RV-4 Instrument Panel

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 4.
Bob Mears
Class G

RV-4 Instrument Panel

Post by Bob Mears »

I am to the point of deciding the instrument panel layout for my RV-4. I want to put the Dynon 100 in it but it takes up a lot of space. I think I can use the Dynon 10A but some have said the view is too small. I think you sit close enough to the panel in the -4 where that should not be an issue. Is it? I want to put an ASI and Pictorial Pilot autopilot on one side of Daynon and a sensitive altimeter and vertical speed on the other (All standard size instruments). I also have a Garmin 196 I want to panel mount. Now, that leaves me with a wet compass to place somewhere, radio, transponder and engine instruments. I plan to put the fuel gauges down near the fuel selector valve so the valve handle points at the correct gauge. I have not picked a radio or transponder at this point. Anyone got a RV-4 panel layout that would help me decide location, etc. By the way I do not have the two inch extension on the panel. I cut it off when Van sent it by mistake because others had said it interferred with knee space. I am a stocky built guy at 220 lbs and not getting any younger. So, I am looking to someone who has addressed these issues. Any help out there?

Bob Mears
RV-4 SN 4021

aerial
Class E

Utils

Post by aerial »

You might check out this guys panel for space utilization. I don't think you could fit anymore instruments in a 4 panel!

I know it is not recommened to have the radios so low as you usually are changing freq per ATC in the pattern and should have your eyes up. Maybe put the COM on the panel and move some engine inst. down onto the center stack.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/unprotecte ... 6820_3.jpg

And another less full (I like this panel), but again I would put the com on the left and anything else you would use at low altitude (flaps) our under stress (ejection button :roll: ) , if you fly with the stick in your right hand.

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/unprotecte ... 0648_5.jpg

I know none of these incorporate the Dynon
Duane Cole T-cart 0-320 Full Inverted

svanarts
Air Marshall

RV-4 Instrument Panel

Post by svanarts »

HI Bob,
I managed to fit everything in my panel.  I'll try to locate a picture of it to send along.  I used the Micro Air radio and transponder, a MicroMonitor, a single Van's fuel gague with a selector switch, and then was able to fit a wet compass and then room for the standard size six pack of instruments.

RB Lists - RV4 <support@rivetbangers.com> wrote:
I am to the point of deciding the instrument panel layout for my RV-4. I want to put the Dynon 100 in it but it takes up a lot of space. I think I can use the Dynon 10A but some have said the view is too small. I think you sit close enough to the panel in the -4 where that should not be an issue. Is it? I want to put an ASI and Pictorial Pilot autopilot on one side of Daynon and a sensitive altimeter and vertical speed on the other (All standard size instruments). I also have a Garmin 196 I want to panel mount. Now, that leaves me with a wet compass to place somewhere, radio, transponder and engine instruments. I plan to put the fuel gauges down near the fuel selector valve so the valve handle points at the correct gauge. I have not picked a radio or transponder at this point. Anyone got a RV-4 panel layout that would help me decide location, etc. By the way I do not have the two inch extension on the panel. I cut it off when Van sent it by mistake because others had said it interferred with knee space. I am a stocky built guy at 220 lbs and not getting any younger. So, I am looking to someone who has addressed these issues. Any help out there?

Bob Mears
RV-4 SN 4021

rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/cgi-php/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8042#8042

--
Scott VanArtsdalen
RV-4 N311SV, FLYING!!

“When a man does all he can
though it succeeds not well,
blame not him that did it."
-- George Washington
Submitted via email