.

:oops: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Bring it dude. It could be a fun conversation. Its welcome here, you know that.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Brian, from the limited formation education that I have, I am told that when you are in formation and have a problem you are expected to pull up to depart the group. Even with no power the group will depart your proximity quickly and you can then do what is required to your plane.

This is called "bugging out" from what I recall. Perhaps Wicked Stick could elaborate?

I know that he used to fly with the Clipper formation group around here and he is the one who explained this to me.

8) CJ
RV-7

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

captain_john wrote:Brian, from the limited formation education that I have, I am told that when you are in formation and have a problem you are expected to pull up to depart the group. Even with no power the group will depart your proximity quickly and you can then do what is required to your plane.

This is called "bugging out" from what I recall. Perhaps Wicked Stick could elaborate?

I know that he used to fly with the Clipper formation group around here and he is the one who explained this to me.

8) CJ
Wow CJ! That was a very lucid, intelligent response! And at 6:19 in the morning too! :evil:
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

pazmanyflyer
Class G

Post by pazmanyflyer »

Either he's been up all night building and on his second wind or that is some great coffee! :-D

Carlos in Arizona

On 12/3/2011 6:40 AM, RB Lists - The Hangar wrote:

captain_john wrote: Brian, from the limited formation education that I have, I am told that when you are in formation and have a problem you are expected to pull up to depart the group. Even with no power the group will depart your proximity quickly and you can then do what is required to your plane.

Image CJ

Wow CJ! That was a very lucid, intelligent response! And at 6:19 in the morning too! Image

Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, makin' wing parts
Hatz build log. http://websites.Expercraft.com/painless
Peshtigo, WI

rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=38669#38669

-- Carlos Hernandez <carlosh@sec-engr.com> (carlosh@sec-engr.com) Structural Engineers Company 2963 W. Elliot Rd. - Suite 3 Chandler, AZ 85224 Phone: 480.968.8600 Fax: 480.968.8608 www.sec-engr.com CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE The information in this email may be confidential and/or privileged. This email is intended to be reviewed by only the individual or organization named above. If you are not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination or copyingof this email and its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is prohibited. If you havereceived this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and delete this email from your system.[/code]
Submitted via email

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Guys, I wish that I could take credit for being the sharp tack that you so strongly admire, but noooo...

It was already 9 AM here on the East Coast!

:lol: CJ
RV-7

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

http://www.teamrv.us/coppermine/index.php?cat=4

Here's a good place to get a lot of documentation on formation flying with RV's.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

I have skimmed thru all the stuff I could find including the TeamRV stuff on formation flying and the T34 manual and I have not seen any mention of this being an approved formation. Maybe I missed it but if I did not, seems they left that one out for a reason.....