VFR on top experience

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

VFR on top experience

Post by bullojm1 »

I wanted to share an experience I had this past weekend when I was VFR on top and almost needed to backtrack an hour to get below the deck. I was in Chicago where the cloud layer was scattered at 1,500'. It was a thin layer which I could easily pop through. Looking at the weather METAR's, TAF's and satellite imagery, there was an overcast layer over most of Indiana, breaking up by eastern Indiana. Instead of scud running the whole trip, I decided once I was clear of the Chicago airspace, I would pop up high and cruise VFR on top to where I knew it was clear.

The plan was going well until I saw a wall of clouds that I didn't think I could make it through. My heart started racing - what if I can't make it through in VFR rules? The obvious decision would be to turn back and backtrack an hour to where I knew there were holes in the clouds. Luckily we were able to make it through the cloud build ups and the overcast layer turned back into a scattered layer which we could easily descend through.

A few lessons learned here:
1) I need an instrument rating. I really have no excuse now - my new neighbor is a CFII. I was stuck on the ground at KUGN for over 4 hours waiting for the ATIS to report the clouds >= 1,000', even though I could see blue skies.

2) Ceilings are not indicatives of tops.

3) Be ready to turn around if you are VFR on top.

4) As great as all of the modern weather tools are (ADS-B, satellite imagery, TAF's, METAR's, etc..), none of them told me of this wall of clouds existed.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: VFR on top experience

Post by Spike »

bullojm1 wrote: 1) I need an instrument rating. I really have no excuse now - my new neighbor is a CFII. I was stuck on the ground at KUGN for over 4 hours waiting for the ATIS to report the clouds >= 1,000', even though I could see blue skies.

Thats really everything right there. Flying as much as you do, and doing it across large areas, this is the right way to go. Getting the ticket doesn't mean that you have to fly in crap, but it sure makes some of the annoying problems of VFR go away.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

You are right. Filing instruments is certainly the way to go on long trips with uncertain weather.

I am starting my IFR training now (again) for the second time.

I stopped short of the written last time because I didn't have my own plane. This time I will have no excuse!

Filing instruments is a great way to get priority treatment in the system too!

Besides, getting in and out of Rangeley almost requires an instrument ticket! Mount Washington is a weather maker!

Only Vlad is able to come and go without instruments because he is innately bird-like!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

If I still had my 7 or needed cross country capability regularly, my IFR currency would be priority number one. I haven't flown any IFR for at least 4 years now since I stopped flying for a living, but having the instrument ticket in my pocket is and was money very well spent.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

If I had the time, I'd get my IFR ticket. Right now, I'm a total chicken when it comes to weather. Yup….a chicken. But I'm comfortable with that, and adjust my flying accordingly. Having said that, my "checkeness" does limit my cross country use of the airplane at times.

Once I'm done looking down in the mouth, I'll go for it. :thumbsup:
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I talked to my neighbor/CFII about this and I think I can get it my instrument ticket pounded out by the end of the year. End of September is my goal to get my written completed.

From what I have read, I need 40 hours of "hood time". Of that, 15 have to be with a CFII, the other 25 can be with a friend who has an instrument ticket (Calling Peter Barrett - want some free beer in exchange for RV rides???). Does this sound correct? I am psyched to get the rating now!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

plbarrett2004
Class E

Post by plbarrett2004 »

Of that, 15 have to be with a CFII, the other 25 can be with a friend who has an instrument ticket (Calling Peter Barrett - want some free beer in exchange for RV rides???). Does this sound correct?
You've got it dead on. (40 actual or simulated, and 15 of those with CFII) The only additional point I would make is that the safety pilot does not have to be an instrument rated pilot IF you are conducting the simulated instrument time under VFR. The safety pilot would only be required to have an instrument ticket if operating under IFR (whether VMC or obviously IMC). Potentially gives you a few more opportunities to log the time.

That being said, you darn well know I'd be more than happy to do it anytime you want! I'd look forward to it!!
Peter Barrett
CFI, CFII, MEI
RV-8 Fastback - Fuselage in progress
Build Log @ papalimabravo.com
SEMPER FIDELIS