2-Cents Worth???

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

CaptainWacoal
Class G

2-Cents Worth???

Post by CaptainWacoal »

I don't see anywhere on this website for me to add my "2-cents worth." No, I'm not talking about "my opinion" or "my questions", THAT comes almost automatically without much fore-thought. I'm talking about annual "Donations" or "Contributions/Dues". This site obviously takes someone (Spike, I think) a lot of time and money to run so well. I would just like to add my contribution. Van's forum site makes it easy to contribute, but this one, not so apparent. Any suggestions???
-JK-
-Retired FAA/A.T.C.: SFO Tower & Bay Approach (renamed NORCAL Approach in 2002)
-Owner of a C-150/150 Texas Taildragger/Aerobat
-RV-12 kit: Empennage, Both Wings, Flight Controls, & Fuselage complete. Working on "Finish Kit"

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

hahaha...

The real question is, Why is Mike not a money grubber?

The tagline says it all.

This site is "By enthusiasts, FOR enthusiasts"!

Just buy Mike Bullock a beer next time you see him and he will be thanked enough!

;) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

CaptainWacoal
Class G

Post by CaptainWacoal »

Thanks CJ for your response, and THANK YOU, Mike Bullock. (and sorry for giving Spike full credit for your fine website... thought HE is ALSO listed as a "chief rivet banger" and I'm sure he also deserves a sincere THANK YOU also). THANK YOU to both of you! And WILL DO reference the "buy Mike a beer", and Spike too!
-JK-
-RV-12 kit: Empennage, Both Wings, Flight Controls, & Fuselage complete. Working on "Finish Kit"

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I was always drawn to this site because it was a very different VAF - no advertisers, no arguments, just builders helping out each other. The site costs me next to nothing to run, and I enjoy doing it. I'm not looking to make any money off of it - I don't believe mixing business with hobbies, because then the hobby isn't fun anymore!

The one beer per member fee sounds like something I might need to implement!!! :beer:

You guys are more than welcome for the site. It's a lot of fun for me to keep it going.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

CaptainWacoal
Class G

Post by CaptainWacoal »

Well, Mike, at the risk of sounding redundant, I'll say it again, and I'm sure everyone on your very fine website will chime in with me... THANK YOU!!!
-JK-

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hmmm...

So then the real question is, how much does it cost to run the other site?

:roll: CJ
RV-7

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I won't comment on the other site, but I will say that getting to know Spike and Mikey over the years, along with all knuckleheads on this site has been one of the highlights of being in the EAB community.

Good on ya Spike! Good on ya Mikey! (As Snap used to say!) Where is that guy anyway???
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

CaptainWacoal
Class G

Post by CaptainWacoal »

Don't know the next time I'll be in Westminster or Baltimore (being that I'm on the "other" coast-I grew up on the East coast, but took my discharge from the AF on the West coast...winters a SOOOO much better), but I will definitely try to look up Mike and Spike whenever I attend any EAA events and buy them each a beer!
-JK-

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hey!

I would accept one too!

Lol

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

captain_john wrote: So then the real question is, how much does it cost to run the other site?
I can't speak for the other site, but these are the massive costs that it takes to run RivetBangers:

$20/year for domain registration for RivetBangers.com and RivetBangers.net
$48/year for the server (but this also runs RVPlane.com along with some other personal sites).

The staggering sum of all of my expenses is less than $68/year. Now I will say I have over 20 years of IT experience, so that helps a lot with me being able to find affordable servers to reduce the costs.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

bullojm1 wrote: I can't speak for the other site, but these are the massive costs that it takes to run RivetBangers:

$20/year for domain registration for RivetBangers.com and RivetBangers.net
$48/year for the server (but this also runs RVPlane.com along with some other personal sites).

The staggering sum of all of my expenses is less than $68/year. Now I will say I have over 20 years of IT experience, so that helps a lot with me being able to find affordable servers to reduce the costs.
Ok,Ill jump in. Having some experiences with sites like this *snicker* and also with a large number of years in the computer industry, I dont mind saying that Mike is being coy about the effort in keeping things running and is either thinking of his costs as only being attributable to the other sites, or has traded capability for that $48/yr cost.

Thanx for keeping it going Mike, we appreciate it :thumbsup:

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

CaptainWacoal
Class G

Post by CaptainWacoal »

My pleasure CJ, after all, from looking at fotos of your RV-7's first flight, I realized that we are/were almost neighbors, I grew up in Walpole, home of Massachusetts' "big house".
-JK-

stevewiz
Class E

Post by stevewiz »

Yes, we would like to thank Mike also for keeping the site going. It is so much easier to ask questions on this site without all the chest pumping.

Ohh and Mike we just bought some root beer flavored beer here in Wisconsin with a 6% alcohol rating. It was very good and we will hook you up with some in the future
RV-7 N71SW reserved
Started on 10/8/2013
Working on Fuselage as of 5/10/15 95%done
started finish kit on 7/1/16
engine on order from Barett.Will be shown at their EAA booth and then delivered to us after show

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

Oh, man...... It's going to get really expensive if we have to buy Mikey beer to keep this site running!! :beer:
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

JimmyH
Class G

Post by JimmyH »

Thanks for keeping the site going Mike, of all the sites I visit this one is by far the most civil, everyone seems to get along very well. Thx