Info needed for engine purchase

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Davea320
Class G

Info needed for engine purchase

Post by Davea320 »

I'm at the wing attachment point on my RV7 QB and need to start gathering info for an engine purchase. Right now I'm in the market for an IO360 180hp CS prop. Any info/suggestions would be much appreciated since I am a first time builder. I'm open to new, rebuilt or used. Thanks,

Dave

bruceh
Class D

Re: Info needed for engine purchase

Post by bruceh »

If you can go new, then Van's really has the best deal on Lycoming's. They usually have a deal going around Oshkosh to get a discount if you buy the prop/engine combo.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Dave,

I stalked the forums religiously until I found my engine. I was able to find a great deal on a brand-new IO-360, but the only caveat was it was a vertical sump. It took a little work, but it all came together in the end. If you're going the new route, as Bruce inferred, the best new engine deals from the factory is from Van's. Many have tried to have new engines built locally for less, but few have succeeded! Looking for a used engine is also an option - Peter on this board recently bought an angle-valve IO-360 from California and had it shipped across the country to MD. It does become costly and somewhat cumbersome when buying a second hand engine from afar, as you have to track down A&P's and look for deals on shipping. Maybe he'll chime and and give you a synopsis of his experience (i.e. lots of work, but a GREAT deal!).

In the mean time, the best position to be in is having cash or financing ready now. Also, get educated on all of the different IO-360 variants. Good deals, like real estate, don't last long. The educated buyer with cash in hand always goes home with the pretty (io-360) girl :grin:
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yup, what Mikey said is all true!

I was thrilled to get one of the last Mattitucks, bu tperhaps the best deat out there is a factory new Lycoming or if you can find a good builder a Superior or ECI would be a good option also.

Enjoy the build!

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Davea320
Class G

Post by Davea320 »

Thanks. Yeah my son and I are headed to OSH and plan to visit with the folks at Vans.