Knots or MPH?

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

Knots vs. MPH

Knots
79%
MPH
21%

Total votes: 19

captain_john
Sparky

Knots or MPH?

Post by captain_john »

I am thinking MPH. I know that with all digital solutions it is a simple toggle to swith from one to the other, but right now MPH seems logical. Van uses it when he refers to the aircraft and the Cherokee Six uses it as well. Also when discussing airspeed with neophytes, they understand it too.

What are you planning on or using in your plane? Knots or MPH?

Take the poll too!

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Knots. All the charts in nautical miles, other aircraft are in nautical mile, etc. It makes it easier to not have to convert when flight planning, etc.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Voted. Definately knots. I had a Cherokee that was in MPH, and I didn't like it for the same reason spike stated-charts and approach plates. Van's uses MPH 'cuz the numbers look better. I am going to have to use what I'm used to, Knots.

:)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Yes, ATC uses knots on their radar. Some avionics use only knots for some functions. MPH are for cars. Knots are for airplanes and boats. All airliners are set for knots, and so should your airplane.
Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

god, I can't even tie my own shoes. :lol:

I am going for knots. Thats what I have used my whole career. I ain't change'n for nut'n.

Why would Van want to try and make his numbers look good by putting it in MPH? They are good no matter how you look at them.
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Good question snap. I read it somewhere...I think on the Van's website on the story page.

You're right though, the numbers are great either way!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

jimrobinette
Class E

Knots!

Post by jimrobinette »

Have to go with knots. It is how I was raised in the Navy (surface and air side). The only civil aircraft I have flown is a Cherokee and the MPH really screwed me up. Like posted earlier, everything in aviation is done in knots, and will use knots for consistancy.

Jim

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

The only way MPH got introduced into aviation is that 115 MPH sounds faster than 100 knots.

I realize that actual navigation is something of a dying art (I have to admit that I depend on GPS and FMS much more than I really feel I should), but no navigator would ever waste time using MPH. Since the definition of a nautical mile is one minute of arc at the Earth's surface, you don't even need to have a mile scale to navigate using a decent chart (one minute of latitude is one nautical mile to more accuracy than can be used in nearly any real life situation).

210 MPH sounds much faster to my non-flying freinds than 180 knots, however, so I do understand the temptation for MPH.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

OK, so it is jut me anna nuther guy!

Time for me to jump ship. I am switching to KNOTS!

Whew! That was hard!

:lol:

Glad I did it BEFORE my panel was constructed!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Good choice CJ! :)

Glad we could sway ya!! :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I'm not the only one who voted for statute MPH but I gues I'm the only one speaking up. I like statute mph. I can't give you a good reason other than I'm just used to it. I don't read approach plates. ATC never tells me how many knots to fly. They have assigned me altitudes and courses but that's about it. However, I freely admit I live in a sheltered world.

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

My airspeed is marked with MPH on the outer and knots in the inner ring. My GPS output is in knots and I do all my flight planning in knots. I true out at 165 kts or 190 MPH. I know they are the same but 190 sure sounds better.

Dale
Golf Delta