"Introduce yourself here"

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Timbeck2
Class G

"Introduce yourself here"

Post by Timbeck2 »

Although I didn't see any recent introductions...

I'm one of the many who started the private pilot training years ago but never finished. I'm starting back up soon. I'm retired USAF and now work for the DoD as an air traffic controller at Davis Monthan AFB, Arizona.

I'm in the process of looking for a PA-28 to learn in and build up time until I can build my RV-7A. I recently joined Van's Air Force and have decided that although I'm a pretty smart guy, I don't know diddly when it comes to building airplanes so I can use all the help I can get.

Tim Becker

stevewiz
Class E

Post by stevewiz »

Welcome Tim and rest assured that you came to the right place when you have questions. I was in the same place as you a few years ago and this group is very knowledgeable and friendly. We are just starting our third kit (fuselage) for our RV7 and without this group I am sure we would still be on the empennage. Once again welecome
RV-7 N71SW reserved
Started on 10/8/2013
Working on Fuselage as of 5/10/15 95%done
started finish kit on 7/1/16
engine on order from Barett.Will be shown at their EAA booth and then delivered to us after show

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Yes, indeed, welcome, Tim! :)

You're definitely not alone. I also started my training as a college student, and finished the ground school, with only an hour or two of instruction in the air. That was over 40 years ago. I still don't have my PPL, but I'm working on it once again. Meanwhile, I'm nearly finished with my RV-7A. I just decided, what the heck... I'm going to build the airplane first. There was a lot of thinking that went into that decision. No regrets. So I'll be doing my flying soon to get fully trained, and hope to finish my PPL about the time my RV is ready to fly.

Meanwhile, this site is an excellent resource for friends and information to help you. I don't know how I would have done it otherwise. :)
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

Timbeck2
Class G

Post by Timbeck2 »

Well, I've found a Cherokee in Mesa and am in the process with financing. (I think I may have to sell one of my kidneys) If all goes well I'll have my own plane to finish up my PPL and build time while I build my 7-A.

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Welcome Tim. Good luck with your PPL training. You've joined a great site. Lots of down to earth advice if you need it.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

billieracing
Class G

Post by billieracing »

Hello,
Newly registered but have been trolling the forum for a while now. Received my PPL 6 months ago and its been a great journey. I purchased my RV9A empennage at Christmas which is complete and should see my wings in the next few days. Really enjoy the project itself and look forward to my first flight.
Great times
Billieracing,
Drilling into your finger is a defining moment in a builders life, embrace it.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hey guys, welcome to the site!

I dare say that if not for this site, my airplane would not have been completed!

I too was not an airplane mechanic. This site answered my questions and nobody once ever told me to "use the search function"!

There is so much common knowledge here that you can certainly complete the plane of your dreams.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Billie!

Welcome to RivetBangers! I will echo what CJ said - if it was not for this site, my RV would not of been completed either! Feel free to ask any question you have - we have a lot of the elite RV builders on here, and no attitude!

Let's see some pictures of the workmanship on your -9A!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

bruceh
Class D

Lot's of help here!

Post by bruceh »

Welcome! There is plenty of free advice and help here if you ask.

There is a section with builder's logs on the site.
Unfortunately, mine isn't listed there! But a link is in my signature below. I found so many great ideas from other builder's web logs and most of the best ones are active here.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P