A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

amaris
Class G

Post by amaris »

Hi Everyone,
New to the forum, but have visited a few times over the last year. I'm getting ready to start an RV-7A project, so I'm sure I'll be here plenty!
Allen

JBird
Class G

Re: New member

Post by JBird »

Welcome!!!

I also visited numerous times before joining. Good luck on the build.

Swan
Mooney M20J
N119MB

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Allen,

Welcome! How far along are you? Where are you building?

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

amaris
Class G

Post by amaris »

captain_john wrote:Allen,

Welcome! How far along are you? Where are you building?

8) CJ
Hi Captain,
Thank you. I'm about on page 20 of the preview plans, haha! I've got a 2 car garage, sometimes, when I pull the wife's car out, as well as a 20x10 enclosed area off the garage that will also be a work area. I'm in Santa Barbara area of CA.

Allen

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Nice! I remember page 20. It was AWESOME!!!

One car bay is all you need...

until you mate the wings, that is.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

If you want to press the fast forward button, Mark on this forum has a nicely done -7 project he can no longer complete up in Detroit (I believe???). He is at about quickbuild status and the work looks to be top notch!

http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/view ... =29&t=4769

Let us know if you have any questions! Here are some answers in advance:

Prime for aesthetics...
Go injected, carbs are dinosaurs...
C/S if you like to spend money...
Tailwheel...
Slider is cool, but not as good visibility as tip up... but tipups might leak...
Get an autopilot for cross country, unless you are Vlad...

These comments might be biased? lol

Build the plane you want!

Enjoy the build!

Maybe I will see you this summer, take you for a ride and help you with a few rivets. Do you have any beer out there?

:popcorn: CJ
RV-7

amaris
Class G

Post by amaris »

captain_john wrote:Nice! I remember page 20. It was AWESOME!!!

One car bay is all you need...

until you mate the wings, that is.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

If you want to press the fast forward button, Mark on this forum has a nicely done -7 project he can no longer complete up in Detroit (I believe???). He is at about quickbuild status and the work looks to be top notch!

http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/view ... =29&t=4769

Let us know if you have any questions! Here are some answers in advance:

Prime for aesthetics...
Go injected, carbs are dinosaurs...
C/S if you like to spend money...
Tailwheel...
Slider is cool, but not as good visibility as tip up... but tipups might leak...
Get an autopilot for cross country, unless you are Vlad...

These comments might be biased? lol

Build the plane you want!

Enjoy the build!

Maybe I will see you this summer, take you for a ride and help you with a few rivets. Do you have any beer out there?
Hi Captain,

I saw Mark's posting. Too bad for him. It almost feels like cheating if I purchased one that complete. Though I am looking for 7A, I have no tail wheel experience.

Thanks for your thoughts on the other issues. I've been debating C/S or F/P. A lot of people say it's worth every penny.

And yes, I have plenty of great local beer made not to far from my house. It'll be free beer for anyone coming to help. Thought beer will need to be consumed after working, I don't need any help making mistakes, I'll be making plenty!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

amaris wrote: Hi Captain,

I saw Mark's posting. Too bad for him. It almost feels like cheating if I purchased one that complete. Though I am looking for 7A, I have no tail wheel experience.

Thanks for your thoughts on the other issues. I've been debating C/S or F/P. A lot of people say it's worth every penny.

And yes, I have plenty of great local beer made not to far from my house. It'll be free beer for anyone coming to help. Thought beer will need to be consumed after working, I don't need any help making mistakes, I'll be making plenty!
Don't disqualify the tailwheel yet! I didn't have any TW time when I began my build. In fact, I started the RV project with the intent on building a nosewheel -7A. However, many locals at the airport told me not to make a decision until you take a few tailwheel lessons. I did transition training in a Citabria and found the tailwheel RV a complete delight to fly. I have landed in 25-35 kts gusty crosswinds without too much trouble - the big rudder of the RV really helps out. Also, it isn't a whole lot of work in the construction phase to switch between a nosewheel and tailwheel. If the kit price is right, it would most likely be worth it!

I have a C/S prop on my RV and I wouldn't have it any other way. It offers the best of all worlds - awesome takeoff performance, great cruise speeds, a speed brake for slowing down in the pattern and gives you more options in aerobatics.

Oh, most importantly...Welcome to RivetBangers! :welcome:
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

amaris
Class G

Post by amaris »

Don't disqualify the tailwheel yet! I didn't have any TW time when I began my build. In fact, I started the RV project with the intent on building a nosewheel -7A. However, many locals at the airport told me not to make a decision until you take a few tailwheel lessons. I did transition training in a Citabria and found the tailwheel RV a complete delight to fly. I have landed in 25-35 kts gusty crosswinds without too much trouble - the big rudder of the RV really helps out. Also, it isn't a whole lot of work in the construction phase to switch between a nosewheel and tailwheel. If the kit price is right, it would most likely be worth it!

I have a C/S prop on my RV and I wouldn't have it any other way. It offers the best of all worlds - awesome takeoff performance, great cruise speeds, a speed brake for slowing down in the pattern and gives you more options in aerobatics.

Oh, most importantly...Welcome to RivetBangers! :welcome:[/quote]

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the note about the tailwheel. It's on my list to actually go do. Floats is as well, but I don't have too many of those in my area. Who knows, maybe I'll be a convert. It is a pretty sexy profile when in that configuration.

How about insurance? Much difference? I've heard it can be pretty good amount more.

And thanks for the welcome!

Allen

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

amaris wrote: Hi Mike,

Thanks for the note about the tailwheel. It's on my list to actually go do. Floats is as well, but I don't have too many of those in my area. Who knows, maybe I'll be a convert. It is a pretty sexy profile when in that configuration.

How about insurance? Much difference? I've heard it can be pretty good amount more.

And thanks for the welcome!

Allen
My first years insurance was about $2600. Yes, expensive, however, I was a 150 hour pilot with 10 hours of TW time. After I passed the 100 hour TW mark, I think I pay around $1200/yr. I was scared of the little wheel in the back of the airplane because I didn't know any better. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. Love the TW!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

amaris
Class G

Post by amaris »

bullojm1 wrote:
amaris wrote:
My first years insurance was about $2600. Yes, expensive, however, I was a 150 hour pilot with 10 hours of TW time. After I passed the 100 hour TW mark, I think I pay around $1200/yr. I was scared of the little wheel in the back of the airplane because I didn't know any better. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. Love the TW!
I'm the same, just under 150 myself right now.

I will give the TW a try before I place any orders.

I came across your site through Google search, it's been a great read so far, thanks for that.

deborahvenegas
Class G

Post by deborahvenegas »

Hello Everyone. I'm Deborah newbie in the forum.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hi Deborah!

Welcome to RB!

Whatcha makin?

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7

amaris
Class G

Post by amaris »

deborahvenegas wrote:Hello Everyone. I'm Deborah newbie in the forum.
Hi Deborah,
Welcome!
Allen

amaris
Class G

Post by amaris »

bullojm1 wrote:

Hi Mike,
A kind local EAA member with a 7 is going to take me up next week so I can give the tail a try! Maybe I'll fall in love.
Allen

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Since Constant Speed was mentioned, I might offer an alternate point of view. I've had more than a couple RV pilots tell me that if they were to do it again, they'd save the money and spend it on fuel instead. RV's are such great airplanes, they are a winner either way! Besides the high initial cost, there's ongoing maintenance (which isn't cheap). My engine came with a solid crankshaft, so the decision to go with fixed pitch was an easy one for me. I'm going to have a 3-blade Catto prop. They're awesome! Check them out before you decide. If you're just getting started, you have plenty of time to mull this stuff over.
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

amaris
Class G

Post by amaris »

BSwayze wrote:Since Constant Speed was mentioned, I might offer an alternate point of view. I've had more than a couple RV pilots tell me that if they were to do it again, they'd save the money and spend it on fuel instead. RV's are such great airplanes, they are a winner either way! Besides the high initial cost, there's ongoing maintenance (which isn't cheap). My engine came with a solid crankshaft, so the decision to go with fixed pitch was an easy one for me. I'm going to have a 3-blade Catto prop. They're awesome! Check them out before you decide. If you're just getting started, you have plenty of time to mull this stuff over.
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the thoughts. The CS sure is a chunk of money. I've read/heard so many that say CS is the way to go, that it changes everything. I am torn for sure!

I actually have your website open in my browser to continue reading through. Nice work so far, how's the build coming along?

Allen