Correcting a dimpling screwup

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Thermos
Class D

Correcting a dimpling screwup

Post by Thermos »

Hi all,

When dimpling the upper forward fuselage skin - the one in front of the canopy - I inadvertently grabbed my #4 dimple die set and dimpled 7-8 holes on the aft edge of the skin. Fortunately, I realized my mistake before I did the whole edge!

The dimples are well-formed, but they're just a little too deep for a -426 rivet so I'm not sure the rivets would set properly. I'm considering taking my pneumatic squeezer and flattening those dimples ever so slightly. Or, I've seen Vans recommend using some JB Weld to fill in over-countersunk holes. Replacing the whole skin would be an option, but I don't think it's necessary.

Any other thoughts on how to overcome this?

Dave
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

leffler
Class E

Post by leffler »

Vans will recommend just flattening them, then use the correct dimple. You do need to watch for potential tears and/or cracks.

Trust me, you aren't the first to do this. You shouldn't have any issues. Just don't repeat the process in the same hole again. :mrgreen:
Bob Leffler
RV-10 - Flying
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Dave,

Van's always give the advice that you can re-dimple once and not have it cause excessive weakness. I don't know if you even need to flatten the malformed dimples before you re-dimple them to AN426's. If it was me, I would intentionally dimple a scrap sheet of aluminum with #4's and practice different ways to correct it.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

dpansier
Class G

Post by dpansier »

Dave,

I did the same thing in a few holes and did the following:
I duplicated the incorrect dimple in a scrap piece of Aluminum and re-dimpled with the proper size dimple, I found it corrected the problem nicely with no cracking and with the minimum reforming of the metal.

Give it a try on a piece of scrap to see if it meets your standards.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

First of all, edge roll that aft edge before you go any further!

It has a propensity to catch on the canopy when you open it!

Why not just use 1/8" rivets instead in those locations? Nobody will ever notice.

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

captain_john wrote:

Why not just use 1/8" rivets instead in those locations? Nobody will ever notice.

:wink: CJ
I am with John rivet 1/8 it will be painted anyway :)
RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011