Learning Artwork

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

s10sakota
Class E

Learning Artwork

Post by s10sakota »

Hey all,

I thought I would show off my latest creation. I am learning how to draw illustrations with Paint Shop Pro and this is the first complete aircraft I've made.

It's far from perfect, but for me this is really fun to learn. Getting the shading right is really difficult and I am continuing to perfect the technique. The spinner was my first attempt at making chrome.

Enjoy...

Mark
RV-7A Tail Kit - Wings Delivered!
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Nice work Mark! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Actually that looks great!!

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Mark, I like the design very similiar to what I used on my airplane. If you go on my photo gallery you can see my airplane. My fuselage, vertical Stab, Rudder and gear legs wheel pants are red. I have a vary similiar white stripe from on each side of the fuselage and wheel pants. I used white viynl for the stripes. The wings, horizontal Stab and elevators are white but wing tips are red. I like the color scheme right now we have five inche os snow on the ground so if anyone ever has to look for me there is enough red to be clearly visible. The white wings show up better in the sky around airports etc. and also are quite visible against dark colors such as a hayfield, corn patch or woods. Needless to say Red is my favorite color so therefore all the rationalization. Now if I could learn to spell I would be okay :P

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

Last edited by s10sakota on Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mark
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Mark, very close the N is N784TB. The numbers donate birth month of our three children. Tango is for my wife Terry and B os for Bob. My wing tips have the all in one tip lights. A Green or Red position light, a strobe light, and white tail light. A little pricy but functional and saves the hassel of running a wife to the rudder etdc. I have duck works leading edge landing lights. My spinner is red but first glance I thought you sure had it right. I can't help but wonder if the fuselage silohette is slightly different between the 6A and 7A?

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

Bob, I know there are a few things different from the drawing and your plane. I guess it wasn't meant to be an exact copy. I did see that your spinner was red and you had the different wingtip lights. I actually just didn't feel like redrawing that part :)

I'm not sure if the fuselage profile is different between the 6 and 7, but vertical tail sure is. The drawing is obviously still the 7 tail.

I just thought I would paint your plane after your post mostly to see for myself how difficult it would be to make a white airplane red.

Like I said, I am a total beginner at making these drawings so sometimes I do things just to learn how or just to 'see' if I can actually do it.
Mark
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Mark, I was not being critical and enjoyed seeing it done. Maybe the profile difference is only in the vertical stab and rudder? Everything else is very close especailly the wind screen section which sure varies by builder. My painter made mine look good.

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

No worries Bob-I didn't think at all that you were being critical. I was just explaining the main reason for the differences....my laziness :(
Mark
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I just really like how the shading and light bounces. Very cool...I'd love have this for my Tailwind! I spent hundreds of hours designing over 100 paint schemes for my RV-7 in Photoshop...but I like this better!

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

Chad, I do have a Tailwind sticker if you're looking for something to display...http://aircraftstickers.com/Experimental_Page.htm

Making these illustrations is really fun and I will probably end up drawing a tailwind sometime. I wish I still had my tailwind ribs I started a few years ago but I donated them to the chapter. Oh well...
Mark
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Ok here you go. Chad or Mark or anyone else. the RV-4 I'm helping on needs a paint job. the owner likes these lines but would like to use a creamy white for the base color. Then a darker blue(navy?) for the top stripe and either a lighter blue or possibly a red for the under stripe.
His dad a cherokee that was cream w/blue so is kinda sentimental.

on this one have the darker blue underneath with a red upper accent
Imageany help would be great.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Brian. N755DW was built and flown in this picture by Doug Wieler, President of the MN Wing of Van's Airforce. Doug sold it a few years ago and is now building an RV-7. I think he should be pretty close to having it done. If you go on to Van's web site there is a link to the MN Wing. I have it in the computer memory but not in my memory. It is neat airplane.

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

I've been repainting this airplane a number of times just for fun. I think that one of my favorite parts about bulding an airplane is just designing paint schemes. This one is pretty simple, but drawing it let me work on different shading lessons.

I'm looking for a huge favor from you guys...I started this drawing by scanning the 3-view drawing in my RV-7 manual. I'd like to have a scan of the other RV models.

Would anyone here be willing to scan their 3-view drawing (I only need the side view) and e-mail it to me?

I would really appreciate it!! My e-mail is s 1 0 s a k o t a @ y a h o o . c o m
Mark
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

(Bob-I've updated the pic of your red plane above)
Mark
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

anyone have a RV-4 side view they can scan in. I could use some help?
Brian
Townsend, MT

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

I have a challenge for you. As you know I've been busy drawing illustrations. I now have about 12 of them completed. The most accurate way of making these illustrations is from a photo and not from a side view drawing.

My S-6S was drawn from a photo and my S-19s and RV's are drawn from a 3-view drawing.

See http://www.ransclan.com/illustration.htm

The S-6S is perfectly accurate and the S-19 is full of inaccuracies. Once I complete one airplane, say the S-6S, I can put any paint scheme on it and don't have to redraw the whole airplane. But the first time I draw an airplane, I need a very specific photo to start with. This is where you come in. I need photos of your planes! I need a photo of every model of RV!

So what kind of picture is required? Hmmm...glad you asked...

Notice the photo below of my S-6S...

This was taken at close range and as you can see, the wing is way out of perspective because I was too close.

Now look at this picture...

It's pretty much the same picture but I took this one from about 300 feet away with full zoom on my camera.

This is the exact photo that I drew my S-6S illustration from (although I shrunk it WAY down just to post here)

So, want to send me a pic of your plane? Here's the requirements for the photo...

1. Take the photo from about 300 feet away, zoom in (with optical zoom only) until the plane fills the screen.
2. Make sure the sun is on the camera side of the plane.
3. Take the photo at the highest quality setting-at least 14 megapixels
4. Here's the tricky part-the camera needs to be positioned perfectly! The camera can't be to high, to far forward, backward, low, etc... Use my picture as an example. We are looking for the most perfect side profile shot possible. Notice on my photo that the right gear leg and wheel pant is nearly perfectly behind the left one. Also notice that the right wing strut is almost perfectly behind the left one. The camera isn't too high and the camera isn't too low.
5. Once you download your photo from your camera to your computer, it will be about 5-6 megabites. Keep it this large when you send it!
6. Oh, and the plane should be facing to the left like in the photo above!

If I use your picture, I'll put your paint scheme on the plane. If I can get a good quality print, I'll even send you a free print that you can frame. Check the web...illustrators are charging $200 for a custom illustration. I'll do it for free in exchange for your photo!

I'm looking forward to seeing what I get!!!

Thanks everyone.

Send photos to s10sakota at yahoo dot com
Mark
2011 RANS S-6S
www.AircraftStickers.com
www.AeroDraw.com

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Drat! wish I would have known this yesterday. It as a beautiful clear bright afternoon. I could have got a great pic. Now it's snowing for probably 5 days. :(
Brian
Townsend, MT

trent772
Class G

Post by trent772 »

Go on - put our RV7 G-IVII on here......... :lol:

Mike

s10sakota
Class E

Post by s10sakota »

OK, here it is :)

I still like 'my' version better :evil: