The "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

pfreeman
Class G

The "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website

Postby pfreeman » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:59 pm

Do you ever wonder what happened to the old airport where you learned to fly? The "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website, at www.airfields-freeman.com, is a free historical archive of pictures & description of 2,091 former airfields, in all 50 states & territories.

Meigs Field, Glendale Grand Central Air Terminal, Flushing Airport, and many others lavishly documented. Visit Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields to see them all!

Paul Freeman
www.airfields-freeman.com

gbrasch
Class G

Re: The "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website

Postby gbrasch » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:27 pm

It's a great site. If you haven't seen it, check it out. Glenn
Glenn Brasch RV-9A #90623 First Flight 10/4/13
1952 Tri-Pacer
KRYN Arizona
Owner, Airport Courtesy Cars Website
www.airportcourtesycars.com

Thermos
Class D

Postby Thermos » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:26 pm

I'll second that. I've spent a lot of time enjoying Paul's hard work! Kinda sad, though, when the airport you learned to fly at ends up on the website -

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/KY/Air ... .htm#rowan :(
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

pfreeman
Class G

Postby pfreeman » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:16 pm

The historical content on www.airfields-freeman.com continues to grow, with many recent significant submissions of historical material from readers. The site's total of airfields covered now includes 2,136 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Saugus Field MA, Morgan Field MI, Alexai Point Army Airfield AK, Haydu - Mt Bethel Airport NJ, Dunlap Airfield TN, Martins Creek Airport PA, McGills Ultralight Field AZ, Albany Field GA, Fort Lewis #1 Airfield WA, Dayton Airport WA, Skyline Peak Airport NC, and updates to many other articles describing former airfields. If you have applicable material, particularly pictures, please let me know!

Paul Freeman

pfreeman
Class G

Postby pfreeman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:06 pm

After transitioning the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website to a new hosting company at the end of last year, I'm happy to report that all of its content (1.3 gigabytes) is now available through a much more robust host.

I've also resumed adding new content to the site. Thanks to historical material submitted by readers, the site's total of airfields covered now includes 2,168 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Park Ridge Airport IL, Clear Ridge Airport NE, Fernley Airfield NV, Rubinkam Airport IL, Saugatuck-Douglas Airport MI, Iberia Parish Airport LA, Haulover Canal Airfield FL, Bassler Airfield MD, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, please let me know.

And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman
http://www.airfields-freeman.com

pfreeman
Class G

Postby pfreeman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks to historical material contributed by Kevin Walsh, Ron Plante, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs over the past quarter, the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website's quantity of material has grown to a total of 2,204 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Groveton Airfield NH, Elsinore Airport CA, Brightwood Airport IN, Reynolds Field NY, Holley Field FL, Wamsutter Airport WY, Pepeekeo Airstrip HI, Kona Village Resort Airstrip HI, Shippensburg Airport PA, McEnnan Airport MI, Rich Field TX, Payne Field MS, Sky Court Airport NM, Bassler Airfield MD, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, please let me know.

And I truly appreciate financial donations, without which the site could not continue.

Paul Freeman
www.airfieldsfreeman.com

pfreeman
Class G

Postby pfreeman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:41 pm

Thanks to historical material contributed by Lee Corbin, Kevin Walsh, Ron Plante, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs over the past quarter, the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website's quantity of material has grown to a total of 2,248 airfields, across all 50 states. This includes new additions describing former airfields such as Maricopa Airport CA, David's Field MI, Twin City Airport AR, Nottingham Field VA, Steven's Desert Airport CA, Point Spencer AFB AK, Senia Airport IN, North Augusta Airport SC, Scheidler Field MI, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman

pfreeman
Class G

Postby pfreeman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:02 am

2017 was a great year for the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website. Thanks to historical material contributed by Lee Corbin, Kevin Walsh, Ron Plante, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs, entries for an additional 117 airfields have been added to the website in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,280 airfields, across all 50 states. It includes new additions describing former airfields such as Tucson Airpark AZ, Yates Airport TX, Westwood Airport (1st location) CA, Holly Airport MI, Robbinsdale Airport MN, Northern Pump Airfield IL, Maveal Airport MI, Genesee Field NY, Hughesville Airport P, Applegarth Airfield NJ, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman

pfreeman
Class G

Postby pfreeman » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks to historical material contributed by Lee Corbin, Bill Grasha, Kevin Walsh, Mike Denja, Brian Rehwinkel, and hundreds of other aviation history buffs, entries for an additional 111 airfields have been added to the "Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields" website in the past year. This brings the site's coverage to a total of 2,305 airfields, across all 50 states. It includes new additions describing former airfields such as Rudy's Airport NJ, Piney Hollow Airfield NJ, Portsmouth Island Airfield NC, Sycamore Airport IL, Bergdoll Field PA, Mather Airport OH, Ace High Airport MO, Wood Field VA, and updates to many others. If you have applicable material about a former airfield, particularly pictures, please let me know.

Paul Freeman

www.airfieldsfreeman.com

Moench
Class G

Postby Moench » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:08 am

Only just discovered this site. All the compliments to the creator. I'm glad this information is going to be preserved like that for the future.

Return to “The Hangar”