1st time builder's mistakes, 2nd time builder's perspective

A forum in which to discuss topics specific to the assembly of the RV 4.
svanarts
Air Marshall

1st time builder's mistakes, 2nd time builder's perspective

Post by svanarts »

This forum is chock full of first time builders which is why I love it here! The enthusiasm is so refreshing. I get tired of the jaded attitudes of the old hands on some of the other forums. You guys are so full of the joy of building that it's just good to be hang out here. I don't contribute much but that's about to change. I thought I could start contributing some perspective. So here goes.

I'm currently rebuilding my elevators after flying for two years. The reason being that one of my elevators started developing the infamous RV-4 trailing edge cracks. I ordered some thicker elevator skins from Van's then decided to order the whole dang kit. It will happen to the other one sooner or later right? I also took the opportunity to buy an electric trim kit for the elevator.

So here's the perspective. I've been drilling the left hand elevator skeleton to the skin and noticed that I didn't have the skeleton secured very well. the upshot is that I now have two holes on the TOP skin (of course) that are not where I want them to be.

These pictures aren't the best. My camera just didn't want to focus on shiney aluminum and I couldn't get the manual focus to work right.

Here's the first OOPS

Here's the second OOPS

This is what most new builders live in fear of. Not I! My plan is to keep right on going and place a little dab of bondo in those holes and then paint over them. There's nothing we can't mess up so bad that can't be worked around or fixed.

Keep on building, you're gonna' love this plane. I still do!

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

If the holes arent too close together, you could always use a NAS1097 countersink rivet, and double flush the 'oops' hole and plug it with a rivet.

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

That is definately do-able with the hole in the first picture, but the hole in the second picture has a corresponding hole in the spare that overlaps. I would elongate both holes if I drilled that one out. That's why I think I'll bondo over both of them.

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

Thanks for the post. I have found that the further I get in construction the easier it has been for me to look at a mistake and decide what my options are. Sometimes I order a new part and sometimes I can make the one I made the mistake on work fine. If there is any question I call Van's but those calss are fewer and farther between. I have found it has helped me look at things more objectivly in all areas of my life. Kind of strange but true.
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Yes, people stress over these planes too much. My favorite quote from aother forum is, "We're just going to Denver, not Mars!"

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

svanarts wrote:Yes, people stress over these planes too much. My favorite quote from aother forum is, "We're just going to Denver, not Mars!"
That's funny! We actually hear that very phrase in our shop fairly often. I quoted it to Lukk early in the process and now we both use it on a regular basis. :)
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee