Life, distractions, and my interim project: Pitts S1-SS

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

tmbg
Class C

Life, distractions, and my interim project: Pitts S1-SS

Post by tmbg »

Hey folks, I know I've been scarce around here. I've made progress on the RV, but naturally not as fast as I'd like! It currently looks about like this:

Meanwhile, I spent a bunch of time building machines and making stuff. I built a CNC laser cutter:

Then later burned my house down with it:

(I'm not sure why the board is rotating this image!)

I subsequently moved my machine shop down to the airport where the planes have been, picked up another hangar, and am living in an apartment on the airport.

I've been spending a lot of time helping other people with their projects, setting up my hangars, fixing up my Cherokee, etc. A friend at the airport is a bit of a biplane addict, and had six biplanes, two of which fly. One of them was a Pitts project which he had started years ago, but ran into some complications on and got distracted by other things (a story I know all too well!) He put it on barnstormers to sell it, and I decided to buy it from him.

It was a flying S1-C, built in the 70s I believe, and when he bought it he sold the wings and tore the fuselage down to metal, stripped and painted it, and rebuilt it as new. It has an AEIO-320 built by Carlos Gann, making about 175hp, that was pickled until last summer and hasn't really been run in yet. We've run it a bit on the ground. It has a fixed pitch sensenich prop, and almost all of the fwf, wiring, interior work is done, all it needs is a set of wings. He bought a raven wing kit years ago, and made a significant mistake building the wings, such that they were useless, and that was his demotivating factor.

Here's how it looked when I bought it (cowl is done as well but wasn't on in this picture):

I got it with almost everything I needed to complete it, including a full set of ribs already built up, flying wires, some of the aileron hinges (but not a full set, some are missing), bellcranks and pushrods, etc.

I've since made up the spars and put the wings together, and I'm to a point now where I'm working on getting it rigged and trammeled before starting to glue leading edges, wingwalk plywood, I-strut bay plywood, and tip sheeting on. I'm hoping to be able to have the wings ready to cover by April, and ideally I'd like to have it flying in time to make Oshkosh this year, as they're doing a special for the 70th anniversary of the Pitts S1 first flight!

In other news, I helped some other friends finish up an RV6 that they bought as a derelict subaru powered RV and converted into a proper lycoming machine, and I've been able to fly it some:

Also, the biplane nut who sold me the Pitts also has this, and we flew it some Saturday. I'm hoping to get checked out in it and be able to fly it myself before long! It's a PJ-260 with a 300hp lycoming radial:

Last edited by tmbg on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Wow! Ian that is quite the update man! Sorry to see your home in flames...assuming no one was hurt... :oops:

You've got a nice setup living at the airport and I'm excited to see this Pitts come together. That thing will be a blast to fly!!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

All I can say is, .... Wow!
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Ian-

Wow, what an update! So sorry to hear about your house burning down. Glad to have you back as an active member! Keep us updated!!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

Logged another 1.5 in the RV6 today! Really loving flying it, and my insurance premium will thank me later! :D

Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!