Flying with dog

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Flying with dog

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

Done here in Kuwait and returning to the states shortly. I acquired a dog that was rescued from the desert when she was a puppy and will be bringing her back with me.

She will be traveling with me on Qatar Airways as checked baggage KWI-DOH-JFK.

Anyone else ever shipped a dog as checked baggage before? Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I dont have any advice on the doggy, but looking forward to having you back dude! :thumbsup:

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

I need to be back, havent any beer in almost 5 months and the same for bourbon and pork products. May eventually end up in Savannah building Gulfstreams.

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Made it back on the 29th of April, short flight from Kuwait, 14 hour long flight from Doha to JFK. Me and the dog made it OK. I have been catching up with the three essential "B's" (beer, bacon, and bourbon). The dog has been introduced to many new things she never had the chance to experience in Kuwait; green grass, trees, the sounds of birds chirping, and bacon which she likes.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Welcome back and thanks for serving!

BTW, Wyatt says that she is going to LOVE those Loose Cannon Heavy Seas!

He does, although Harpoons are his favorite!

(Bostonian Ale for a Bostonian Dog)

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Welcome back Tom and if you and the dog ever get to Sartell MN I will have a four cold ones available. On for you, two for the do and one for me! Thanks for serving! My Grandfather Barrett fought is the Civil War and my Brother and a number of cousins fought in WWII.

RobDob
Class E

Post by RobDob »

I work in Doha Radar, hope you had a delay free arrival & departure! (Although unlikely.....too many aeroplanes & only 1 runway!) Shame I couldn't have bought you a beer between flights..........if only they sold it in the airport! :bang:
RV8 Flying G-DOBS

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

RobDob wrote:I work in Doha Radar, hope you had a delay free arrival & departure!
yeah, right. Doha sucks on the ground. Why the additional delay on NDIA?
RobDob wrote:Shame I couldn't have bought you a beer between flights..........if only they sold it in the airport! :bang:
I go through the premium terminal, but they wouldnt let me have whiskey or beer because it was before 1000. I passed on the champagne.

RobDob
Class E

Post by RobDob »

Yup, Doha sucks on the ground alright, with a capital 'S'!!

NDIA, or Hamad International as its now known, has been cursed with delays from the outset by poor management & generally being run by idiots. Already thee are too few stands for the rapidly expanding fleet & it hasn't opened!! The grand opening on April 1st was canned at 2130 the night before after it failed on around 2000 safety issues! The new terminal is pretty amazing though, should you ever venture back this way......and if its open!!!

Latest rumour on opening is last quarter of this year........inshallah!!

No beer before 10am? How civilised!! :lol:
RV8 Flying G-DOBS

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

RobDob wrote:Yup, Doha sucks on the ground alright, with a capital 'S'!!
Where else except in that region, you arrive late after circling the airport for an hour, get on a bus that goes to the arrivals terminal first before going to the premium terminal for transfer. My 1:45 layover dissolved into nothing. You would think that passengers transferring would have a higher priority of movement vs. arrivals.
RobDob wrote: inshallah!!
hopefully I will never use that word again.
RobDob wrote:
No beer before 10am? How civilised!! :lol:
I hadnt had beer in about 5 1/2 months and that statement didnt make me happy. My comment about it being after 10 A.M. in Bangkok or Hong Kong didnt make a difference. Last ramadam I had a 7 hour layover in the evening and they had all the booze locked up as well. Two british couples traveling together got themselves a bottle from the duty free store and poured/mixed their own drinks.

paulie
Class G

Doggie

Post by paulie »

Good for you for rescuing that doggie!
I spent two years at gulfstream, Savannah and would suggest you try Embraer in Jacksonville if you want to be in the south.