Watch that oil pressure on startup

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

painless
Class C

Watch that oil pressure on startup

Post by painless »

Went out to the airport today to get things organized to begin my conditional inspection for 782P.

When I pulled up to the hangar, I noticed what I thought was a big wet area buy a neighbor two hangars down from me. On closer inspection, it was oil that was obviously blown by a prop. I forgot to take a pic, but this "slick" was about 4-5' wide by about 16' long.

The guy that owns the hangar has a 172 with an 0320 E3D in it. Must have blown an oil line or fitting to have lost that much oil all of a sudden. Haven't had a chance to talk with him. Glad for him that it happened on the ground!!

Illustrated to me the importance of seeing that you have oil pressure on startup. Hopefully he shut down before any major internL damage occurred.

Hope that never happens in my RV. (There....RV related :wink: )
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

captain_john
Sparky

Re: Watch that oil pressure on startup

Post by captain_john »

YAH!

...on a similar note, one of the guys here at Plymouth has an Arrow. He lost his prop governor line on downwind!

Obviously, he was very fortunate to be directly over the field. He landed without a problem, but... imagine if it happened elsewhere!?!

Lately I have been practicing power off glides. It is very educational and informative!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!