Time for a change ...

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Time for a change ...

Post by Spike »

Hey RB'ers,

As I am sure some of you have noticed, the past few years have proven very difficult for Patti and I to stay as involved in RB as we had been in the past when the site was younger. Actually, to be truthful about it, I have been fairly disappointed in the general lack of involvement and upkeep that has been the norm for me lately. Life has been keeping us super busy with the growing of our business and raising our little girl (who loves airplanes more than her daddy does) :mrgreen:

Patti and I started this place about 10 years ago due to frustration born out of the cliques and non-nonsensical self importance that some were forming on the internet related to EAB and RV's especially. EAB, and RV's (as fast as they were growing) were things to us that had great opportunity to engender camaraderie, relationship, and learning and needed a place that could do just that without providing the risk of ridicule or general unfriendliness.

Over the years I think we have achieved that vision, and not just Patti and I, but all of us. We like to think of RB as '(y)our' place, not Patti or John's place. You guys have made it possible, and for that we will forever be grateful.

With that said, it is unfair to you all for us to keep ownership of RB. We are not currently building, and quite honestly, not currently being active enough to demonstrate to you that there is enough support here to maintain this as a long term viable meeting place for our family. Patti and I have had many very long conversations about this and have come to the decision that it is time for us to turn over the reigns of the site. After working through all of the scenarios and talked to various people, Mike B. has graciously accepted the role of the proprietor and care taker of RB moving forward. Patti and I are very confident that he is ultimately the right choice for us moving forward. We are still intending to stick around and participating, just as the old farts in the corner :)

Please thank Mike for his willingness to do this and help him continue making this a welcoming place for people moving forward. Over then next few days we will be migrating servers to RB's new home. As the software has already been transitioned Mike and I are expecting this to be a fairly painless process. It should result in only a small lapse of availability while the dns and db records are moved over.

One last thought I wanted to share before Mike takes this thing over; Patti and I knowingly started RB as a place where we didn't want the flow of dollars to influence the acceptability of content. In order to preserve that tenet we have been pretty happy to pay the bills associated with hosting, etc. Mike having graciously taken RB over, has done so without ever a conversation related to costs, etc. He has just picked up the ball and run with it. Please keep this in and if the situation arises where Mike needs some help on this front please dont hesitate to help him out.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Wow!

That is huge news!

Spike and Patti, you both have been friends of mine since you started this site. I appreciate your presence in the virtual RV world too!

In the what... Dozen or so years I have known you I have always felt welcome here and enjoyed the small town atmosphere RB has to offer!

Thank you!

Mikey, what can I say? You are DA MAN! Way to step up to the plate!

How can I help out?

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Vlad
Class E

Post by Vlad »

Mike how can I help out?

RV-9A N666BK flying 4,500+ hours since 2011

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Hi All,

I was honored when Spike got in touch with me to take over this site. Out of the dozen or so forums I participate in, this one always stood out as my favorite.

I don't plan to change much about the site when I transition it over to my servers. I intend to keep things as they currently are on RivetBangers - Fun, Friendly and Free! While I appreciate the offers for help, I am good as of right now to handle the transition and all fees associated with running this site. I also don't want this to be thought of as "my" site - this is "our" site! It's the people on Rivetbangers that make it so special.

Over the next few days I will work on the transition of the site over to the new servers. I am hoping it will be seamless, but please let me know if any issues are encountered and I will deal with them as quickly as I can.

Thanks again, Spike, for selecting me take over the administrative side of RivetBangers. I will not let you down and I will do everything I can to keep the spirit of this site going into the future.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

HUGE news, indeed! I will always be grateful for what you created here, Spike and Patti. This has been my favorite place, too. It always feels like "home" here. I have learned so much from others, who have always been eager to help with questions or problems, or to offer some encouragement and a nice "pat on the back".

It's great to know it will still be here for all of us, and I can't think of a better person to take over the reins than Mike. Way to go, Mike! Let me know, too, if there is anything I can do to help out. :)
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Spike, Patti, I'm sad to see it finally happen, but also glad that it is finally here for you to take a breather...and Mikey, what a great choice! 8)

I'm very happy to see RB transition to a new home that will keep the spirit of the site alive.

8) :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Spike, Patti,

Thanks for all the years of fun!

Mike,

Congrats! Your a great person for the job!
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

plbarrett2004
Class E

Post by plbarrett2004 »

I'm still relatively new here, but I have to echo the sentiments of others. Rivetbanger's is a great site, so many thanks to Spike and Patti.

Mike is a great choice for the job.

Cheers!
Peter
Peter Barrett
CFI, CFII, MEI
RV-8 Fastback - Fuselage in progress
Build Log @ papalimabravo.com
SEMPER FIDELIS

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

I'll add my declaration of appreciation to Spike for all his years of selfless service, and to Mike for eagerly accepting the responsibility. Volunteer work, particularly in Chief Administrator robes, can be a job whose demands outweigh its rewards. We lurkers and users don't always express how grateful we are.

I've not spent much time here for many years, but hold out hope that one day my circumstances will change and I'll be Banging Rivets with the Rivet Bangers again.

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: Time for a change ...

Post by spikescopilot »

Spike wrote: .....

Spike

And for the rest of you fine folks, here are a couple pictures of our 3-year project:

Thanks for everything, guys. We intend to still hang around, but the honest truth is that we're not building and we don't always have the time to do the custom coding and fixes that the site sometimes needs. Afterall, princess dance parties, play doh, wooden railway sets, and Tinkerbell movies tend to take up quite a bit of time these days. :)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

Patti and Spike, thanks so much for all you guys have done to start up and maintain Rivetbangers. Part of being a homebuilder is enjoying the company of those that share your passion. This site has certainly facilitated that, and as a result, I have had the pleasure of getting to know some awesome folks. I'm so glad that the site will continue on under Mike's management. Like CJ said, you Da Man Mike! You need me for anything, I'm there.

Regarding the three year project..... What a cutie!
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I made the big switch tonight around 21:30 EDT and moved the site from Spike's server to mine. Please let me know if anyone sees any issues. If for some reason PM's aren't working, please email me at support@rivetbangers.com .
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

Do I get a Tanqueray and Sprite with that request?

:o
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Thanks to Spike and Patti for this great site. When I started considering building and began my research, I joined this site and was welcomed in like a member of the family.

Thanks to Mike for taking over the administrative dutys. I look forward to someday meeting all the great people on this site in person.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

joe plihal
Class G

Post by joe plihal »

Thank you Spike and Patti.
Joe

stevewiz
Class E

Post by stevewiz »

I am also relatively new to Rivet bangers and want to thank you Spike and Patti for the platform you created and maintained. I have learned very much from this site and it is my preferred forum to visit or ask questions.
Also thanks Mike for taking it over and also for your great build site you have that we refer to often. Between your build site and Rivet Bangers forum we can keep the project rolling.
RV-7 N71SW reserved
Started on 10/8/2013
Working on Fuselage as of 5/10/15 95%done
started finish kit on 7/1/16
engine on order from Barett.Will be shown at their EAA booth and then delivered to us after show

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Thanks Spike, Patti and now Mike for Rivetbangers. I don't post much these days but always enjoy RB.

Hope to make it to another Rivetbanger/Otter feed someday.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

hydroguy2 wrote: Hope to make it to another Rivetbanger/Otter feed someday.
Me too but I am gonna need a box!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I am soo looking forward to another otter!
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

aparchment
Class C

Onward!

Post by aparchment »

Spike and Pattie,

Thanks for all you have done for our little community. Nice job on your 3 year project. Mine is similarly cute and enchanting ;)

Mike,

Thanks for stepping up and taking the reins. Between this site and yours you will quickly eclipse Checkoway (if you haven't already) in the halls of RV Internet stardom.

To quote one of my favorite movie characters "keep it fair, keep it fair, awright."
RV-7A Builder
Antony