Shout out to Stark Avionics!

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Shout out to Stark Avionics!

Post by bullojm1 »

I recently went through the process of swapping out my Garmin GNS430W for a GTN650. Why the change? I have noticed that the GNS430W's have been selling for a pretty penny -- when I look at what I had into it (original cost, WAAS Upgrade, flat rate repair), it was nearly what used units were selling for! I could sell the 430 and with a little extra capital have a brand new 650! Why the high demand for the 430W? I can only figure it is because the 430W is STC'd for older airplanes, and with the 2020 ADS-B mandatory coming up the older certified planes need a certified WAAS GPS receiver.

Anyways, I called around to a number of local and well known avionics shops to get pricing on a GTN-650. Everyone was selling them for about $9850. I called up Stark Avionics and John's price was about 7% less than everyone else...including shipping. A check went in the mail that day, and a week later I had a GTN650 in my hands. Stark has my business in the future. If you are in the process of buying some expensive electronics, give John a call!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

leffler
Class E

Re: Shout out to Stark Avionics!

Post by leffler »

Mike,

I'm glad that you had a positive experience. There are others that experienced the other extreme of that spectrum, including myself. Stark always seems to be the low cost provider, but you get what you pay for. I ended up purchasing my Garmin products from Aerotronics. They were only a few points higher, but significantly better support.

bob
Bob Leffler
RV-10 - Flying
http://mykitlog.com/rleffler